Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AGAIN with the not running.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Okay, here's the full story:

73 1.7, carbed.

Square old fuel pump died. . .replaced with a round Napa one

Then started acting like vapor lock, fuel pump was REALLY hot
Finally wouldn't run at all. . replaced with identical fuel pump (warranty)

Ran great in hot and cool weather until today headbang.gif

Drove 11 miles home from work (ran fine), stopped at the mail box. . exhaust smelled a teeny bit rich. Got mail. Started car. . drove 200 feet and it died and wouldn't start, acting like vapor lock. 1/2 tank of gas more a bit more. . pushed it the rest of the way home and am frustrated.

So, what fuel pump SHOULD I be using??? Maybe I have procured the wrong one? idea.gif

Have I left any needed info out? confused24.gif

Thanks
Sean
wndsrfr
I'm going to bet on the screen in the fuel tank being clogged. The job's really not too bad, just do it outside & don't smoke....
mrholland2
And how does this get fixed?

Are there instructions somewhere for the Handy-impaired?

Sean

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 28 2012, 04:39 PM) *

I'm going to bet on the screen in the fuel tank being clogged. The job's really not too bad, just do it outside & don't smoke....

Jeffs9146
You need to drain the tank and pull it out. Then remove the feed line nipple and pull the screen out! Look inside the tank to see if there is a lot of sludge and clean it if nessary. Then reinstall the tank with a new screen!

$14.95 at Tangerine Racing
76-914
You might be able to do it from below after removing the gravel guard covering the inner tie rods but it would be easier if you pull the tank. It takes me < 20 min's to pull my tanks, now. On the bottom of the tank you will see the nut to loosen. The screen aka sock will be under it. BTW, the screen can be viewed when looking inside the tank. Take a look to see if it is covered w/ crud.
Bob L.
I think I might check the fuel filter(s) first. confused24.gif
bandjoey
Just did this. If it's fuel, then take off the filter and pump at the back of the car and drain out the fuel. It should flow with gravity out in a fast stream...a trickle then it's a bad tank filter in most cases. Put a paint filter or cloth over the neck of the catch container to see if there's any trash coming out of the tank.

Test the pump before you install it. New filter, new rubber, and new pump. Test the new pump before installing the line to the carb, and if possible, check the pressure.

Mine went out on a Sunday and it's a DD, so I got the Mr Gasket $50 pump from autozone. They have several and this one is rated 1 - 4 lbs of pressure. 2 weeks now and runs fine.

Good Luck
mrholland2
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Sep 28 2012, 06:56 PM) *

Fuel Filter has less than 1000 miles?
mrholland2
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 28 2012, 07:22 PM) *

Just did this. If it's fuel, then take off the filter and pump at the back of the car and drain out the fuel. It should flow with gravity out in a fast stream...a trickle then it's a bad tank filter in most cases. Put a paint filter or cloth over the neck of the catch container to see if there's any trash coming out of the tank.

Test the pump before you install it. New filter, new rubber, and new pump. Test the new pump before installing the line to the carb, and if possible, check the pressure.

Mine went out on a Sunday and it's a DD, so I got the Mr Gasket $50 pump from autozone. They have several and this one is rated 1 - 4 lbs of pressure. 2 weeks now and runs fine.

Good Luck

I'm wondering if the crud sucks up and releases?
bulitt
Like they said, filter or screen. Sometimes it will allow for a small flow, so idle and partial throttle will seem fine then hesitation and dying under more throttle.
Nine_14
Disconnect the Fuel line from the tank Use a separate fuel line and a canister to check out if the tank is clogged.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Sep 28 2012, 11:10 PM) *

So? The question is not its age, it's how dirty it is. If you have crap in the tank, like rust, your filter can clog up in a day ...

Check the filter. Wash it out and see if there's any crap in it. Take a flashlight to the tank and see if there's crap on the bottom.

popcorn[1].gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 29 2012, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Sep 28 2012, 11:10 PM) *

So? The question is not its age, it's how dirty it is. If you have crap in the tank, like rust, your filter can clog up in a day ...

Check the filter. Wash it out and see if there's any crap in it. Take a flashlight to the tank and see if there's crap on the bottom.

popcorn[1].gif

I'm replacing the fuel filter (temporarily) with one of the clear jobbies so I can see in it. When I looked in the bottom of the tank thru the filler neck, I saw part of a big dark flat round thingie and shiny tank bottom with four dark random dots smaller than a pencil eraser.

Sean
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.