Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal cancellation is not working on left or right turns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jersey914

My turn signals do not turn off automatically after making left or right turns and I want to make the necessary repairs. Can someone refer me to a tutorial thread or explain what I need to do to fix this issue. I an guessing I have broken parts inside the steering column so if that is indeed your suspicion, I could use a referral to a parts source as well.
ellisor3
There is a cancelling ring inside there that can shear off or wear down over time. It is easier to simply replace the whole assembly while you are in there. I would check the VW sites to find the turn signal replacement. It is much cheaper to buy it as a VW part than a Porsche Part eventhough they are the same. There are several threads about this replacement. Seems like I saw one just a few weeks ago.

Found the part numbers on Jeff's site:
VW Part # 914 Year VW Model/Year
Turn signal switch 311.953.513B 1970-71 VW 1968-70 Beetle
Turn signal switch 111.953.513C 1971 VW 1971 Beetle
Turn signal switch 914.613.913.14 1972-74 VW 1972-79 Beetle
Turn signal switch 914.613.913.15 1975-76 VW 1975-76
mrholland2
Mine was doing this.

Took off the steering wheel and cleaned some of the crud out with an air hose

Works now, although slowly so I'm going to use some other junk in there to clean out more crud.
charliew
You might also check the upper bearing bushing too make sure it's good. Mine was so loose the horn would hink when you hit a bump.
eg914
Have you checked the condition of the tab on the horn/signal cancel ring on the back of the steering wheel? If this is worn or broken the signal won't cancel. If this is the problem you can get a replacement t a VW shop. Make sure you get the correct connector size on the wire,there are narrow and wide.
jersey914
QUOTE(eg914 @ Sep 29 2012, 11:29 AM) *

Have you checked the condition of the tab on the horn/signal cancel ring on the back of the steering wheel? If this is worn or broken the signal won't cancel. If this is the problem you can get a replacement t a VW shop. Make sure you get the correct connector size on the wire,there are narrow and wide.

I have not done anything yet, I was waiting to get some recommendations.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.