Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What glue to use for dash upholstery / vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
Vinyl is hanging.

stromberg.gif Looks like poo poo. stromberg.gif

I don't want to take apart the dash to glue it and have it fall off later.

Sooooo...

What glue to use and what recommendations do you have for installing?

Measure twice. Cut once.

Thanks,

Pete
ConeDodger
First of all, I can't imagine doing this with the windshield in place. I suspect others have but I don't think it can be done well..
Second, the dash goes over the top of the trailing edge of the vinyl. I think you also have to take it out.
Taking the dash out isn't as hard as you might imagine. Something like 9 or 11 plastic nuts hold it in place.
The windshield can be removed without destroying it.

Contact cement is the answer to your question. Coat both surfaces and wait until it's tacky then carefully put it in place.

Sorry to complicate your life with the first part of the answer... sad.gif
Dave_Darling
3m Trim Adhesive. It's like a contact cement on steroids.

--DD
boxstr
CAMP 914 targa side vinyl should be glued on with 3M super adhesive. It is a spray on and can be purchased at Auto Zone or most upholstery supply shops.
The same is true for the dash vinyl.
Please note that the vinyl on the dash next to the windshield is a thin material and it is backed with a very thin foam material. This is to keep it looking smooth on a rough metal dash surface.
Spray on both surfaces and allow to become tacky as per the instructions on the can, or about 15 minutes.be sure to work out any bubbles under the surface.
Good luck, Craig at CAMP
Phoenix-MN
This works way better than any spray can product and can be brushed or sprayed on.

Click to view attachment

(1 gal ~ $33.00 , 1 can of 3M77 ~ $16.00.)
reharvey
agree.gif I use Weldwood
JStroud
One thing I found out the hard way, if it doesn't specifically say it can be used on vinyl DON'T use it. There are vinyl specific glues, I got mine from an auto paint supply store.
Hope this helps.

Jeff
boxstr
For the casual user of spray adhesive, the 3M super adhesive is more than enough.
If you are running an assembly line and spraying on vinyl material all day long then another source might be worth looking at.
CRAIG at CAMP
IronHillRestorations
It's very important that you clean off all the old glue and residue. If you don't do this, the residue will contaminate the new adhesive and your vinyl will come off. This is without a doubt the biggest pain in doing that job!

I like both the 3M and Weldwood. The spray 3M is hard to beat for convenience, and easy to find. Just be sure to mask off all the surrounding areas.

A good "pro" tip is to position the vinyl exactly as you want it, secure it with masking tape, and then pull back half of the piece, glue that half then do the other half. It can be very hard to accurately position the whole piece when it's got adhesive all over it.
BKLA
what do you use to clean the PPO glue? I tried acetone and that doesn't cut it.(the car got warm in the sun and all the dash vinyl curled and fell off. sad.gif )
IronHillRestorations
Razor scraper, lacquer thinner, adhesive remover, goof off, whatever it takes. I've got about five different solvents and just keep trying until something will cut it.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 23 2012, 06:25 PM) *

First of all, I can't imagine doing this with the windshield in place. I suspect others have but I don't think it can be done well..

Has anyone done this without taking the windshield out? How difficult is it? Any gotchas?
Valy
You don't need to remove the windshield. I did it with the windshield in place.
Just be careful with the rubber that goes between the windshield and the vinyl. It's usually fragile and will crack easily.
You do have to take the dash out...
pnewman
Perhaps I mis typed previously.

I am only changing the dash face material: around the radio / glove box and where the switches are under the gauge cluster. I am hoping that I will only have to pull the kick panel and loosen the dash top / cap... that is after disconnecting the battery and removing everything... the switches, radio heater control cluster loosened etc.

This is going to blow. barf.gif That's why I have been putting it off.
Ed_F
I use Sprayway Fast Tack 92 with excellent results. It seems you can only buy it at auto upholstery supply shops or online though.
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(pnewman @ Oct 3 2012, 12:38 AM) *

Perhaps I mis typed previously.

I am only changing the dash face material: around the radio / glove box and where the switches are under the gauge cluster. I am hoping that I will only have to pull the kick panel and loosen the dash top / cap... that is after disconnecting the battery and removing everything... the switches, radio heater control cluster loosened etc.

This is going to blow. barf.gif That's why I have been putting it off.

It would seem a bit of mis-typing perhaps?

That said, I just replaced my upper dash upholstery yesterday... not that bad at all! Assuming you have four hands, 12" long fingers, especially high patience and no where to be all weekend. biggrin.gif Have fun with the 2 plastic nuts behind the gauge pod. biggrin.gif

For those curious, I used 3M Super Trim adhesive with good results (so far anyway) and let it set up for 12-15 minutes as instructed by other World members. If you want it to look nice go ahead and remove the entire dash cap, it will be worth it when you're done!

Also... I can see why people recommend doing this with the windshield removed! Not to deter anyone. smile.gif
rhodyguy
i thought you were referring to the face...for the vinyl facing porsche used a thin foam tape with adhesive on both sides. the tape is about 1/4"wide. picture is from the 75'. the 70' has remnants of the tape that was under wood trim face pieces i took off. a local auto body supply may have a similar product. if you can't find it there try a hobby/arts and craft store. if you use spray adhesive it's gonna be permanent and you'll destroy it if you ever have to remove it.

k

Griffinroydonald
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 6 2012, 06:59 AM) *

i thought you were referring to the face...for the vinyl facing porsche used a thin foam tape with adhesive on both sides. the tape is about 1/4"wide. picture is from the 75'. the 70' has remnants of the tape that was under wood trim face pieces i took off. a local auto body supply may have a similar product. if you can't find it there try a hobby/arts and craft store. if you use spray adhesive it's gonna be permanent and you'll destroy it if you ever have to remove it.

k

I have done several of these and use a thin closed cell foam to pad the panel before placing material on it. I use 3-M glue and have been happy with it.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...er-project.html
I have the foam for sale as well at the Basket weave material. PM for details
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.