Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stupid question, best way to remove...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Stupid question time. confused24.gif

What is the best way to remove the center caps from alloy rims (Fuchs)? I have extra set of rims with the center caps all beat up by someone pounding them out from the inside of the cap.

I'm not worried about those caps but the ones on my car are perfect and I plan on doing some tire swapping with my rims and I can't get the caps off. I don't want to pry on them OR beat on the backside to get them out, so whats the trick. They are very tight in the rim.

man I feel stupid <_<
TimT
quick smack from behind with a hammer handle
davep
They can be a bitch to remove. Use lots of penetrating oil. Some people make a tool out of lead / solder / metal epoxy by casting it inside a good cap, and insert a rod to pound on it. Then you can insert the too inside the cap and get full contact on the back side. Pounding it from the back is the least damaging for sure.
GaroldShaffer
That would work, but it would bend the caps outward would it not?

Edit : hammer handle method
Rhodes71/914
Here ya go just saw this on ebay today.

Fuchs removal tool
VegasRacer
I have had 2 different kinds in the past. On one there are 3 allen head screws on the side walls of the caps. You need to loosen them to remove the caps. On another kind the pretty part on the outside is mounted by 2 screws to a backing plate. On both of these styles you need to take the wheels of the car so you can access the screws from the back. That way somebody else can't steel your expensive center caps.
GaroldShaffer
Sean R Thanks! beerchug.gif

John, my caps just have a raised nub (dimple) that holds them in, but man are they tight <_<
rhodyguy
use a small piece of hard wood and a hammer to tap is out. don't push on the center. work around the inside edge. al blose did today. sparing the caps from the hired hands, while getting new tires at discount. not a stupid question. look how many are all dented out and have poped off porsche centers.

kevin
bob91403
I took my dented caps off to replace them while they were still on the car. Used a good strong knife edge to create a bit of a gap between the wheel and the rim of the cap, then used a straight blade screwdriver, turning the handle to lift them away from the rim. Don't know why you'd need a hammer they came off with very little trouble. Leverage boys, leverage.
TheCabinetmaker
Your talking 4 bolt fuchs correct? Mahle's and pedrini's use the same cap.

Get a short length of 2" pvc. modify the end to fit in the back of the cap and tap it out. use a 2" pvc coupler to reinstall it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 30 2004, 06:18 AM)
Your talking 4 bolt fuchs correct? Mahle's and pedrini's use the same cap.

Get a short length of 2" pvc. modify the end to fit in the back of the cap and tap it out. use a 2" pvc coupler to reinstall it.

this man is a genious! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.