Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro thread.... New to the 'World' :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalfthegray
Hello all, my name is Steve and I have been a lurker for just over a month and was on the hunt for a 914. As of today, I'm an owner!

I'm not new to 914's however. My first car, (1987) was a 1975 914. I loved it! Unfortunately though my time with it was short. Only 4 - 5 months after buying my car the 1.7 met it's demise and the car was hauled home on a trailer. Being in high school and broke, it was parked for over a year and then finally sold. sad.gif I've never forgotten my first car, and remembered how much fun it was.

Well, fast forward 25 years later, I'm back in the game. Today my 914 arrived. Most of you have seen it as it belonged to a member here who lives in Houston, Texas. The car had been for sale for quite some time and I had spoken a few times with the owner before finally coming back and purchasing the car. It's a black on black 72 with a 215 Buick V8 conversion. Definitely more kick then my former tired 1.7 motor had. smile.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I've got a handful of things I plan to do to the car. Nothing against slant nose owners, but I'll be putting the car back to the 914 GT front fenders so as to match the rear flares. I just don't care for the slant nose fenders. Also, I may fit the original front bumper as well, I'm not sure. At this point I'll have that front hood adjusted so as to eliminate the rather large gap. I do have a lower rear valance which came with the car that I'd like to try to fit as well.

Over the course of the winter there are some mechanical issues I'll be working on as well. I received along with the car a new rebuilt side shifter trans as well as the JWest shifter and linkage. My hopes is to get this installed as well as fix a leaking timing cover (I think) gasket. She's leaking pretty good. I was made aware of all this by the seller however, so I planned for the project. I'm actually looking forward to the project. It'll be fun to have a car I can actually do something myself for a change. All my other cars are newer and well beyond my abilities.

Possibly going to do a five lug conversion as well. Still on the fence with this for now. I kinda like the mini-lights. I've considered powder coating the centers to black and leaving the outer brushed aluminum. Any thoughts?? Good idea??

Well, I won't ramble on for ever here. Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself to the forum and post a few pics of the new car. Feel free to comment good, bad or ugly. smile.gif
porbmw

Nice car!
You already know they are a lot of fun
Welcome home, prodigal son
welcome.png
ThinAir
welcome.png
I like your plans for the car. It's gonna be a sweet ride!
ConeDodger
Unless you are in to body work, going back will be tough but welcome.png
wingnut86
welcome.png

Do the right thing, put a Six in that Teener piratenanner.gif

Maybe even a Suby beer.gif
aharder
welcome.png
JawjaPorsche
welcome.png
rnellums
You have already posted more photos than the PO did in his for sale ad. Keep them coming!

-Ross

welcome.png
Gint
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 27 2012, 05:23 AM) *
You have already posted more photos than the PO did in his for sale ad. Keep them coming!
That's exactly what I was thinking! Nice car! welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png Another MN car! Cool! assimilate.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png I like where you are headed with this car.
Lennies914

agree.gif

welcome.png
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
Cupomeat
Welcome, welcome.png and I got my first 914 in 1987 and it was a 1975 914 as well!!! I've never let mine go and still have it 25yrs later...

Maybe we are some sort of doppleganger twin... not sure if I am the evil one... Nah... if we were, i'd have to have a white 914 with a really small motor right now.

Enjoy that car, it looks like fun and I agree about putting the original fenders back on.
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 27 2012, 08:23 AM) *

-Ross

welcome.png

agree.gif

The previous owner's pictures that were posted didn't really do the car much justice, but it actually is a fairly good looking car! I like your plans to get rid of the slantnose, its absolutely awful!

Good luck with the project and welcome.png
seanery
Welcome back to the madness!!

welcome.png
euro911
Cool. Don't paint the minilites sad.gif ... especially if you're planning on going 5-lug. I think you'll get more $ for them if they retain the factory finish confused24.gif

Looking forward to your 'build thread'.

welcome.png
Andyrew
Congrats! I have been dying to see real pics of this car for a while! Looks like a wonderful purchase!
infraredcalvin

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 27 2012, 06:58 PM) *

Cool. Don't paint the minilites sad.gif ... especially if you're planning on going 5-lug. I think you'll get more $ for them if they retain the factory finish confused24.gif

Looking forward to your 'build thread'.

welcome.png

agree.gif

I like the minis as they are, nice look.
gandalfthegray
Hey guys, thanks for the welcomes!

Well I took the car for a 200 mile drive on Wednesday....and made it back! driving.gif She's definitely due for some rework- lol. The linkage worked itself further and further out of adjustment during the drive that it took several tries to get 3rd or 5th gear. I finished the last few miles unable to get 5th at all. She used 4 quarts of oil! blink.gif So needless to say, it's off the road for the duration of the winter.

In regards to the body work, I'll be leaving that up to a shop. I've got a guy here in southern Cal who did some work for me in the past, and they were reasonably priced. I'm going to go with a set of the QRS glass GT fenders. Looking at about $1200 - $1500. I'll be getting this done in Cali and then send the car home to Minnesota. I'll tackle engine, trans etc at home.

I did notice that even in 90 degree heat it kept pretty cool. Glad to see this. We don't see many hot days in northern MN as I'm assure the Alien would attest to, so I'm thinking I'll be ok here. smile.gif

I'm not certain of the 215's future. I'll give it a fair shake though and see what some carb tuning and dyno have to say. I'd say power is closer to 150 hp vs 200+ that was suggested. The dyno will tell the tale though. I've always dyno'd my car so I know exactly what I've got. An aluminum LS motor could be in the future although to soon to judge. My other car is making 600+ so it's skewed my perception of acceleration somewhat.

There's much to be done though, and I work over the road so don't look for it to be done real fast. My goal is to be on the road with freshened drivetrain by spring. aktion035.gif
TargaToy
Welcome to the World!

Let's see some pics of the engine compartment...and the cooling dept up front.
shelby/914
Nice ride, and welcome back. Love black 914s especially since I have one too.

Dan
gandalfthegray
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Sep 29 2012, 03:44 PM) *

Welcome to the World!

Let's see some pics of the engine compartment...and the cooling dept up front.

I snapped a couple pics of the cooling system up front, but never thought to take any of the engine compartment. I think there is one engine shot on the old for sale thread. Oh well, I'll get some pics next time I see it. smile.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

The front looks clean and well laid out. I'll likely put the witing into a plastic sleeve to tidy it up a bit as well. smile.gif
Phoenix-MN
welcome.png

Nice car, it's great to have another Buick powered car in MN piratenanner.gif We'll have to talk

Here's my 3.8 power-plant

Click to view attachment
jersey914
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.