Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electronic rust protection systems - thoughts ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dale73914
Hey All,

I'm thinking of fitting one of these systems to my teener.

We have a couple of major brands selling in Australia, and a they are used extensively in the mining sector ( coal mines in particular ) ,in government and also by alot of our surf lifesaving associations.

http://www.couplertec.com/ and http://www.erps.com.au/ are the two mains ones.

I'm thinking of the couplertec system.

I'm also going to look into lanolin or fishoiling as well as a secordary protective system.

i reckon the more i throw at it the better the long term prognosis for keeping the car from deteriorating more, or at least slowing it right down

Has anyone here had a system of this type fitted to slow down the inevitable rot ??

If so, what has been your experience ?

I know these systems work, and work well on a new vehicle. I am trying to gauge their effectiveness on an older vehicle like ours.

Cheers

Dale
Mike Bellis
While these may work theoretically, your 914 is already rusty! Everywhere you can't see: (inside longs, lap joints, spot welds, inside targa bar, etc...). Will this stop that rust from getting worse? If you have good paint, like the picture below shows; The outer layer of the paint becomes positively charged. This will attract every dust particle you come in contact with. The same principal as the "super duster" type cleaning tools for window blinds. So there is both positive and negative aspects to this device. (pun intended)

IPB Image
dale73914
My understanding from what i have read is it will slow down the progression quite well by ' halting' the oxidisation process. i just dont know how much for a vehicle that as you say , will already have some rot .
I have one on my 4WD, fitted new, and after 11 years of heavy use i have a very clean vehicle. One area in particular is proof in the pudding.
two bolts, both the same type, one is grounded to the vehicle, one is isolated. One is rusty, one is not......

cheers

Dale
Dave_Darling
I don't know anything about that specific system, but a number of years ago we had people advertising a way to plug in a 9V battery that was supposed to prevent rust electrolytically. It didn't work.

A nice piece of zinc can work, but for it to do so the whole thing has to be immersed in water all the time. Not exactly something you want for your car. wink.gif

--DD
dale73914
Hey Dave, yeah the old school sacrificial anode stuff ( cathodic ) really is only suitable for things that live in water, hence usse on oil rigs etc where they do a good job.
Not at all suitable for a car.

And there was many a snake oil saleman selling little boxes with a red LED adn not much else happening in the 1970's and 1980's.

The new systems are a long way on from the early stuff.

I just dont know how good they are on an older vehicle that already has established rust. i know they are meant to work, i would just like to know of someone aside from the vendor .....
76-914
Wow. A bunch of 914's Down Under. welcome.png Aussies are good folk. Ya'll remind me of Texan's with an accent happy11.gif . A few years back someone posted about a guy who lives on the coast; maybe the Gulf Coast. Anyway, he had dipped a piece of steel in some concoction he made. Was it linseed oil and something else? He had pic's of it after several months of being tied to his dock where it was subjected to the hi/lo tidal effect, daily. It appeared to be still new! Anyone else remember that?
dale73914
hahaha, my neighbour is a Texan.

We both like to BBQ smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.