Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big 4 at VIR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsrfr
Finally got the GoPro video to upload to YouTube & the sound comes across OK. Two laps at VIR last November in my first solo in Blue group...Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tEALVfzHM
driving.gif
aircooledtechguy
Nice!! You made quick work of that 911. . . I'll bet that's humbling happy11.gif
Dave_Darling
I'm glad that black car (Mustang? Bimmer?) finally figured out to let you by.

Our chief DE instructor told my class of newbies: "If there's someone behind you at a DE, it's because they're faster than you. Point them by and you won't have to worry about them for many more laps."

--DD
Cupomeat
Nicely done!

The car sounds great!

Wow, looks like the drought hit VIR rather badly this year. I've never seen it so brown.

I'll be there in early Nov and hopefully it will have sprung back a bit.

Congrats
bulitt
Heck no, it's been raining all year! Had to trim my shrubs every month this summer. Looks like this video is from Nov 2011.
rjames
Engine sounds great! smilie_pokal.gif Thanks for sharing!
JmuRiz
Wow, that big-4 has some serious scoot!
ConeDodger
Nice John, Looks like mine. Retains all of its corner superiority and gains some serious scoot in the straights. I think that last guy thought he could outleg you but first found you annoying him in the curves and then 'holy shizit' I can't lose him in the straights!!! lol-2.gif

It sounds like that throttle position tuning works pretty darn well... I may record my settings and give it a try... evilgrin.gif
jimkelly
nice smile.gif

note to self - sell jack stands to fund BIG 4 biggrin.gif
Nürburg Nomad
Nice driving!

Though I'm curious when the slow, unsafe, and laughable "point-by" is going to be retired if ever?? blink.gif It seems to be an American creation... as elsewhere in the world a right turn signal is used to indicate a clean pass on the left, which enables one to continue shifting & turning as usual without dangling out the window like a goon! wacko.gif
VaccaRabite
480p?
Its 2012 man. Upload this stuff in Hi Def! smile.gif

Looks like fun.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ Oct 2 2012, 01:44 PM) *

Nice driving!

Though I'm curious when the slow, unsafe, and laughable "point-by" is going to be retired if ever?? blink.gif It seems to be an American creation... as elsewhere in the world a right turn signal is used to indicate a clean pass on the left, which enables one to continue shifting & turning as usual without dangling out the window like a goon! wacko.gif

I doubt it will ever be retired. One needs to consider the bigger picture. The site, the insurance company, all apply their restraints on the activity. Point-by assures that both parties are a part of the negotiation. That's why they demand it as part of the site use permit. As you get into the 'Open' groups, passing is allowed anywhere without a point by but many still do it. Besides having the heart of and handling of a racecar, my 914 is a pretty darned nice car. I don't want some asshat's inattention or ego to mess that up. driving.gif
Dave_Darling
In the group I was running with, passing was NOT permitted in the corners, only on the straights. So you would never point someone by while you were trying to turn the steering wheel.

The more advanced groups may have had passing without a point, I don't remember and it was completely irrelevant to me. I think I was the 3rd slowest car out of over 100 at the event. And I didn't care!!

--DD
patrick3000
That is a nice car that you have there, can you share the details. The driving was nice as well.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 2 2012, 11:38 AM) *

Nice John, Looks like mine. Retains all of its corner superiority and gains some serious scoot in the straights. I think that last guy thought he could outleg you but first found you annoying him in the curves and then 'holy shizit' I can't lose him in the straights!!! lol-2.gif

It sounds like that throttle position tuning works pretty darn well... I may record my settings and give it a try... evilgrin.gif

Yep, I'm sticking with the TPS sensing--I can email my map to you as a starting point--might have already sent one to Mark, but latest version may have a bit leaner settings. I'm still pretty fat, but it put down 165Hp at the wheels on the last dyno run, so not too shabby. Let me know....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Oct 3 2012, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 2 2012, 11:38 AM) *

Yep, I'm sticking with the TPS sensing--I can email my map to you as a starting point--might have already sent one to Mark, but latest version may have a bit leaner settings. I'm still pretty fat, but it put down 165Hp at the wheels on the last dyno run, so not too shabby. Let me know....

