Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prospective Buyer Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Subie914
Hi, I am looking at a 914 to buy. I am new to 914's, so I dont know a whole lot about them yet. I am aware of the rust issues (hell hole, etc.) and have checked out the car I'm looking at thoroughly. It looks to be in good condition in that department. However, it will need mechanical work since it has been sitting for a while. I am planning a Subaru swap for drivetrain. For suspension / brakes I am looking for a setup good for a nice handling weekend street and occasional track day car.

My question is:
How much money (ballpark) am I looking at to revamp suspension / brakes for a nice handling weekend street and occasional track day car?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it!
pt_700
welcome to the forum! have you driven a 914 yet? one of the best handling cars ever, in my rather limited experience. able to give sportbikes fits on mountain roads, especially downhill!

based on my research for a long stalled v8 conversion, you could swap in 911 components rebuilt for around 3k (patrick motorsports) or just upgrade shocks and bushings for a few hundred. plenty of room in between, just depends on your budget.
Subie914
I havent had the pleasure of driving one yet, but I am hoping to do that soon.

I would probably go the upgraded shocks and bushings route, aka as cheap as possible.

I believe I would fit into the "CSOB club" sometimes referenced on this forum. biggrin.gif
Spoke
Where are you located in the northeast.

Do yourself a big favor and get someone on this board to look at the car for you. Knowledge gained by having researched the 914 pales in comparison to having owned one.
76-914
welcome.png Northeast. Get one of our local members to check her out. Rust might be the prohibitive variable. You wouldn't be the first guy to dump $$$$$ into and then abandon a project because of rust issues. Good choice on the Suby conversion. Hopefully, I'll be next. smile.gif
flippa
Have someone that knows these cars take a good look at it. There are lots of places that the rust can hide on these cars.

If you are serious for this car, and the seller doesn't mind, pull out the backpad & carpets to see the firewall, floors and interior structural parts. Most (if not all) of the Northeast cars I have looked at have serious issues hiding under the carpets at the floor/inner longitudional and along the rear floor/firewall.

Bring a floor jack & get a real good look at all the suspention mounts, console & bottom of the longs, all big problem areas.

I have looked at many cars up here that while they may look great are nothing but parts cars due to the rust.

Feel free to give me a call if you are in Eastern Mass.
seanery
Lots of NE guys here that would probably help out.

Take a magnet if you look at it or another again. You might find some bonds, etc...

Suspension wise get some Koni yellows and some new rear springs. (I love my 125s) If the car has no sways then drop those in. Make sure your brake lines are good, the rubber ones, and the calipers are good and you'll love the way it handles!
underthetire
Before I knew about the hh issue, I bought one that looked pretty good there. Pans were rusted, but figured I could fix that. Then found out it looked good cause someone glassed the hell hole headbang.gif

Still made money on that one though.
struckn
QUOTE(Subie914 @ Sep 26 2012, 12:06 PM) *

Hi, I am looking at a 914 to buy. I am new to 914's, so I dont know a whole lot about them yet. I am aware of the rust issues (hell hole, etc.) and have checked out the car I'm looking at thoroughly. It looks to be in good condition in that department. However, it will need mechanical work since it has been sitting for a while. I am planning a Subaru swap for drivetrain. For suspension / brakes I am looking for a setup good for a nice handling weekend street and occasional track day car.

My question is:
How much money (ballpark) am I looking at to revamp suspension / brakes for a nice handling weekend street and occasional track day car?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it!

Many talk of conversions but why not get it on the road stock first to realize that they are a lot of fun as is. You want to jump into a convesion that will take several years and thousands of dollars. Remember that the original set up is based on an air cooled flat four mid engine. The conversion to the Subie means converting to water cooled and that in it'self is a major modification. I think if you drove a stock 914 you would understand these are street legal Go Carts and a blast to own and drive.
Warning though, you will always be working on something to keep it on the road.
Great hobby cars, questionable as a daily drivers.

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.