Gary
Elliot Cannon
Did they use black with yellow lettering in the seventies? confused24.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 1 2012, 04:09 PM) *

Did they use black with yellow lettering in the seventies? confused24.gif

For you that would be the 1870s.
toolguy
last year of black with yellow numbers was 63 thru 69. . 1970 was first year of blue with yellow. . .

There are ways already to get a Vintage blue plate for your car. . It's called the YOM program. . you get a pair of unassigned blue plates, take them to DMV and they are suppose to reassign them to any car which had them as original plates. . you'll probablyget a bunch of static but look up Calif DMV YOM program.

SLITS
When I did it ... I had to have the last registration and pink slip showing the plate number and both plates. Signed a buncha forms, paid money and waited 7 months for the DMV section to approve the use of them. Couldn't drive the car in that time period with the original plates.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 1 2012, 03:38 PM) *

last year of black with yellow numbers was 63 thru 69. . 1970 was first year of blue with yellow. . .

There are ways already to get a Vintage blue plate for your car. . It's called the YOM program. . you get a pair of unassigned blue plates, take them to DMV and they are suppose to reassign them to any car which had them as original plates. . you'll probablyget a bunch of static but look up Calif DMV YOM program.

More hassle and dumb looks than I could stand but I do have a pair of blue plates that were original to my 240Z if anyone is interested... I really wondered sometimes if DMV were some kind of halfway house for stupid people. blink.gif
Brian_Boss
Wow. TX has a YOM program and you just take the plates into you local tax assessor office (like DMV), let them inspect the plates to be sure they are readable, pay a nominal fee and walk out the door ready to run your vintage plates.

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 1 2012, 06:43 PM) *

When I did it ... I had to have the last registration and pink slip showing the plate number and both plates. Signed a buncha forms, paid money and waited 7 months for the DMV section to approve the use of them. Couldn't drive the car in that time period with the original plates.

bobheinonen
QUOTE(gary gartner @ Oct 1 2012, 02:34 PM) *

check th link below.
I don't need them, but I am sure some of you do beerchug.gif

Ca may make period plates

yellow with black,
black with yellow
and
blue with yellow
all the details are in the link

http://tinyurl.com/8pnxjqw

Gary

This is a done deal as of today. Check out www.semaactionnetwork.com.
pete000
Fantastic, where do we apply?
DanT
Black with yellow lettering was up until 1970.... Then blue with yellow lettering in the 70s and around 1977 or so,they went to the white plates...there have been several iterations of the white plates.
toolguy
California white plates started in 1982, when the white reflector plate was an option. These had a colored sunset at the top. . .white became standard issue in 87 with a simple embossed "California" at the top
euro911
My '66 912 has black plates smile.gif ... the '67 911 has white plates dry.gif

Wife's 914 has blue (cool), the 'BB has white (no biggy)

My '64 got blue ones when I registered it in 1977 ... would really like to have black ones idea.gif

Thanks for the post beer.gif
euro911
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 1 2012, 05:01 PM) *
... I really wondered sometimes if DMV were some kind of halfway house for stupid people. blink.gif
Rob, didn't you know? ... DMV employees are the people that the Post Office let go shades.gif
McMark
That's cool! Looks like the law doesn't go into effect until 1/1/2013, so I wouldn't expect applications to be available before then. wink.gif But I'll definitely be getting mine.
computers4kids
Governor Jerry Brown signed into law legislation (A.B. 1658) to establish the California Legacy License Plate Program. Under the new law, the DMV will create and issue a series of specialized license plates that replicate plates from the state's past.  Previously, classic car owners could only revive well-maintained old plates that match the vintage of their vehicle.  Among other things, the new law will bring a retro look to modern license plates by allowing consumers to choose from one of three classic designs from the 1950s-1960s (black lettering on yellow background or yellow lettering on black background) and 1970s-1980s (yellow lettering on blue background).   The law requires that at least 7,500 applications for any one particular plate must be received by the DMV on or before January 1, 2015.

Question-will my 914 still be around in 2015?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 2 2012, 11:27 AM) *

Governor Jerry Brown signed into law legislation (A.B. 1658) to establish the California Legacy License Plate Program. Under the new law, the DMV will create and issue a series of specialized license plates that replicate plates from the state's past.  Previously, classic car owners could only revive well-maintained old plates that match the vintage of their vehicle.  Among other things, the new law will bring a retro look to modern license plates by allowing consumers to choose from one of three classic designs from the 1950s-1960s (black lettering on yellow background or yellow lettering on black background) and 1970s-1980s (yellow lettering on blue background).   The law requires that at least 7,500 applications for any one particular plate must be received by the DMV on or before January 1, 2015.

Question-will I be around in 2015? laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 2 2012, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 2 2012, 11:27 AM) *

Question-will I be around in 2015? laugh.gif

I don't know about "around" but I do know you will be "round".
euro911
... or 'rounder' poke.gif
kconway
So these new plates aren't exactly like they were back in the day. California is painted not stamped but I suppose it's close enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.