Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thanks Guys done deal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsurfer
Thanks, got the CV joints loose with screw driver.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(xsurfer @ Oct 2 2012, 06:50 PM) *

I'm dropping the engine in my stock six. I've got the bolts out but the CV joints won't budge. Could they be glued/sealed? I've tapped on them with no luck.

Ideas?

Thanks

Gene

Spray PBS Blaster several times,it might take an extra day. Worked for me.
xsurfer
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 2 2012, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(xsurfer @ Oct 2 2012, 06:50 PM) *

I'm dropping the engine in my stock six. I've got the bolts out but the CV joints won't budge. Could they be glued/sealed? I've tapped on them with no luck.

Ideas?

Thanks

Gene

Spray PBS Blaster several times,it might take an extra day. Worked for me.

Thanks, I guess this is day one of soaking. I've already got PB Blaster working.
aircooledtechguy
The pins between the bolts are a really tight fit. I've always used a plastic mallet to whack them. I hit them on the edge where the bolts are and alternate side to side. It usually takes around 3 good whacks, but they eventually break loose and begin to "walk" out of the pin recesses.

xsurfer
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Oct 2 2012, 07:09 PM) *

The pins between the bolts are a really tight fit. I've always used a plastic mallet to whack them. I hit them on the edge where the bolts are and alternate side to side. It usually takes around 3 good whacks, but they eventually break loose and begin to "walk" out of the pin recesses.

Many thanks! I didn't realize there were pins. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Dave_Darling
If there is a gasket between the CV and the output flange, you can put a flat-head screwdriver on the gasket and tap it with a hammer. You'll kill the gasket, but you should be replacing it anyway. You can pry the joint away from the flange, as long as you're careful not to scrape up the sealing surfaces.

--DD
xsurfer
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 2 2012, 07:35 PM) *

If there is a gasket between the CV and the output flange, you can put a flat-head screwdriver on the gasket and tap it with a hammer. You'll kill the gasket, but you should be replacing it anyway. You can pry the joint away from the flange, as long as you're careful not to scrape up the sealing surfaces.

--DD

Thanks Dave! Oddly enough I just got off the phone with a friend that told me the same thing about 911 cars. Tomorrow should do it!
Dave_Darling
I just did this on Sunday...

Click to view attachment

Note that not everyone believes in using gaskets in these joints. If there is no gasket, you might be able to use a putty knife or something similar, but you will have to be even more careful.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.