I may have to give it a try John. I was born in Virginia but I don't recall the elevation. I live at 5500' so there is that. And the fact that your engine is a 2316 and mine is a 2432 but other than that, they both seem to be dressed the same on the outside. Man would it be fun to both be on the same track! I love when people are so astounded that it is a 4 cylinder... blink.gif
I will send you a PM with my email...
Dave_Darling
And I love passing 993 GT3s with a stock four-cylinder 914.

(The GT3 was a brand-new car to the owner, and he was still trying to get used to it; this was his first ever lap in it except for the warm-up lap we had just completed. Halfway through the session, he passed me like I was standing still. Bit I did pass him! smile.gif )

--DD
wndsrfr
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Oct 2 2012, 04:06 PM) *

That is a nice car that you have there, can you share the details. The driving was nice as well.

Thought you'd never ask---here's a sip from the fire hose:

I bought the car from Drew Rickert who had done the majority of the "slippery slope" work. The PO had done the 916 bodywork with customized spoiler & quarter panel intakes.
Drew built the 2316 Raby kit with SDS and Tangerine headers/muffler
and did the 5lug conversion with 23mm torsion bars & Bilsteins.
I took it to VIR for my first DE & detonated the engine on the third day. Sourced a new case and over two years have rebuilt it twice (great fun, really) learning more each time. Installed JE forged pistons, had Len Hoffman deck the case, freshen the heads with double Crower valve springs and bore/hone out a set of
1.8 seasoned jugs to fit & set CR to 10.2:1. Dyno'ed at 165 RWHp & flat 150-160 torque curve, very satisfying.
Went through 3 iterations of oil cooler finally going to front mount. Was seeing above 265F after 30 minute DE's with cooler/fan above passenger side axle but never over 190F with front mount unit.
Moved up to 7's & 8's cup wheels with Dunlop Star Spec 225/50/16 all 4 corners,
200# rear coilovers from Rebel racing and with Porterfield R4-1's it sheds speed nicely. I'm still not really at threshold braking limit--gotta focus on that more.
Had good Dr. E build the stack with A/F/KA/S/Z to get closer ratios for tracking it & that really brought it to life! Z gearing really isn't too busy for highway cruising and makes 5th actually usable for acceleration on the track whereas with ZD it would just maintain.
Last winter installed roll bar with removable door bars that Chris fabbed to add some stiffness--helps a bit.
Have been through about 10 iterations of fuel mapping for SDS--it's a mixture of art/science and Zen--start rich and slowly, slowly catchee monkey! Barry & Ross at SDS are great coaches and always seem to be available to take the time to help.
Done six DE's so far this year including VIR, Summit Point, Roebling and Barber tracks & aiming to do at least one more.
I really encourage anyone with a teener to do a PCA DE event--even if the car is bone stock. Getting to run on the real tracks and learn the line to manage momentum is wonderful! Then you too can take a step over onto the slippery slope! driving.gif
FourBlades

What do you think caused the engine failures?

High oil temps?

That worries me because I also have a 2270 I want to DE.

I also have a cooler with fan above the rear axle.

Did you have a fan on your old cooler?

Thanks,

John
ConeDodger
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 4 2012, 07:14 AM) *

High oil temps?

