Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to me project- carb'd car, looking for the fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Quick question guys,

1. in looking for the fuel pump on my new project ( a 73 2.0, with dell's) I cant find the fuel pump! I'm assuming it must have been re-located to under the tank, maybe adjacent to the MC? , any other places it could be hiding?

After cleaning out the old gas, putting in fresh fuel, changing the plugs and wires, I thought I would give it a try...it spins freely, but no gas...and when I click over the ignition I cant hear the pump so it's either dead, or maybe a bad relay....

-Adam
billh1963
QUOTE(7391420 @ Oct 1 2012, 10:30 AM) *

Quick question guys,

1. in looking for the fuel pump on my new project ( a 73 2.0, with dell's) I cant find the fuel pump! I'm assuming it must have been re-located to under the tank, maybe adjacent to the MC? , any other places it could be hiding?

After cleaning out the old gas, putting in fresh fuel, changing the plugs and wires, I thought I would give it a try...it spins freely, but no gas...and when I click over the ignition I cant hear the pump so it's either dead, or maybe a bad relay....

-Adam

If it's not on the firewall or in the stock location (passenger side rail) try looking under the tank.
Bill,

Thanks- the stock location was passenger side, adjacent to the battery, is that right?
billh1963
QUOTE(7391420 @ Oct 1 2012, 10:55 AM) *

Bill,

Thanks- the stock location was passenger side, adjacent to the battery, is that right?

Underneath on the "frame rail" (for lack of a better word).

You should be able to follow where the gas lines exit the firewall tunnel and see where it goes....
anderssj
assuming the pump is still wired through the stock wiring/relays, also check the fuse near the center of the relay plate in the engine compartment. a quick way to tell is if the heater blower fan doesn't work--no fan, no pump.

it's marked as 91 on the picture:

Click to view attachment

i've had this happen even when the fuse looked good--all it takes is a little corrosion on either end of the fuse, and you've got no pump/no gas.

hope this helps!
Good call,

The fuse looks suspect....

On the pump- sorry if this should be obvious, but was the origional location within the engine bay, down low by the fire wall, or underneath, by the side of the rear passenger tire?
SirAndy
QUOTE(7391420 @ Oct 1 2012, 01:24 PM) *
On the pump- sorry if this should be obvious, but was the origional location within the engine bay, down low by the fire wall, or underneath, by the side of the rear passenger tire?

Not in the engine bay but underneath, close to the firewall, not the tire. Tucked away in the corner.

You need to jack up the rear to see it or get to it ...
popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
Close to where the heater hose enters the body.

--DD
rhodyguy
weak link skills. go to the classic thread forum and find andy's write up on the jumper wire ground trick from the relay board. you will be able to use the proper circuitry to power your pump.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.