Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exciting couple of days at the Nurburgring, Woo Hoo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Got up early and went and checked the RSA, ice on the roof. I was kind of expecting that, it was a clear night, finally. Cleaned her up and left the hotel around 0800 to warm her up on the way to the Nurburgring to meet with Elisabeth and Robert.

We met up and got Elisabeth fitted into the passenger seat with the 5 point harness. Then it was onto the track. Elisabeth had never been in a Porsche or on the Nurburgring. I took it easy, the tires were still cold and the track was cold. I talked about the track on the lap, apex’s, sweepers, chicanes, etc. After the lap, Elisabeth got out and I went back on the track, they were going to try to get some film of me going around the track from another spot on the track, cool.

I came up over a blind hill on the 2nd lap and there was a bad accident, braking hard I missed most of the debris, but did drive over some of it. When I got to the finish line the track was closed and the marshals were directing everyone off into the overflow parking area.

We all met up in the parking lot and just waited for the track to reopen. While we were waiting the RSA drew a lot of attention and Elisabeth filmed it all. The track finally reopened and I ran a couple more laps with Elisabeth filming me going and coming off the track. My last lap was just soooo good, I was still jazzed when I came off the track.

Then we drove up to the big Nurburgring sign, took some pictures and headed for Eltz Castle.

We got to Eltz Castle and they lifted the barrier and I drove the RSA down to the castle, woo hoo.

Eltz Castle is 850 years old and has been the home of the Lords & Counts of Eltz for more than 30 generations. There is a guided tour through the castle living quarters and the Treasury Museum which you really don’t want to miss. There are some beautiful examples of Medieval Goldsmith’s work, flintlock muskets and pistols, porcelain dinnerware, armor, and swords.

And through all this I’m on camera trying to act natural. Sure glad I didn’t have any written lines, I would have blown it for sure. As it was, most of it was ad-libbed and I had to do each of them a few times. But it was kind of fun doing it all.

When we finished at Eltz Castle we drove to the village of Monreal. What a pretty and picturesque village and it even had a castle on the hill overlooking the village. We did a walk around through the village, crossed a few bridges over the small river that runs through the center of the villages. Then it was time for dinner.

We found a small restaurant, I won’t try to spell what we had, but it was pretty good and then desert. We finished up around 1830 and it was starting to get cold. Time to go.

Made the drive back to Adenau and found some really nice twisty roads, what a way to end the day.

It was a fun day with Elisabeth and Robert and me trying to act, right. Don’t think any Oscars are in my future. If I remember right Elisabeth said this episode of “Discovery Germany” will be broadcast on 16 Oct. So if you want a good laugh, tune in. I have no idea what channel it will be on.

Just a really fun day.

10/1/12

Started off the day with laundry in Bonn, nice drive again. Ice on the car again this morning.

The Track opened at 1200-1900 today. I got there around 1300, drove on and did 2 laps. On the 2nd lap, 4 accidents, 2 motorcycle, 2 car, track closed for a bit over a hour. Track opened and I went out and did 9 laps. On the 6th or 7th lap I lost it and did a 360 degree spin out, when I finally stopped I was about 2 feet from the barrier, but I was still on the track. Pucker factor had sky rocketed. Think I hit that corner a little too hot. After I stopped I just put her in gear and did a few more laps, ya know, get back on the horse thing.

By then I was below a ¼ tank of gas so I pulled off the track to fill her back up. I did notice that she didn’t turn in quite so precise with the low gas level, light up front?
When I got back to the track after filling up, it was closed again for another accident. It opened up again and I went out and did 4 laps. On my 2nd lap a friend I had made a few months ago was standing at the gate and asked if he could go for a ride, I said sure, so he jumped in and we were off.

On my last lap, there was a Blue Renault with GB plates that wanted to pass, so I pulled over on one of the straights so he could, he couldn’t pass, couldn’t keep up. So I got back on line for the next corner and the IDIOT tried to pass me in the middle of the corner. We actually touched mirrors. I was pissed and went after him, with Steve trying to calm me down and it worked, I calmed down, but I was going to look for him in the parking lot. Further on during that lap there was a Bad motorcycle accident so when we got to the finish the track was closed again and everyone was directed off the track.

I parked the RSA and was standing by it when this IDIOT came walking up and said, “That your car?” I said yes not knowing who he was, he says I tried to pass you but I couldn’t go fast enough to pass you, you sped up. Then I knew who he was. I said I pulled over for you, you didn’t pass so I got back on line. He says I was going too fast for him to pass, the only place he can pass is in the corners. I told him to get a faster car, passing in the corners is stupid.

That’s when he called me a F**king C**t, I told him to Bite Me, he says, you’re older than my grandfather, my answer, So What. So he calls me a name again, had to get the last word in, ya know. I just walked away laughing.

So I’ve got all my tickets at the Nurburgring punched today, over 130 laps, spun out on the track without wrecking the car, and a altercation in the parking lot. So I called it a day.

Heading for Luxembourg, then England, then Ireland tomorrow.

Still Laughing, Don
SirAndy
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Oct 1 2012, 11:58 AM) *
I told him to get a faster car, passing in the corners is stupid.

Perfect! lol-2.gif
Vysoc
Sounds like a real Euro Jack Ball, guess there are Butt Heads everywhere!

What kind of a Blue Renault is going to take the RSA in a corner on the Nurburgring?

Great self restraint. flag.gif

Drive carefully.

Vysoc. flag.gif
rick 918-S
Renault... jerkit.gif Ya right. yappin.gif Cool story Don!
Gint
LOL Thanks for the write-up Don.
6freak
[quoteWhat kind of a Blue Renault is going to take the RSA in a corner on the Nurburgring?

a very fast one! smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
Too bad the film crew didn't catch that little bit of Reality TV.
The ring doesn't seem like a place for Inspector Clouseau !
Have fun in Dooblin !
Marty
DonTraver
This is the guy that was upset because he couldn't pass me.

rhodyguy
i thought he might have been in an Alpina or something. the whole c**t thing with the brits is as nothing as saying "yes please". if it should happen again just reply with "piss off tosser".

Eric_Shea
Burg Eltz?

Most amazing castle in all of Europe. Had a great afternoon there followed by a few glasses of the regions finest while overlooking the Mosel.

Post some pics of Burg Eltz.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 3 2012, 02:41 PM) *
Most amazing castle in all of Europe.

Until you get to the next one ... biggrin.gif

That area (Rhein, Lahn, Mosel) is littered with castles. I grew up there.
chowtime.gif
Eric_Shea
agree.gif we literally got tired of saying "there's another one"! All up and down the Rhein...

But, Burg Eltz was remarkable over the others. Rick Steves agrees as well. Rumored to be his favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnaTBf2Izaw
DonTraver
I've been to a lot of castles, over 200 now, still only a drop in the bucket. One fun drive was driving between Koln and Manhiem up one side of the Rhine and down the other castle hunting. Markburg, Lahneck (Templar Castle) , Sooneck, Drachenburg, and Rheinfels
to name a few.

Don't forget Hohenzollern Castle, Neuschwanstein Castle and Nuremburg Castle in Germany all spectacular.

Later, Don
veltror
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2012, 07:47 PM) *

... if it should happen again just reply with "piss off tosser".

Piss off, you tosser...

Would be more correct not that the Chav would notice...

Looks like a Chavmobile to me anyway....
Eric_Shea
One fun drive was driving between Koln and Manhiem up one side of the Rhine and down the other castle hunting. Markburg, Lahneck (Templar Castle) , Sooneck, Drachenburg, and Rheinfels

I did the exact same drive!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.