Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V 8 conversion (Root werks)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sanman
Dan ( root werks) can do 6conversions for 4k. how about a v8 any decent v 8 conversion done for cheep? if so how much and are there any parts that must be purchesed that would drive up the cost ie. water pump. I want to here for speculators and doers.
sanman
I especialy want to here from dan. so how bout it Dan I got a spare tub, a v8, $100 and six pack laugh.gif
Mueller
andrew claims <$2,000 I believe, he's posted about it within the last few days.....
Brett W
If you don't mind cutting the chassis, for the price of the engine, cooling system, and adapter stuff you could drop the motor in the chassis with the stock accesory drive system. just notch the firewall. Probably could be done for less than 1000$. It will be a major hack job and will look it but you will have a V8 914.
boxstr
Cheapest, "buy it now". Get one already dome that has all of the right components used.
CCLINGASFORV8S.
Andyrew
I went with the hackjob/try my best route...

I could have done it for less than 1k... but I wanted something that was reliable, working, fast, and a clean install.

I've spent some money since these figures, but thats just car stuff... not something I had to get.. (like an optima battery... lol)

Its about a total of 1800... I was hoping for 1500.. but I spent some on little things.... (rad hoses, wires, coolant, oil, filters, bolts...).. I bought just about everything used. Ie front engine mount, clutch assembly (which I must say works very nicely at 9in and 2700 lb pp), trani mounts, heck even my exhaust (another 914-8...) My radiator was new.. aluminum (big fat big old big thing...), I also had my engine cleaned and bored along with a rebuilt kit, which I rebuilt it myself (750). Of course I sold my 2.0 for 700, and I included that in my price because I think it should be deducted..

I have a list somewhere.. dont know where...

Anyways, read my thread. lots of good info in it.
skline
I on the other hand, went with mostly new stuff and a little overboard on the engine. The kit was about 1800+ and the engine is around 1600 at this point. I am running 11to 1 pistons, RSHII cam shaft, roller rockers 55cc heads etc. The radiator alone was over a grand. Andrew already is driving his though and I started first. Kids have more energy I guess and ambition.
ws91420
Get one of your buddies to apply rto be on Overhaulin and get Chip Foose and crew to giv you a V-8. sawzall-smiley.gif
914forme
GRM challenge cars there has been a couple of 914 v8s in these, they don't fair to well, maybe drivers, may be mechanicals, but they are all done for less than $2004 with the car included. Well everything included.

If you go to the GRM website get on their board go to the challenge section post a topic looking for 914 V8 conversoin their ir a guy their selling low cost conversion kits, you still have to be a fabricator.

Now I can do it with a six-pack, but you forgot the Duct tape, it will run for maybe .5 seconds maybe even longer if you just let it sit and idle!

Oh you probaly want a driver, somuch for the duct tape idea, dang I was looking for a six pack. beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.