Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sandwich oil adapter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I'm assuming some of the tin around the oil filter will have to be removed to install a sandwich oil filter adapter and hoses for the remote cooler. Will this have a permanent effect on the passenger side heating ?
michael7810
Mine fit without removing any tin or modifying the heating system. I did have to use a different oil filter (smaller diameter NAPA filter) to clear the engine mount bar.
Joe Owensby
It can be done without modifying the tin. I have the oil cooler over the right drive shaft. I drilled two holes in the tin, and routed the hoses up through the tin, over the top right side of the engine, and then through the rear vertical tin. This keeps the hoses clear of the valve covers, and makes adjusting the valves easier. I think I posted photos somewhere on this site. JoeO
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Sep 25 2012, 05:52 PM) *

It can be done without modifying the tin. I have the oil cooler over the right drive shaft. I drilled two holes in the tin, and routed the hoses up through the tin, over the top right side of the engine, and then through the rear vertical tin. This keeps the hoses clear of the valve covers, and makes adjusting the valves easier. I think I posted photos somewhere on this site. JoeO

I lke that, and, will search for the thread... smile.gif
ClayPerrine
Use the oil filter from a 924 (Not a 924S). The filter base is the same, but the outside diameter is smaller and will clear the engine bar with the sandwich adapter installed.

No need to mod the tin at all.

Elliot Cannon
Mine fits great with absolutely no mods. needed. I use Mobil M1-109 or Bosch 3402 oil filters.
Krieger
Hey Clay, Elliot, these filters have the same specs as the " standard" filter our cars use.....right?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 25 2012, 10:02 PM) *

Hey Clay, Elliot, these filters have the same specs as the " standard" filter our cars use.....right?

Sorry Andy, I only know that they fit. I can't tell you anything about the specs.
Dave_Darling
Search for my thread about "getting ready for Parade". It has pics of my oil cooler installation.

I installed a sandwich plate adapter and lines to run a cooler near the right drive axle. No engine tin modification whatsoever. The lines run under the bottom of the cylinder head, but above the lower tin (partly to keep debris away from them). I did remove the right heater hose, flapper valve, S-duct, and J-tube. Some of them might be able to go back on, but I have been too lazy to try.

Hose routing: 90s out of the adapter, under the head, up just aft of the engine to the trunk floor, then to the cooler. The t-stat is next to the cooler.

--DD
type47
I installed a sandwich adapter w/thermostat and did not modify the tin or change from stock filters. That said, the PO who set up the oil cooler ran the cooling line through the heater channel/tube/tunnel to the front to hookup to the cooler so I don't have any 90's or stuff in the rear.
Dave_Darling
Here's my post with pics of the sandwich plate, stock filter, lines, and so on:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9603&st=37#

Note that the outlets from the sandwich plate are pretty small (I think 3/8") so running huge -10 lines doesn't really get you very much if any benefit. And they are more expensive and harder to route than the smaller -8 or -6 lines.

Going down to -6 made me nervous, so most of them are -8. There's one -10 line from the t-stat to the cooler, because that is a straight shot and I didn't want to try hunting up more fittings. wink.gif

--DD
jim_hoyland
I noticed you uswd 90's for the hose at the adapter and others used a straight adapter and then bent the hose. Any difference ?

I have the 2L SS HE and will have to remove the same parts you removed. Going to use 3/8" push on hose.

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.