Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove fresh air fan motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
Okay, so I removed the fresh air fan to see why it didn't work. It didn't work because it was completely full of leaves and beetles and nature.

I disassembled the plastic housings with reasonable success. Now I have just the fan/motor assembly in front of me but I don't see how to extract the motor. Applying voltage doesn't make it spin so it needs further attention.

I've searched a bunch but I haven't seen any photos of how exactly to do this.

Thanks,
Marcus
wingnut86
I remember seeing instructions somewhere. Search Pelican as well.

Load up some close up images here just in case, so someone who's accomplished this can comment.

Cap'n maybe?
McMark
Check out this thread. Not exactly what you're looking for but applying firm pressure to the brushes while turning the fan by hand can clean off corrosion.
r3dplanet
I've seen your thread. Thank you for offering that up. Apparently there is more than one kind of fan assembly because mine looks quite different from that one. Not 100% different, but clearly different.

And your smart enough to figure out how to remove yours, unlike me, who's been staring at this stupid thing for the last two hours.

Trying to rustle up some photos.

-m.

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 2 2012, 07:57 PM) *

Check out this thread. Not exactly what you're looking for but applying firm pressure to the brushes while turning the fan by hand can clean off corrosion.

r3dplanet
Okay. Here's what I have. I do realize that the four metal clips on the exterior of the cylinder housing pop off.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

wingnut86
you can use a product like electro-wash or similar electronic spray, noting the user above who mentioned you need to select one that has some lubricating properties. Spray it liberally to loosen up the gunk. Also note that there are bearings in here, albeit inexpensive units, but they did last 40 years. A good bearing house in any major city or most medium sized towns will have one of these, so be prepared to replace the bearings if needed.

The bottom or white fan end looks to have a compression sleeve applying pressure to the fan. Slide it off carefully to reveal the fan and then squirt some PB Blaster or similar on to the top of the pin shaft if removing, being carefull not to use too much as it isn't called "penetrating lube" for nothing. - IMO, you shouldn't need to remove the fan blade as the whole assembly can be removed from the armature by carefully dissasembling the spring clips, and then coaxing the end of the shaft out of the capture bearing you see on the motor and brush end.

I agree with McMark, in that a simple cleaning may be all you need to get her spinning freely again. You can also burnish the spade contacts with some rubber erasers like you have on a pencil or can pick up at OfficeDepot in a small flat piece like kids take to school, as this has a gentle action but will remove surface corrosion well. Hobby stores carry a similar product for HO scale and smaller railroad track for hobbyists. The brushes wrap around the armature and create the umph, as you will, to supply or pickoff the required electron flow or "power"

Cleaning the trough around the motor and armature and burnishing the spade pickoff points will probably be all you need. I am not sure if you can get replacement brushes without buying a whole rebuild kit somewhere, so clean them well, blow out the cavities with air, apply some spray electrical contact protectant where needed and reassemble and test.

Safe bet is that it will get started again fairly easy if you do so, making sure you don't soak the bearings too much in electrowash...

good luck,

Dave
luskesq
Your motor looks very similar to the one I have in my 911. When it stopped running I discovered it needed some cleaning and lubrication; however the real problem was the brushes. I happened to have an assortment of brushes that often come with HF grinders. Happened to have a set that were similar. That took care of the problem. As a sidenote, there is no need to remove the fan itself (although I tried).

Good luck,

Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.