Thanks,

John

My personal feeling? I don't think the Keith Black pistons that Jake use to use (maybe still does?) are up to ANY detonation. Run lean and it will explode. On my 2270 it took out everything but the crank. Mark has that crank by the way... He is authorized to sell it at a pretty fair price.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Oct 4 2012, 06:24 AM) *

QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Oct 2 2012, 04:06 PM) *

Thought you'd never ask---here's a sip from the fire hose:

I bought the car from Drew Rickert who had done the majority of the "slippery slope" work. The PO had done the 916 bodywork with customized spoiler & quarter panel intakes.
Drew built the 2316 Raby kit with SDS and Tangerine headers/muffler
and did the 5lug conversion with 23mm torsion bars & Bilsteins.
I took it to VIR for my first DE & detonated the engine on the third day. Sourced a new case and over two years have rebuilt it twice (great fun, really) learning more each time. Installed JE forged pistons, had Len Hoffman deck the case, freshen the heads with double Crower valve springs and bore/hone out a set of
1.8 seasoned jugs to fit & set CR to 10.2:1. Dyno'ed at 165 RWHp & flat 150-160 torque curve, very satisfying.
Went through 3 iterations of oil cooler finally going to front mount. Was seeing above 265F after 30 minute DE's with cooler/fan above passenger side axle but never over 190F with front mount unit.
Moved up to 7's & 8's cup wheels with Dunlop Star Spec 225/50/16 all 4 corners,
200# rear coilovers from Rebel racing and with Porterfield R4-1's it sheds speed nicely. I'm still not really at threshold braking limit--gotta focus on that more.
Had good Dr. E build the stack with A/F/KA/S/Z to get closer ratios for tracking it & that really brought it to life! Z gearing really isn't too busy for highway cruising and makes 5th actually usable for acceleration on the track whereas with ZD it would just maintain.
Last winter installed roll bar with removable door bars that Chris fabbed to add some stiffness--helps a bit.
Have been through about 10 iterations of fuel mapping for SDS--it's a mixture of art/science and Zen--start rich and slowly, slowly catchee monkey! Barry & Ross at SDS are great coaches and always seem to be available to take the time to help.
Done six DE's so far this year including VIR, Summit Point, Roebling and Barber tracks & aiming to do at least one more.
I really encourage anyone with a teener to do a PCA DE event--even if the car is bone stock. Getting to run on the real tracks and learn the line to manage momentum is wonderful! Then you too can take a step over onto the slippery slope! driving.gif

This is exactly what I have been doing. I am targeting 12:5:1 - 13:1 and slowly dialing it back from rich. What are you doing with your ACCPUMP settings?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 4 2012, 07:14 AM) *

-Only one failure, clearly from detonation & because the tune was done for the street and me as a complete noob hammered the hell out of it at VIR. I had only had the car for two weeks prior....steep learning curve. Likely wouldn't have happened with carbs properly jetted, but with SDS I just wasn't savvy enough at that point to catch the lean running.

High oil temps?
-Nope--that only shortens the life of the oil really. I use only the Brad Penn 20W50 specified by Jake.

-Go for it if you treat it responsibly.

-Yep, it had a fan, but it's trying to cool the oil with hot air from the engine & just wasn't able to handle summertime heat--the high temps I saw was at events in July & August with track temps well above 100F. Just keep an eye on it--if it's a problem, enjoy the installation of a front mount unit!

Thanks,

John

wndsrfr
This is exactly what I have been doing. I am targeting 12:5:1 - 13:1 and slowly dialing it back from rich. What are you doing with your ACCPUMP settings?
[/quote]

Did you get my excel spreadsheet? I'm at ACCPUMPLORPM=20 and ACCPUMPHIRPM=20 with ACCPUMPSENSE=7. It gives me quite a rich "tip in" with AFR's dipping to the 10's:1 for a second or two. Not claiming that it's best, but it seems ok....
ConeDodger
I did get the spreadsheet John. Thanks. It was a 240Z day though. I finished building new door panels out of fiberglass, vinyl, and a few of the original parts. They look absolutely original and only cost $800 which is $200 more than the new factory ones cost (if they were available).

Thanks for the ACCPUMP settings. I have the LO set quite a bit lower. I am looking for a really quick throttle response and wind-up so I thought you might have found that secret...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.