Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Alternator Belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Anyone know how to change the alternator belt.

I guess there are two spots on the pully. One for AC and one for alternator?
Car has not run since 1985 so I assume the AC does not work.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dlee6204
Your a/c will be driven by a pulley behind the front fan. Only your alternator belt will be in the front.
kbrunk1
Be in the front...

sorry newbie... front where?
kbrunk1
Found it!

Do most folks just screwdriver it off?

No adjusments here?
Dave_Darling
Check the left side of the motor. There should be two oblong plastic plugs, about 3" long and 1" wide. Remove those, and you will see the pinch bolt on the alternator. On my car, it's a big allen-head bolt; I've seen regular hex-head bolts and triple-square bolts like the CV bolts.

Loosen that bolt, and push the alternator inward and upward. That will make the belt slack, so you can pop it off. Work the new belt around the fan pulley, then around the alternator pulley. Then push the alternator back down and to the left to tighten the belt, and tighten the pinch bolt.

--DD
balljoint
I find it easier to pull on the alternator from the passenger side of the engine bay once you have the adjustment nut loose. The pivot bolt on the bottom is a pain to get to so if you can avoid loosening it... unsure.gif
930cabman
Changed mine today. Upper hex bolt is easy to loosen, but only one turn maximum. Lower (pivot) bolt can be accessed easily from the bottom with a 13mm swivel socket and a couple extensions. Also, one turn maximum. Alternator was "stuck", but I wrapped a piece of rope around the pulley and gave it a good tug from the passenger side. The most tricky part was threading the new belt over the pulleys. I was unable to use a mirror, so I was able to get it on the fan end by feel. A bit of PB helped a little, but about an hours job.
Jamie
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 27 2012, 02:16 AM) *

I find it easier to pull on the alternator from the passenger side of the engine bay once you have the adjustment nut loose. The pivot bolt on the bottom is a pain to get to so if you can avoid loosening it... unsure.gif

Can you guys supply a fan belt part number, I want to buy a spare to carry while traveling. Dad left 2 different length belts in the car long ago and they are quite stiff by now and not to be trusted. confused24.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 28 2021, 06:08 PM) *

Can you guys supply a fan belt part number, I want to buy a spare to carry while traveling. Dad left 2 different length belts in the car long ago and they are quite stiff by now and not to be trusted. confused24.gif

I got one at NAPA, local store had it on the shelf
Jamie
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 28 2021, 08:17 PM) *

Did the NAPA belt have a part number, or did they have a cross reference that was correct? confused24.gif
bbrock
this is what I use. Contitech 10X740 - OEM supplier https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/0391...76&DID=2175
Jamie
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 29 2021, 09:50 AM) *

this is what I use. Contitech 10X740 - OEM supplier https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/0391...76&DID=2175

I should have supplied some specifics, my belt is for a 73 1.7L and don't know if they are all the same, although I doubt it. I'll check with Pelican Parts since they are probably more specific with our historic vehicle specs.
930cabman
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 29 2021, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 28 2021, 08:17 PM) *

Did the NAPA belt have a part number, or did they have a cross reference that was correct? confused24.gif

The NAPA P/N is NBH 25-7380. I would bet all our Type 4 (914/4 cyl) engines take the same belt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.