Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For the record
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Many of you have dissed me for cutting up and converting my car, for the record, I like the stock look of the 914 and will have another one someday. I have wanted a Chalon since the first time I saw one back in the 80's. The car that I currently have that is converted to a Chalon was one of the biggest POS I have seen, there wasnt a spot on the car that wasnt dented or filled with bondo, the engine was a very tired 1.8 liter and the car was basically thrashed. There was no guilt cutting off the 40 pounds of bondo and replacing it with fiberglass flared panels. The V8 was just a choice of mass power to make the car as fast as it looked. I hope I can change your opinion of the Chalon with a V8 in it at some event someday. I was looking for reliability, power and uniqueness. I think I found it in the car I am building.
rhodyguy
it's your car. do what you want scott and tell them to finger.gif . 4/30/2005.

kevin
Dad Roberts
I know exactly where you're comin from, Scott.... biggrin.gif Hard to get around the effortless cruisin and instant power of the V8. Dad driving.gif
Root_Werks
agree.gif I think your car looks great! You are keeping it on the road and making into something to be proud of. Rock on and don't listen to people who "diss" you. They are either jelous or don't understand that you have something that you enjoy. That is what matters.

I can't wait to hear about your first driving impressions! happy11.gif driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
We think your car is great, Scott. Everyone who knows the huge effort and love you have slavished on that creation can appreciate it.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
gregrobbins
Go for it Scott.

There is a place for stock 914s and always will be. But many, no MANY, have been modified over the years. Read the auto magazines reviews. While the car was liked by most reviewers, there were always complaints about lack of power, funky shifting, the brakes, and more.

Those who hit on you for the modifications are easy to pick out. They are still wearing leasure suits, white shoes and belts, have long hair (if they have any left) and trying to find Discos.

Times change, technology improves. Take advantage of the benefits.

My wife likes the Beach Boys Racing Monterey look, so that is the plan for the '73. I like the stock look, so the '74 will retain that. But both cars will benefit from improved technology and increased safty.
Sean_S
It's not a 914 anyway. It's a car you built using parts from a bunch of cars...including some 914 parts.

Model T dragsters
Umpteen million "classic" American cars with blowers
Classic VW bug/bus parts in *sandrails*
*helocopters* with 914 engines

It's the American Way! (ok, it's universal)

Even the OEM scavenges older parts from their own cars to create newer, "better" models...Sometimes even parts from other OEM's cars.

Volkswagon parts in a Porsche?
911's and 914's share parts?
Peugeot parts in a Lotus?
Rover parts in a Lotus?
IHC parts in a Ford? (powerstroke)
Dodge cannot build it's own diesel engine?? (Cummins)
GMC cannot build it's own tranny? (Allison)

American fighter planes with Mercedes engines?

Hummers with.... .... ....

Ok, I'll stop.

I think the term is "automotive pioneer".

Cheers!
Sean
ws91420
If I was in the same situation I would choose the 9014 kit if it came from anywhere else than that place in GA. I've always liked the 904 since I saw one upclose at G&W motorsports. You Chalon looks great and I think the best reward is fixing it the way you want and the h e double hockey sticks with anyone who disagree' s with your choices welder.gif
boxstr
Scott, we love your car and your a great guy to boot. Now get back out there and work on your car, so you can spend some time driving it. smile.gif
CCLINPDHEREICOME
Rusty
I dunno who called you out on your car... but the work seems to be high quality, and you're happy with the results.

There are all types of 914 folks out there, and a wide range of opinions. Heck, there are people who don't believe that a stock 2.0/6 is something a person could be happy with. confused24.gif

Screw em. It's your car - do what ya like.

-Rusty smoke.gif
JB 914
I had a coach in HS that used to say:

No matter what you do 40% of the people will like you, 40% will not like you and the other 20% just wont give a shit.

It's your car, your time and your $$$
Hi_Fi_Guy
There is nothing wrong with a Chalon kit. It is easy to forget just how impressive they looked when new during the '80s. The Chalon look is so closely tied to the 914 that I wouldn't be surprised if in another 10-20 years it isn't recognized as a subset of 914 rarities by collectors. There will always be people who like 100% original cars and people who like radical custom cars and everything in between so why exclude anyone. It is a 914 that is not rusting away somewhere. Kudos to you!
Sean_S
agree.gif

Funny thing but the Chalon is the mod' that I fell in love with back when I was 18 and I still like it. To me it is almost a "model" of 914 as stated above. It sits firmly as a classic in an era of whale tails and erotic cars.

