Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I do it, or pass on it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I may have an opportunity to work for a car. The guy has a Ferrari BB512 that is half taken apart, he also has a 1980 Porsche 911 that has the engine and transmission out of the car. So both cars are taken apart. He wants the Ferrari put back together and is having trouble finding someone to do it for him. He once told me I could have the 911 for about 8 grand and I told him it wasnt worth it. The deal is, I put the Ferrari back together and he signs the 911 over to me. I would get all the parts with the Porsche. The 911 is an 80 as I mentioned, but it was originally a targa, now it is a cabriolet. They did a nice job of the conversion but being an 80 model, it will never be worth as much as if it were original. Should I even bother with the job or just pass on it. The 911 does need a lot of work also. The engine is in pieces 3.0 liter I think, and the car needs a few dents removed and then repainted. The Ferrari, has the drive line all installed but not connected up correctly and lots of small parts that I will have to scour a shop to collect them all. A dealer would charge him about 10 to 15k to put it back on the road. I think that is about all that I know about this so far. What do you all think?
JeffBowlsby
I would ask myself how much time - realistically- you can devote to this and factor that in. The ChalonV8 is not done yet and how long has that taken? How much more time and $$$ will it take to get the Chalon 100% complete?

And you are thinking of a another project already? ohmy.gif
skline
Well, this would be a project for someone else and a 911 for me in the future to play with. I am still weighing all the options. That is why I was asking advice.
scruz914
Pass.

Unless he will take the 911, you can put it together for him. You get the BB512. That is the deal you should go for. It would be worth setting aside the work on the Chalon to get the 911 working; you get the F-car. The P-car has been compromised. Not worth the effort it would take for you to make the F-car and the P-car right.

-Jeff
Lou W
bowlsby Posted on Oct 28 2004, 08:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would ask myself how much time - realistically- you can devote to this and factor that in. The ChalonV8 is not done yet and how long has that taken? How much more time and $$$ will it take to get the Chalon 100% complete?

And you are thinking of a another project already?  
agree.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 28 2004, 09:40 PM)
And you are thinking of a another project already?  :o

Scott,

Don't worry about thinking of another project. It is a defect that most of us posses.
Lou W
Actually, you'd be picking up two more projects, plus working on your Chalon, and still have to work your regular job. wacko.gif
skline
The F car is worth more than 25k as it sits, I highly doubt he would even consider that. Besides, his daily driver is an original 930 cab. The guy knows what the cars are worth. But he is anxious to get the F car back on the road. It is stored at one of my clients right now along with 2 other cars he owns and they want them out of there. Besdes, I would really like to have that 911 and work on it over the next few years. The engine is complete and all fresh, its just got the heads taken off for rebuild and they never put them back on. I could finish it and have it on the road with about 100 hours or so. Kind of like the Chalon, its not a car I need, its just something I want. Time has nothing to do with it.
SLITS
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 28 2004, 09:40 PM)

And you are thinking of a another project already? ohmy.gif

Jeff said it for me. I was goingf to start calling you Glenn (Sager).

I don't think I would screw with an F-Car. The Italians can't even build them right. biggrin.gif
Mrs. K
IMHO if you can wait till you are finished
with the Chalon...then I would do it if
you think you can fit it into your busy
schedule. rolleyes.gif

Also, would you have room at your house
to store another car that is a project?

Things to ponder sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
skline
I could bring the ferrari here but the Porsche I may have to put at a friends house for the time being. I know you have room at your house if you can park your cars out in the driveway. biggrin.gif
JB 914
Sounds like a "TAR BABY" to me.

A Ferarri. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

When are you considered 'done'?

Scotty your one of my best friends, but, this is a TAR BABY. You need to finish your Chalon so you can enjoy it!!!
boxstr
Scott I had a 308 F car for a short while, a basket case, I was never so glad to see a car exit my garage than that one. I thought, this will be a piece of cake, just put everything back together and Magnum PI.
First I inventoried the parts, small items missing. Pricing of those parts totaled thousands, and not all of them were readily available even from a Ferrari dealer.
After sitting I needed space for anotherdriving car, so the Ferrari was gone like a bad case of gas.
The only F car I want in my garage is a Ford.
Go buy Mr CHUs Porsche.
CCLINGONEANDFORGOTTEN
skline
QUOTE(joe buckle @ Oct 28 2004, 10:28 PM)
Sounds like a "TAR BABY" to me.

A Ferarri. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

When are you considered 'done'?

Scotty your one of my best friends, but, this is a TAR BABY. You need to finish your Chalon so you can enjoy it!!!

I think you may be right Joe, and after hearing Craig's story, It might be a little more than I want to deal with. You still up? Call me.
bob91403
Tell him you'll do it for 5K plus parts, and the 911. You're right, the labor makes the 911 not worth 8K. But, they're both not worth much to him the way they are. You've got no reason to give away your labor, or undercut anyone's price. Make it worth your while, and his. He still gets the job done cheap. You get what you want, he gets what he wants. It's a win win. "There's nothing wrong with someone trying to take advantage of you. There's something wrong if you let them." slap.gif
skline
They guy is a tight wad, I think everyone is right and I think I will just let this pass. I will find a 911 someday to play with but for now, I will just finish my little Chalon and play with it for awhile.
drew365
I agree that you'll never be done with the Ferrari. The cost and hassle of finding missing parts is unbelievable. The 512 was never imported to the U.S., it was a grey market car, so it will be worse getting it together and registered. All that for a cut targa 911 doesn't seem worth it.
d914
We all need to get out of the garages and Drive. The "one more thing" itis is killing us.... DRIVE YOUR CARS...

I'll be home pulling the gas tank out of mine, just one more thing.
Root_Werks
I have recently passed up on a few projects offered to me. Trying to get one done, then another, then another before starting on more. It is a tough thing to do. I would pass. Sounds like this guy opened a can of worms and is looking for someone to find all the worms and put them back for pennies on the dollar.

It's up to you, but I would pass on it.

smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Or

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.