Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Additives due to Ethanol in gasoline
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jersey914
My new 74' Teener has dual Dellorto DLRA36 carburetors and I want to make sure I am running the best fuel I can through this motor. Because of all the additives and Ethanol in today's fuels, I was wondering if anybody is adding anything to their fuel that helps to keep their fuel systems clean, protected, and running at maximum performance?

beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
flippa
Ethanol sucks! It causes huge problems with older carburated motors and in marine applications.

I use Seafoam in my boat. It is a fuel stabilizer and fuel treatment.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/
Ferg
I am using Sta Bil Marine in the 911 but now I just noticed that they have a regular Ethanol treatment for cars, So I will likely switch to that.
jersey914
QUOTE(flippa @ Sep 25 2012, 09:12 PM) *

Ethanol sucks! It causes huge problems with older carburated motors and in marine applications.

jersey914
QUOTE(flippa @ Sep 25 2012, 09:12 PM) *

The Motor treatment product?
tod914
I'm using the Seafoam too. Starbright Startron got good reviews. Might go with that for winter storage. FAA forbids Ethanol in planes. Saying alot for it. Here's some guidelines on various products.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additiv...h_e10_list.html
Mike Bellis
Ethanol works great on my turbo motor. biggrin.gif
carr914
Buy Ethanol-free Gas!
jersey914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 25 2012, 11:32 PM) *

Buy Ethanol-free Gas!

What country do live in Bro. No such luck in Jersey
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Sep 25 2012, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 25 2012, 11:32 PM) *

Buy Ethanol-free Gas!

What country do live in Bro. No such luck in Jersey

I can get it here in 106 Octane for $10.99 per gallon.

I guess everyone is going to get shitty California gas at some point... sad.gif
Series9
The only one in NJ, but I would also check marinas in your area.

Here in Volusia county, FL, I can get non-e gas on the airport for about $5.80, at a gas station nearby for about $4.80, or at two local marinas for about $4.80.
76-914
Or your friendly FBO at your city's local airport.
76-914
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 25 2012, 07:23 PM) *

I'm using the Seafoam too. Starbright Startron got good reviews. Might go with that for winter storage. FAA forbids Ethanol in planes. Saying alot for it. Here's some guidelines on various products.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additiv...h_e10_list.html

Not true. I used to run nothing but auto gas in my plane. It's a PITA cleaning the lead off your plug electrodes that is left behind by AvGas. Mogas is much cheaper. BTW, I didn't have any rubber fuel lines, either. Here is a list of some airports that sell Mogas. http://www.navzilla.com/mogas.php
'73-914kid
Do small airports still sell leaded avgas Kent? we used to get AVgas for the race cars at Palomar airport like 14 years ago, but they stopped selling to the public.. They had to fill directly into planes from the trucks. Just curious as we have the little oceanside municipal airport...and its got to be cheaper to get leaded aviation fuel than VP stuff..
yeahmag
My understanding is AVGas is not the same density as automotive gas and therefore would require massive changes to your jetting/FI maps.
HolyMoses
This might be a quasi-hijack since it doesn't address fuel additives but check out pure-gas.org to locate an ethanol-less station in your state. The site is a little dated, and as Joe noted there is only one listing in NJ, many locations here in the South.
yeahmag
All of CA is 10% minimum at this point.
ldsgeek
We have one gas station in NH that sells real gas (as opposed to e10) in a little town in the middle of nowhere appropriately named Freedom. I'd use half a tank on my motorcycle getting there and the other half on the way back, so no joy for us.
jersey914
QUOTE(Series9 @ Sep 26 2012, 08:04 AM) *

The only one in NJ, but I would also check marinas in your area.

Here in Volusia county, FL, I can get non-e gas on the airport for about $5.80, at a gas station nearby for about $4.80, or at two local marinas for about $4.80.

Thanks a lot! I like the airport idea. Is it safe to run 106 octane in my setup?
yeahmag
Safe is one thing, advisable is another. You want to run the minimum amount of octane within a safe limit. You would need a super high CR to need 106 and again, aviation fuels are not suitable for car engines.
pilothyer
Use this link to find real gasoline in your state:

http://www.buyrealgas.com/
Madswede
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Sep 25 2012, 07:06 PM) *

My new 74' Teener has dual Dellorto DLRA36 carburetors and I want to make sure I am running the best fuel I can through this motor. Because of all the additives and Ethanol in today's fuels, I was wondering if anybody is adding anything to their fuel that helps to keep their fuel systems clean, protected, and running at maximum performance?

The effects of ethanol in modern motor fuels can be simplified into two concerns:

(1) for older cars that were not designed to handle ethanol and methanol in fuels, certain polymer chemicals that may be found in fuel lines or other materials that come into contact with fuel are not compatible with ethanol, and will over time react and "corrode" to the point of catastrophic failure; and (2) ethanol grabs water vapor out of the air to the potential detriment of any non-galvanized metals that may be in contact with that water/ethanol/fuel mixture.

This last problem is exacerbated by conditions whereby the fuel is allowed to sit for a long time in humid environments (such as everywhere else but the desert) over winter time - hence the fuel stabilizing additive. Once water and ethanol mix, it's rather hard to separate them again without really knowing what you're doing with a distillation column. I doubt that fuel stabilizer will do anything about the first problem; only changing fuel lines to be compatible with ethanol will help for that, or for a complete solution run non-EtOH gas.

As for other additives ... confused24.gif Helliffahknow.
ConeDodger
I changed my fuel lines in both the 914 and the 240Z to EFI line. I also tuned the cars for it. I run about 12:1 A:F ratio...
GeorgeRud
Besides the problem with it combining with water and separating out of solution, the ethanol is a strong solvent and does cause as sorts of old varnished up parts to release all that accumulated stuff, which then blocks up filters and jets in carbs. Modern cars that are run on a daily basis seem to handle this relatively OK, but it's hell on cars that are stored and only run occasionally.

I have used SeaFoam and Stabil successfully, but have one car that needed the carbs and the rest of the fuel system totally cleaned and rebuilt from the old gas. Besides stinking to high heaven, it looked more like jello than fuel when it was cleaned out.

We're pretty much stuck with what the government requires, so have to come up with ways to live with it. I'd love to know what collectors (like Jay Leno) do to avoid this problem with their stored vehicles. My suggestion is to drive the car and try to keep fresh gas in the tank. However, after my last $$$ experience, maybe running the car dry may be a better course of action!
carr914
I would bet that Jay Leno buys 55 Gallon Drums of VP Fuel with No Ethanol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.