Sean
Howard
Scott, reality check.

This ain't reality, this is a hobby. Reality is a 4cyl Camry.
If you're building a car to please the masses, build a Camry.

Put on a wheelie bar, paint it pink, get a 6-71 blower and Hilborns if you like. Have fun, and F 'em if they can't take a joke. beerchug.gif
Steve Thacker
Scott,
As also owning a modified car, I know what you are going through. I have been spanked by a few. However,...the felllas on "this site" have all been very supportive. I'm just glad that my car was spared the pie tin factory.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Howard @ Oct 29 2004, 08:41 AM)
Scott, reality check.

This ain't reality, this is a hobby. Reality is a 4cyl Camry.
If you're building a car to please the masses, build a Camry.

Put on a wheelie bar, paint it pink, get a 6-71 blower and Hilborns if you like. Have fun, and F 'em if they can't take a joke. beerchug.gif

perfectly put.

go for it scott. i think its cool smilie_pokal.gif
jim912928
Screw them! I think your car is cool. And the fun of any of this is having something we put our blood sweat and tears in ..... then enjoy to no end!
bob91403
Finish it. Drive it. Enjoy it. Feel blessed. Most people will never experience the joy of driving a teener. WE ARE THE LUCKY FEW! And the rest will never know. How sad for them. sad.gif
bondo
Don't let the bastards grind you down! Many of us dog on the slantnose conversions because we prefer the look of the stock 914. I personally wouldn't go slantnose on my own car, but I still think your car rocks. I appreciate both looks. I definitely identify with your quest for uniqueness... I made a failed attempt at building an electric trike out of motorcycle parts.. something totally custom. I gave up because I have too many projects and would probably never have the funding to finish it. Someday I'll probably make another attempt at something completely one of a kind.

I can't wait to see your car when it's done! What color did you end up choosing?
aircooledboy
Honestly dood, it is easy to say "F'em if they don't like it", but harder to do. I have already felt more than a few jabs over my 8 because it doesn't have a porsche engine in it, and mine is a stock body. I've got a very thick skin, so it doesn't bother me much, but I am still surprised and a little disappointed when it happens. finger.gif

Here is how I look at it: I love my bone stock 1.7. It is still a joy to drive on a nice day. But after I have driven the V8, it is tough to want to drive the 1.7 much anymore. It is like an F-16 vs. a biplane. I truly believe that those who mock the SBC conversions have never driven a good one. The crap about it not having a prosche engine? If the change is not stock, and it is not anything that was ever available stock, then what the hell difference does it make what the change is. Either it is better or worse: end of analysis.

BTW, when I bought that 1st 914 rust bucket 22 years ago, the minute I saw a picture of a Chalon, I wanted one. Still do, and expect to have one some day. Probably not until after I find the wife that damn Kharmann rag top she's been bugging me about for the last 21 years laugh.gif
Robert21
finger.gif done right the chalon kit looks good . seen alot that look funny
having met you i know you will be doing it right. guy next door is doing
a V 8 914 everyone should do what they want. look forward to see finished
car
Jeroen
dude, you don't have to defend your actions to anyone but yourself!
now get back to your garage biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Scott, asside from the fact that I built my car, and mine is running, I would rather have your car than mine...

I cant go back to a 4 cylander... Period.

Unless its the 944 turbo next to mine....

The chalon, I think it updates the 914 to an 80's to 90's car, If I wanted a kit, I would have gone with that. But I like my car the way it is.. Primer and all

You should to!

I have a guy at school who calls my 914 a lawn mower.... (good friend)
Even though he knows what it can do...

Andrew
rick 918-S
I must have missed something! Dood! consider the source... At least yours runs! laugh.gif Chalons are retro 80's coool! aktion035.gif I can't wait to see it at the WCC 05! aktion035.gif driving.gif
Red-Beard
What happened to your yellow 4 cyl?
skline
Sold it last spring, wanted to get motivated on the Chalon. I regret it as that car was fun to drive, handled great and always ran. Of course I pulled the engine out about every few weeks for something.
swood
Hey Scott, Who cares what Alfred thinks! laugh.gif laugh.gif

You're the man for doing it your way. Gonna be a sweet ride for you. Much to be proud of.

Stevo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.