Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Non stock temp guage options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
Looking For a vdo temp guage with temp increments that will plug right in. Dreaming? biggrin.gif confused24.gif thanks!
Dave_Darling
Plug into what?

There are gauges that are close to the size of the center console gauge, but not quite. You'll need an adaptor ring or need to make one from a roll of electrical tape or some such.

There are senders that fit the stock "taco plate" that had a sender originally.

Some have been creative about mounting senders in cars that didn't originally have them.

In pre-73 cars, you will have to add a wire to carry the signal from the sender to the gauge.

--DD
speed metal army
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2012, 10:00 PM) *

Plug into what?

There are gauges that are close to the size of the center console gauge, but not quite. You'll need an adaptor ring or need to make one from a roll of electrical tape or some such.

There are senders that fit the stock "taco plate" that had a sender originally.

Some have been creative about mounting senders in cars that didn't originally have them.

In pre-73 cars, you will have to add a wire to carry the signal from the sender to the gauge.

--DD

To clarify.I want a VDO Temp guage.my stock guage works,and im looking for a guage that will plug into the stock wiring.
type47
Then it seems to me you just need a gauge and correct for the gauge sender. Put the sender in the "taco" plate and run a connecting wire to the connector, I believe it's under the battery/near the stock battery location. That connector is in the wiring harness. Then pick up the other end of the wire and it's connector, should be near the shifter, wire to the gauge. So the only "plug and play" is the short part of the harness from near the battery to the console connect area.
speed metal army
Sorry let me clarify.I have the stock temp guage in the console. I just want one that will plug in where that one used to.
Mike Bellis
If you are looking for a gauge with the same plug? It will never happen unless you build it.
914itis
I don't think the plug is what he is asking about, he wants to know what other aftermarket gauge is able to read his stock sender. All he wants to do is replace the stock gauge with an aftermarket without changing the sender I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.