The excellent racing journalist was 91.
Godspeed Chris.I Remember his voice when as an early
teen tuned into the Daytona 500's and on ABC covering
Indy.

Dion
rick 918-S
Wide World of Sports.
GeorgeRud
I subscribed to his National Speed Sport News back in the 70s, and always enjoyed his perspective and knowledge of all aspects of motorsports. He was one of the greats, and I hope he enjoyed his ride!
beech4rd
I remember seeing him riding around Lime Rock on a golf cart during the Vintage Fall Festivals, giving out copies of his magazine. He was always very happy to be around race cars. Like a big kid.
URY914
I saw him about three years ago. He was an icon.
BKLA
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 28 2012, 11:42 AM) *

I saw him about three years ago. He was an icon.

agree.gif

Always looked forward to his commentary.

Met him a couple of times in the early 80's at Long Beach. He seemed to know everybody, but he was nice, down to earth and very willing to talk with me (a young college student at that time), a lowly SCCA pit official with big racing ambitions. Was genuinely interested in what I was racing at the time... and remembered me at the next Long Beach event.

He will be missed!
Jgilliam914
Growing up in the 60's if it was racing there was the distinctive voice of Chris E! He was the voice of many different forms of racing and we all learned from his insight and his pit reports. My favorite was after the then World 600 in charlotte on memorial day weekend. It was ran during the day time then and the temps in the upper 90's. Although the race ran at a all time record then one announcer who stayed in the A/C the whole race said that maybe they will increase the distance next year! Chris never missed a beat and said if they did they would be doing the race without him. Chris a class act to the end. He was has been missed from trackside reporting for years now but his memory will always live on!
bcheney
A huge loss for the motorsporst community. Chris was a real gentleman...and a real journalist...not a driver turned TV guy...A true fan with a passion for racing. RIP....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.