Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with body lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Hi guys,
Now that I've got some time to work on the car again and waiting for news about the heads, I'm going to try to tackle some of the bodywork. Below are some photos of the rear end, which definitely has seen contact at some point. I need to figure out what is bent and how everything is supposed to line up.

Click to view attachment

First off, is there supposed to be a "valley" here? Or should it be flat, parallel to the ground?

Click to view attachment

This picture shows the rear panel itself. Is this supposed to have a slight curvature across it? And for the lower section, should that be completely flat? Or should the bottom edge of it be closer in to the body than the top?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Finally, I'm not sure about the tail lights. The right side has obviously been hit, but I can't tell whats wrong with it. Should it be flush, like the left side? Or should both the tail lights protrude a little when viewed from the top?

Thanks for the help! Sorry I had to post this, I haven't been able to find a good example nearby to look at or any pictures that showed what I was curious about.
mittelmotor
Hey Painted Man,

I'm inspired by your restoration!

Here's a few shots of my '74 from similar angles that should help. Good luck!

--Doug
URY914
As a general rule; everything is curved.
ThePaintedMan
Hi Doug, thanks for the kind words! I like to think of my car as more of a rolling-resto, and something for me to learn on. Your car is beautiful btw, and those pictures are exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. I'm George, by the way.

After looking at them, it seems that this car is more bent than I even thought it was. Going to need to do some more hammering for sure.

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 29 2012, 05:36 PM) *

As a general rule; everything is curved.

Unless you cut it all off, right Paul? smile.gif
mittelmotor
Glad to be of help, George! Thanks for the kind words about my car.
ChrisFoley
Doug's pictures show a perfect example.
The vertical surfaces should be vertical and the horizontal surfaces should be smooth and horizontal. There is no tapering or change, except at the obvious bend lines.
The panel should have the same curvature across the car with no flat spots.
The tail lights should be slightly visible from above, with the trunk lid closed.

Lots of 914s have been hit in the back, but they look smooth because of extensive bodywork with filler.
I've seen up to 1/2" of filler on the rear panel of a car that looks fine from the outside.

BTW, the correct license plate lights are meant to mount in the bumper cap, not on the body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.