Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: towing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underdog
Guys, Is it safe to tow a teener with a two wheel dolly? If so do the front wheels go on the dolly or do you tow backward? 'preciate the help.
Randal
QUOTE(underdog @ Sep 29 2012, 01:30 PM) *

Guys, Is it safe to tow a teener with a two wheel dolly? If so do the front wheels go on the dolly or do you tow backward? 'preciate the help.

Like to see a picture of the dolly. biggrin.gif

I flat towed a Ford sedan from Virginia to California using a rented one, from U-Haul and it worked great.

Towing front facing foward works fine, but some would not want to put the extra miles on the transmission/rear moving components. Others can jump in here, but if you towed it facing backwards,you'd have to center the steering wheel and figure out someway to keep it in place, otherwise the teener might be in the wrong lane. mad.gif

Which ever way, make sure the bearings are good and properly adjusted. Don't want anything falling off.
TheCabinetmaker
I've done it. tow it backwards, but secure the rear trunk lid and make sure the top is latched and windows up. A rope attached to the steering wheel and held tight with the doors will keep it going straight.
Dave_Darling
I know people who have flat-towed (all 4 on the ground) or put the front up on a dolly for long distances. No issues that I know of.

I have heard of one person towing a 914 backwards who wound up blowing out the windshield. Make sure it's glued in well and keep the windows up. I know one person who had the roof come off towing backwards. Only broke the roof.

I'd consider towing it forwards, but I haven't towed a 914 myself.

--DD
larryM
forward - else you have to secure the front wheels from turning

if you don't you are in for some excitement, especially on braking downhill

if a 914 transaxle will run 200,00 miles on the road, it will tow 2000 miles on a dolly

yes, i've done it

quadracerx
So when you flat tow...all four on the ground, do you lock the steering wheel? Do anything with the CV joints/axles?

Just curious...

Steve
jcd914

So when you flat tow...all four on the ground, do you lock the steering wheel?

No, the steering wheel needs to turn with the car in corners (as if someone was driving it).

Do anything with the CV joints/axles?

No

If your CVs, axles, Trans, wheel bearings, etc... are in good shape then it is just like you were coasting down the road.

Jim
Dave_Darling
Remember to take it out of gear before you set off....

--DD
914itis
Just flat towed one from NY to GA (1000 miles) no issues
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 29 2012, 10:36 PM) *

So when you flat tow...all four on the ground, do you lock the steering wheel?

No, the steering wheel needs to turn with the car in corners (as if someone was driving it).

Do anything with the CV joints/axles?

No

If your CVs, axles, Trans, wheel bearings, etc... are in good shape then it is just like you were coasting down the road.

Jim

agree.gif
john rogers
The original owner of the 914-6 that I raced flat towed it for over 24 years to various race tracks in the CA, OR and AZ areas. I did the same for the 1st year I owned it. Several things to note:

- Unhook the batt and turn on the key so the front wheels can turn.

- Use road wheels and very cheap tires, not the race wheels and tires.

- Get a very solid "A" tow bar and remove the front bumper and have a very strong hitch.

- A air wrench, hose and bottle make switching wheels very easy. Use a torque wrench.

- Do not try to back up.

- Hook in a wire splice for brake and turn signals or use magnetic ones on the car trunk.

- Have a very strong chain in case of a break away.

- Make sure it is out of gear and e-brake is off.

- Use one of the side mirrors to watch the towed car in case of smoke or weaving, etc.

- Check local laws on towing as some places require a permit.
hot_shoe914
Just put the damned thing in neutral, run the front wheels up on the tow dolly, strap it down and haul ass. I have towed this way from Memphis, to Los Angeles and back, to Hershery Pennsylvania and back and to Richmond, Va and back more than one with no problems.. Even towed one backwards with rear wheels on dolly to Richmond, Va with absolutely NO problems. However, I recommend you tow front wheels up.

Shoe

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Drums66
QUOTE(john rogers @ Sep 29 2012, 09:31 PM) *

The original owner of the 914-6 that I raced flat towed it for over 24 years to various race tracks in the CA, OR and AZ areas. I did the same for the 1st year I owned it. Several things to note:

- Unhook the batt and turn on the key so the front wheels can turn.

- Use road wheels and very cheap tires, not the race wheels and tires.

- Get a very solid "A" tow bar and remove the front bumper and have a very strong hitch.

- A air wrench, hose and bottle make switching wheels very easy. Use a torque wrench.

- Do not try to back up.

- Hook in a wire splice for brake and turn signals or use magnetic ones on the car trunk.

- Have a very strong chain in case of a break away.

- Make sure it is out of gear and e-brake is off.

- Use one of the side mirrors to watch the towed car in case of smoke or weaving, etc.

- Check local laws on towing as some places require a permit.

thumb3d.gif
DBCooper
I've flat towed (Texas to California and back) several times, and also towed with a dolly. I'd pick flat towing every time. Those dolly's are WIDE! And not that stable. And some of them (U-Haul) are nasty to load a lowered car or a car with a chin spoiler. Flat towing tucks the car behind you like it's not even there. I'd do 90 miles an hour across the Big Empty without an issue, have to look back to confirm the car was still there. I'd never even consider that with a dolly. Flat towing's cheaper, easier and faster, can't beat it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.