Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right Rear Brake Dragging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
somd914
Rear brakes had been dragging for a while, wheels felt a little warm after long drives but nothing bad.. Then the right rear got very hot with noticeable pad wear.

Parking brake cable adjustment and venting adjustment fixed the left but not right.

So cutting to the chase I ordered rear calipers from Eric last week (very nice) and installed this weekend. Well, right rear still drags. I can set venting with no drag and pump the brakes 15-20 times and feel drag. Pump the brakes more and the drag increases.

I guess I can try replacing the right rear hose (a few years old, stainless braid) but I'm open for suggestions.
reharvey
When this happened to me it was the brake hose. It had rotted inside and blocked the passage of brake fluid. Good luck
somd914
Ordered hoses from Eric this morning - seems to be the next logical step though my epxperiences with hoses have been leaking fittings or bulging under pressure giving a weak pedal. Hoses are only a few years old... Hopefully this will do the trick and get me back on the road driving.gif
somd914
OK replaced the right rear hose, bled the caliper, set the venting and wheel spins.

Pump the brakes 15-20 times and the right side starts dragging, keep pumping and the drag gets worse. Left side spins fine as do the fronts. I don't suspect the MC or pedal adjustment given only one wheel is hanging up.

I have noticed the rotor is not centered in the caliper, approx 1 mm inboard. Haven't torn apart the left side to compare, but my assumption is that it should be centered. I can understand being loose on the bearing and being off center outboard, but inboard? Do I have a bearing/hub issue?

euro911
The right side on my 75 drags too. We determined that thee-brake cable/sheath is the cause (old, kinked and missing some of the outer rubber coating). With the e-brake cable disconnected, the wheel does not drag. Ordered new cables.
somd914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 28 2012, 12:46 PM) *

The right side on my 75 drags too. We determined that thee-brake cable/sheath is the cause (old, kinked and missing some of the outer rubber coating). With the e-brake cable disconnected, the wheel does not drag. Ordered new cables.

Thanks for the input. When I started this mess I determined my parking brake cables were too tight, but as I've peeled the onion away, I just keep finding more layers. Even with the p-brake cable off I have this issue.

So far - adjusted p-brake cables, no tension on either side when released, both start pulling at same time as p-brake is applied; turned rotors; rebuilt rear calipers from Eric;new pads; new rear hoses. Three of four brakes work fine...

Still concerned about the rotor not being centered - time to see what the left rotor/caliper alignment looks like.

I've never had a brake system beat me up so badly... chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.