Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm a little confused...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

I just got my new shocks today (thanks Alberto!) and I'm a little confused about them. The shocks are Bilsteins, and I have Bilstein strut housings. The old shocks were held in place with a roll pin at the bottom of the strut. The new shocks have a gland nut on the top, and a metal housing over the shock body. My old shocks didn't have the metal housing, and I'm pretty sure I have to remove it to insert it into the strut. Does anybody know how to remove this housing? Does any of this make sense? I can take picutes if needed.

Thanks,
Jeroen
Dunno what you got, but I do know that there are Bilsteins for Boge struts, so maybe that's what you have now...
Ask the seller what type of struts these came out of
mike_the_man
Looking on Bilsteins website, they only list one part # for a 914, so I'm thinking that this housing must somehow come off. Any thoughts from any one?
Mueller
there are Bil. for Bil. struts and Bil. for non-Bil. struts....pictures would be nice to help
mike_the_man
OK, a couple of pics of the new shock.
mike_the_man
My old shock doesn't have the circled housing on it. From the first pic, it looks like it may be removable by undoing the end cap with the two holes. confused24.gif
mike_the_man
Forgot the pic
lagunero
Hi Mike, those are Bils for Boge struts. I'm not sure if they work with your Bils struts. I'm converting to 5 lug so you can have my struts that housed those inserts, if you have a 4 lug. The metal "cap" or housing protects the insert from dust and debris and some people toss them away. The gland nut screws (holds) the insert into the strut (Boge) DO NOT remove anything but the nuts. Email me what you what to do.
mike_the_man
Thanks Alberto, I think I'll call Bilstein tomorrow and see if I can use these with my Bil struts. I didn't realize that there would be different shocks for the different struts. I'll let you know what I plan to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.