Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electric VERSUS air tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
i don't have a compressor, so i have been looking at electric tools.

such as an electric impact wrench and body saw - here are harbor frieght examples, but i'd prefer better quality brands.

it does appear that an electrci impact wrench puts out about half the torque that air does, 220lbs vs 400lbs.

any suggestions???
URY914
You get what you pay for with tools. But with that being said it depends on how much you plan on using them.
gothspeed
I used to use pneumatic tools all the time ...... but lately I found I use my electric tools a bit more ..... I like them smile.gif
underthetire
Don't cheap out on an impact. I did, and im sorry.

And the HF body saws SUCK ASS!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009HGCRO/?tag=h...c_df_B0009HGCRO
jimkelly
seems like you can't go wrong with dewalt and ryobi

does anyone make a decent electric body saw?

thanks
jim
underthetire
Not that I know of. Jig Saw won't work? How about a small Saws All?

And I will NEVER buy Ryobi power tools again.
trojanhorsepower
I second the suck ass on the HF body saws. I have the pneumatic version and hate it. I would advise against Ryobi also.
andys
I've got three HF air tools; 1/2" impact, 3/8" impact, and 3/8" air rachet and all three are really quite good (I bought them some 20+ years ago). I actually prefer my Ryobi"s over Makita's. 2 of 2 Makita's broke; both my Ryobi's are still ticking.

Andys
TargaToy
You can do a whole lot with metal blades in your jig saw and reciprocating saw (sawzall). Blades come in all kinds of widths and lengths. You can also get thin discs for your electric angle grinder. In really tight places, you can even carefully use a hack saw blade by hand but that's slow-going.

When you get a chance, try to pick up a decent compressor. Air tools are lighter and you'll find you can do much finer grinding with better control using a die grinder with abrasive discs.

I use my die grinder a lot for cutting but WEAR FULL GEAR! If one of those discs shatters, it can hurt you really badly.

Another good thing about a compressor and air (mechanics) tools is that they eliminate a lot of time breaking stuff loose and undoing fasteners.
mittelmotor
I think previous posters are correct in that air tools can offer better power in a smaller package, a real advantage when maneuvering in tight places. But I'm in the same boat as the OP...don't want the expense of a big compressor, the space it consumes, etc.

I've had excellent luck with the electric angle grinder from HF. Hard to go wrong for $18.99, and it comes with an extra set of commutator brushes.
underthetire
I never said I didn't like hf air tools, I have many that work quite well. The body saw just sucks. We bought 2 for a job, and neither would keep cutting. Went down and bought a ir,man that thing ripped all day long, and is still going strong.

My ryobi set was terrible. Batteries went south after only six months of light use. My Bosch set held up for more years than I can remember now.
TheCabinetmaker
Cheap tools are cheap tools. Period. I've had several cheap cutoff tools, both air and electric. They just don't do the job. I bought five cheap droplights in three years. They all broke when dropped, and just fell apart in months. Then I spent a hundred bucks on a snap on light and it has lasted as long as those five cheap o's put together and still looks like new. You get what you pay for.

Ryobi tools are disposable tools. It cost more to repair them than to buy a new one.

Gint
Different pneumatic impact wrenches have different torque ratings. I'd be surprised if electric impacts didn't come in varying torque ratings also. Usually the brutes cost more money. What else is new?
Mike Bellis
I love my 120V impact wrench. Much more torque and hammer than my air gun. It's a craftsman and not harbor freight.

Like the man said, you get what you pay for.
76-914
Jim, for what your doing and the number of times that you will use one; I'd suggest the HF sawzall that is on sale for 19.95. I have the expensive Milwaukee but when I am need a sawzall in an abusive environment (read mud, dirt or water) I will use the HF one. So far it's lasted 2 yr's on my truck so I'm pretty sure it will last a realtor much longer. The key is the blades. Buy some good Milwaukee, Ridgid or even Sears, bi-metal blades. 24 tooth should work fine. The blades that come with the HF sawzall are bi-metal, also. Only problem is, it is Chinese bi-metal and they ain't saying which two metals they use. av-943.gif Seriously, their blades are crapola. Also, when using any reciprocating saw you must hold the saw firmly against the surface when cutting or the metal dances with the blade. beerchug.gif
r_towle
If you are not a super frequent user of the tools and you dont have a really large compressor, the Electric tools work great, and better in some situations.

Dont worry about the torque on the elec gun...it wont be a huge issue on most of the daily needs.

I would suggest you get the electric impact, a good solid jig saw and a good solid sawzall.
The two saws will last 20 years and you can and will use them for many household carpentry needs as things change in your life.

Air tools are really only used for car stuff...

Rich
TargaToy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 26 2012, 10:56 AM) *

Air tools are really only used for car stuff...

Rich

Hey, hey, HEY! Not true!!! Why, just the other day, I used my pneumatic die grinder to hog out some rust on the metal top rail of my swimming pool! lol-2.gif

jimkelly
my electric tools + lincoln mig welder

TargaToy
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 27 2012, 07:26 AM) *

my electric tools + lincoln mig welder

I have the same heat gun! Use it all the time. clap23.gif
jimkelly
the wagner was the cheapest home depot had and it worked flawlessly.
rwilner
If you ever do work at friend's places, work at the track (e.g. swapping street and track wheels/tires), or want to take some tools with you on a long trip...pneumatic is not an option. Plus, to really use pneumatic tools you need a large 2-stage compressor. Any moderate compressor will be good for blowing down your workspace, airing up tires, and that's about it...no way they could run an angle grinder, drill, or impact.

Check out nascar -- those guys are all using battery powered impacts in the pits.

Plus, compressors are just a PITA. They're big, noisy, require maintenance, and it's expensive to get set up. For the price of a good compressor, hose, fittings, oil, and good pneumatic tools, you could probably buy top of the line electric tools.

Electric is the way to go IMO. I have ("borrowed") my dad's craftsman electric impact which is 15 years old and still kicks butt.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.