Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are these metal fan screens still available?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
This picture was in a craigslist ad for a 914. This looks like a metal screen versus the VW plastic one you usually see (or maybe this is just a very dirty plastic one). Was this ever a Porsche option or always VW aftermarket? Just curious.......

IPB Image
SLITS
Not metal ... they're plastic.

Don't know if you can still buy them. I have one somewhere.
billh1963
They look like a good idea. I've read the stories of people sucking in plastic bags or dropping tools in there. Looks like a way to keep that from happening!
jsayre914
I just did a google search, seems like out of stock everywhere, but used ones are plentifull.

part number

021 119 207
carr914
I sucked a plastic bag in once, took me a long time to figure out why it was running Hot - this is a good idea.

Calling Mikey!
gothspeed
I could use one of those too ... smile.gif
zonedoubt
Try here: http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/...cat=&page=1

Dave_Darling
I thought they were Bus parts?

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 26 2012, 02:53 PM) *

I thought they were Bus parts?

--DD

It is a bus part... I'm not sure why but I have heard it will run hotter with this? Again, not sure how that could be but...
JStroud
I bought one last year from busdepot.com I think. Was going to put it on my new engine....put engine in.... forgot I had it...still in the box lol-2.gif

Jeff
'73-914kid
They're more useful on vanagons/busses simply for dropping tools, and preventing sockets and such from being dropped into a running fan, like my coworker did on a running vanagon when we had the plastic screen off doing a belt change mad.gif For us though, it would work great for keeping the debris out of the fan.
eyesright
I removed the heater fan and plugged the heater inlets with grease rags. That seemed pretty secure . I checked them now and then and drove it that way for months. Then late one summer day my engine quit--rattled for a few weconds then siezed. I opened the deck lid thinking maybe I had run out of oil for some reason, but things were way too hot to handle or even poke around.

As soon as I saw one of the grease rags missing from the heater inlet, I knew exactly what had happened. When things cooled down a bit I retrieved the grease rag from the fan.

Bought new jugs and heads...ouch. Even the fan cage may not have helped when one is in extreme idiot mode. Now I use aluminum tape over the inlets.

I like to use a small mirror when checking timing. Once I dropped the mirror into the fan....d'oh! The fan cage would have bailed me out of that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.