Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kwlane
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
I used a homemade spring compressor to put what I was told are 100lb springs on to new Bilstein shocks. I carefully measured the length of the compressed springs on the original Boge shocks but when I relaxed the spring after putting on shock are not on completely straight. Not sure if this is a problem or not. I only did one so far. Don't want to buy a new expensive spring compressing tool if don't have too but if that is needed to do right will have to do so.

Any advice?
yeahmag
Never seen that one before. Are the "ends" of the springs in the recesses in both top and bottom perches? If so I'd pull the spring out and see if it does that when fully relaxed.

As it is now it will rub on the shock body for sure...
Jeffs9146
Lower the bottom spring purch and it should solve your problem!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(kwlane @ Sep 28 2012, 01:40 PM) *
I used a homemade spring compressor

I never had to use a spring compressor on *any* 914 i have ever worked on.

When fully assembled, the springs are not under tension and should not bend.
popcorn[1].gif
toolguy
You really don't care about the length of the compressed spring. . what you care about is the distance from the bottom mount bolt hole to the lower spring perch. . . If your are using the same springs, make it the same as it was on the other shock or the car will sit lower or higher, correspondingly. .
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 28 2012, 01:13 PM) *

Lower the bottom spring purch and it should solve your problem!!

agree.gif Mine are actually loose when the car is jacked up...
Andyrew
Aftermarket springs are loose, stock springs are not.

This is why spring rate changes only take 20 minutes...
kwlane
Ok, thanks for all the replies! Ends of the springs do sit correctly as far as I can tell. Looks like I need to try again and lengthen the distance between the spring supports. Want to get my car ready to get off the rottisserie this weekend and need to to get these installed correctly!
bandjoey
I"ll look at mine tomorrow but i think the clip for the spring perch is on the next to the bottom. Yours looks like it's on the top. Also, don't install them off the car. bolt the shocks to the car and use a floor jack to push it up slightly until the top nut can be installed.

Mike Bellis
My springs (200lb) do not look bent under compression. Maybe because they're stiffer. Just don't look right. Are they straight when off the shock? if you roll them do the wobble? Your spring rate will be goofy if they bend like that.
kwlane
Its the bottom perch that came with the Bilsteins that is the problem. It's "ramp" angle does not match that of the spring so the spring sits off on it. But the spring does fit in an original Boge shock. So since I have four ot those sitting around am looking at adapting one to slip over the Bilstein bottom support. I'll post photos of the solution if it works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.