Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Q..has anyone popped a TDI into one of our machines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I am thinking out loud (forgive me purists)... has any one installed a TDI?? plenty of room to supe, or keep it stock for good mileage...but will a 901 handle the torque, and then there is fitment....
JRust
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 2 2012, 10:29 PM) *

I am thinking out loud (forgive me purists)... has any one installed a TDI?? plenty of room to supe, or keep it stock for good mileage...but will a 901 handle the torque, and then there is fitment....

Just use an Audi Tranny. I'd love to do one of these. It is on my future wish list of conversions. I've seen an older VW diesel done. It was floating in the Boise Area last I heard confused24.gif
Nürburg Nomad
Funny you mention this, because I was just joking with my buddy the other day how one of the high torque TDI engines would be fun to swap into a 914... Personally I have no intention of ever having anything other than a Porsche air cooled engine in my current Teener... which just means I need another one?! biggrin.gif
speed metal army
Fix the 3.0 l teener. mad.gif No diesel.Bad! biggrin.gif
wingnut86
The Suby diesel is almost a twin of it's gasohol cousin, down to the mounts and fitment.

There was a guy who shipped 6 of them over before the hurricane, all meant to be installed in a group buy for Vanagons and Syncros.

And, she's a torquer...

Just sayin beer3.gif

popcorn[1].gif
a914622
Ya the one over in the boise area was for sale a few years back. It was a 1.6 turbo diesel. I test drove it on the way over to MT to see my sister. It sold the week i was over there.

Lots of tork at freeway speed. He was telling me it got 50+ mpg. I thought it was put together nice.

I like the suby (in a vanagon). I think the turbo would have to be moved UP. but the 6 speed diesel only would make the teener into a rocket over freeway speeds.

jcl
JRust
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Oct 3 2012, 04:25 AM) *

The Suby diesel is almost a twin of it's gasohol cousin, down to the mounts and fitment.

There was a guy who shipped 6 of them over before the hurricane, all meant to be installed in a group buy for Vanagons and Syncros.

And, she's a torquer...

Just sayin beer3.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Love it! I'd do one of those in a heartbeat. Well if my wallet could that is dry.gif
type47
Member here, okiflyr, put a VW turbo and Audi trans in his car. Wouldn't the diesel be the "same" as his turbo?
Click to view attachment
gollygwagen
I had actually been giving this thought too. We had an old TDI Passat wagon and it got around great in the mountains getting almost 50mpg and it's HUGE compared to the teener. I think it would make a fast, fuel sipping daily driver if it was done.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(a914622 @ Oct 3 2012, 09:52 AM) *

Ya the one over in the boise area was for sale a few years back. It was a 1.6 turbo diesel. I test drove it on the way over to MT to see my sister. It sold the week i was over there.

Lots of tork at freeway speed. He was telling me it got 50+ mpg. I thought it was put together nice.

I like the suby (in a vanagon). I think the turbo would have to be moved UP. but the 6 speed diesel only would make the teener into a rocket over freeway speeds.

jcl

"50 MPG" in a Vanagon chassis? He lied, plain and simple, especially with the stock Vanagon tranny. 50 is possible in a Golf/Jetta New Beetle platform, "IF" you keep the speed down and are light on the throttle. Stock 914s can get 30-40 MPG, depending on the car and the behavior of the driver, right? The same drivetrain in a bus "MAY" give you 20 MPG, and that's a stretch.

That said, I think a pre- immo TDi would be great in a teener. Good mileage, lotsa torque, just as fun as the gasoline engine, with good longevity. You'd want the tallest gearing you could find.

The Cap'n
wingnut86
I have been following this thread on TheSamba for a while.

I think this guys has a clone or 2 on our site in the form of some of our super intelligent builder/R&D types (current writer excluded).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...s&start=500

page 26 will wet your thirst for diesel...

John's correct about torque with these small diesels - Amazing!

Click to view attachment

This next image is superimposed with the factory Suby in blue - lots of space savings. Still need an ECU and harness, which the guy is tooling on currently.

Click to view attachment

piratenanner.gif

Mike Bellis
The Audi dual clutch 6 speed tranny is the way to go with the TDI. Super fast shifts!

I'm doing an Audi 1.8t with Audi tranny. Looks like a match made in heaven. I will have 300-350 reliable HP when done and tame a a stock car when tooling around town. I'm keeping the drive by wire TB too!
Dr Evil
gearing in the tranny would suck
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2012, 06:17 PM) *

They have a dual clutch set up for the TDI. It's a Euro version.
wingnut86
I'm thinking one of Ian's Suby cradles, a set of his super slick sway-a-suby half-shafts, a special 5 or 6 speed diesel tranny with his gear and end plate adaptor, a set of the DOJ adapters for the tranny and one of his "in secret development - cable shifters"...

Make 185 - 200 hp at the top end on a EE20 in turbo form. With torque and power for hills and the highlands as well as A/C for us wimps in the hot south.

And if you want to go "green" to make your soul feel better, then change a few oil lines to support Bio-Diesel and run a mapping session as a baseline and save it. Only thing missing is a Panasonic or Sony stereo with iPad/Droid and mp3 support, for listening to Sinatra while you drive up to Eric's hideout in Utah for those new brakes that will seal the deal for more stopping power for the little Godzilla behind the seats biggrin.gif

beer.gif

BTW - is the Suby manual tranny harder to fefresh than a Mitsubishi 5 spwed??
Dr Evil
When I say the tranz would suck, I mean that the gearing would be all wrong for the diesel engine. You would need a tranz geared for the engine. The standard Audi tranz will be geared wrong.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2012, 07:22 PM) *

When I say the tranz would suck, I mean that the gearing would be all wrong for the diesel engine. You would need a tranz geared for the engine. The standard Audi tranz will be geared wrong.

There is an Audi dual clutch tranz geared for the TDI. It a Euro version!!!!

Would also be perfect for a chevy V8 conversion.
a914622
No the vaagon didnt get 50mpg, The teener with a 1.6TD did.

There is a suby diesel tranny for sale on the same site the pics of the suby diesel came from. 1200.00 , cable shift and 70 is like 1600 RPMs. It is the same lenth as the 5 speeds already going in our little teeners. Suby diesel tork is in the 300 flb range.

I would have to agree with above, the pre tdi with, total seal rings, VVTurbo, intercooler, reworked/rebuilt pump, tdi cam, and a real oil cooler would be perfect for a teener.
My caddy with above mods minus the VVturbo could keep up with a TDI jetta up to about 80. then i ran out of gears.

DO IT!! And post pics

jcl
rohar
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2012, 06:17 PM) *

The 00W variant 012 is available in the states. Gearing is well within range for the TDI. If that's not tall enough, 01x trannies can be brought over from Europe. Spendy though.
bigkensteele
Has anyone considered a W8? I don't know if they are any good, but they are cool.
rohar
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 5 2012, 03:08 PM) *

Has anyone considered a W8? I don't know if they are any good, but they are cool.

I've got a friend with one in a VW Gol (No that's not spelled wrong, it's a Brazillian model.) Apperently a total maintainance nightmare, but a head turner.
pete-stevers
well Doc... what type of tranny, or gear ratios would need to be employed??
Dr Evil
Ones that do not exist for the 901. They would all have to be custom made = $$$. Just use the diesel trans that was posted above and all will be right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.