Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I tell a 2.0 or 1.8 Liter car from the VIN #?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2pointOH
Hi All--one additional question on verification on a car I'm looking to buy. The seller claims he has a 1974 2.0 Liter. I'm nowhere near the car and am trying to arrange a mechanic inspection tomorrow.

If I know the VIN number can it help me identify what should be in the car?? I know the 74 VIN numbers ranged from: 474 29 00001-474 29 21370

Let me know what I should be looking for and where to verify the engine and original spec for this build.

Thanks--John
SirAndy
QUOTE(2pointOH @ Oct 4 2012, 10:32 AM) *
If I know the VIN number can it help me identify what should be in the car??

No ...

The only way to be certain about what engine came with the car originally, you will have to get a COA from Porsche.
shades.gif
r_towle
Get the serial number of the motor.

Rich
JeffBowlsby
If the car is original it may still have its engine bay sticker above the relay plate on the drivers side, which will also indicate its original engine size. Does not mean that the original engine is still in the car, or that it has not been modified but its a clue as to what was original. Here are two examples:

109 CID is a 1.8L 120 CID is a 2.0L
bigkensteele
A 1.8 car will also have a bracket spot welded on the drivers side engine bay to support the large air intake of the L-jet. This could easily be removed by drilling out the spot welds, but some evidence would be left behind such as a paint touchup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.