Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to remove tar from floor boards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
there are lots of posts about this and i am glad i went with the heat gun method over the dry ice method, because i can not imagine the job being any easier than it was using the heat gun.

this thread is for the next guy that wonders how best to remove tar from his or her floor boards in about 1 hour.

tip, get heat gun about 1 inch from floor, warm area, tar should start getting soft in a few seconds, them start getting knife under tar, and working tar off of the warmed floor panels.

i still need to remove the seam sealer but the heat gun and a wood chisel seems to work ok on this material.

debate now closed.
bandjoey
You can also use the HF multitool. Took me about an hour to strip the floor with no mess
76-914
poke.gif What kind of tar are you replacing it with? lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 2 2012, 09:30 AM) *
tip, get heat gun about 1 inch from floor, warm area, tar should start getting soft in a few seconds, them start getting knife under tar, and working tar off of the warmed floor panels.

I found it even easier if you have the gun a good 5" away and at an shallow angle to cover a larger area. No need to "melt" the tar, just get it pliable.
Then use a putty knife to remove large patches at once.

Oh, and wear a good filter mask, them fumes are no good for your brain ...
wacko.gif
jimkelly
no need to melt - i agree

it seems that just getting it warmed up makes it want to come out smile.gif

with the narrow knife you can do all areas - but there certainly are many areas that a wider knife would speed things up.
JRust
I agree on the HB multi tool with the blade attachment. The vibration with the scraper blade get's it off amazingly well. Good thread Jim beerchug.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 2 2012, 10:06 AM) *

You can also use the HF multitool. Took me about an hour to strip the floor with no mess

agree.gif

This tool also makes fast work of the seam sealer if you want it removed also.

They are usually on sale for >$20
jimkelly
this thread started off in my mind as being a - heat gun - vs - dry ice - debate.

debate now reopened popcorn[1].gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 2 2012, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 2 2012, 09:30 AM) *

I found it even easier if you have the gun a good 5" away and at an shallow angle to cover a larger area. No need to "melt" the tar, just get it pliable.
Then use a putty knife to remove large patches at once.

Oh, and wear a good filter mask, them fumes are no good for your brain ...
wacko.gif

+1

I was thinking the same thing. Make sure you have a good mask.

When I was spraying my flares the paint technician who came out to my place made a big deal about making sure you have a good mask. Like there is strychnine in paint...
rhodyguy
5 in 1 painters tool works super. stiffer than a putty knife so you can lean into the work, a pointy end for the corners, and pretty cheap.

do a search for a product called Captain Lee's Auto Spray-Strip. great open time, you'll be able to wipe the tar residue with paper towels, and not fume horrid. it will lift any finished paint it gets on so be very careful. i used it on the green car.

k
URY914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2012, 11:10 AM) *

5 in 1 painters tool works super. stiffer than a putty knife so you can lean into the work, a pointy end for the corners, and pretty cheap.

k

I agree that a 5 in 1 is great for this; sharp and strong.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.