Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finshing Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
I am just about finished with the restoration of my ‘73 2.0 with FI to near concourse level. It will not be considered concourse because the PO put an oil pressure gauge in the dash. I didn’t want to go the expense of replacing the dash. The other changes are cosmetic Momo steering wheel, plush carpeting, and a later model rear view mirror. Other then that the car is stock. All of the dings have been removed from the body. The couple of rust points have been cut out and replaced. All surface rust spots have been treated with PORS. All removable parts have been taken off for the repaint job with the original sunflower yellow color. The under carriage has not been gone through. Considerable amount of money has been spent (so what else is new). To protect the investment, how important is a certificate of authenticity for a restored 914? Thanks for you the input. Azbill
914forme
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry had to do it!

I am not sure it will do more for the value of the car, but it does help with the docs that go along with the restoration. Is it worth it only you can answer that.

BTW, I don't have them for either of my 914s not even the all orginal six! But then I don't think it would make a bit of difference.
azbill
I'm a newbie yet pics will come when completely finished.
Thanks for the opinion its valued.
Azbill
Bleyseng
The one from the Porsche Club of America is nice for establishing the value for insurance.

Hey, my son lives in Glenndale off 59th! You should hook up with him.
Rusty
A Certificate of Authenticity is nice for establishing the options and correct colors for a "correct" restoration.

However, the best protection for your investment will be an insurance policy that sets an agreed-upon value for your pride and joy. Many people have had excellent experiences with Haggerty.

Glad to see you posting, and hope to see pictures soon!

-Rusty smoke.gif
azbill
I live off 51 Ave and Northern
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Oct 29 2004, 06:42 PM)
the best protection for your investment will be an insurance policy that sets an agreed-upon value for your pride and joy.  Many people have had excellent experiences with Haggerty.

agree.gif Highly recommended. Hagerty
azbill
Thanks everyone, the car is covered by Hagerty now. I will most likely need to increase the value. Am looking forward to driveing it when it completed. In about 2 to 3 weeks.
Azbill
TravisNeff
Hey Bill, I am right down the street from you 11th Ave and Northern. We oughta meet up sometime!
Scott S
Not to sound like a jerk, I was just curious how can it be concour if the undercarriage had not been gone through? Was it already concour due to low miles?

I did a half assed detail on my under carrariage; painted wheel wells, shocks (had new blue bilstien stickers made up), a-arms, new cad calipers, etc - it was a bitch to even do it half assed.
gregrobbins
AZBill, I am just two miles away. It would be nice to hook up once you have your car on the road.

Greg

623-297-4084
Seagrave
You don't have to have a perfectly original car for concours. They might be a little more sticky if it is the Porsche Parade, but there are other events that you can do including regional PCA events and non-club car shows. My car is not stock either. When I used to show it in PCA events I lose points for my wheels, my euro driving lights and euro lenses. Don't care...like the way it looks. Apparently so do they because I did well. No garage queen either. Would go to the track days in those days and still put 2-3K miles on it each year (it's now approaching 180K total). I don't do activities with PCA anymore. In a club now that is sports cars but non-brand specific. More fun. Everyone appreciates everyone else's car. Go ahead and show your car if you want to. Ignore those who say concours are for anal retentive types. The nicer your car is the more it's worth and the better you feel. Go to track days and AX too, won't hurt the car or the finish (unless you REALLY screw up).
Hi_Fi_Guy
I'm just down the road in in Surprise, AZ and just finished my restoration as well. I know some of the other local 914 owners are thinking about doing another Sunday 9:14 breakfast and drive sometime in Nov./Dec. we should all get together soon.

I also think it might be fun for all of us local 914 guys to go to the Pavillions some Saturday but that just me be me... I grew up with a father who restored Mustangs and Cougars for people and built hot rods in his spare time so I can admire the 'Merican Heavy Metal from time to time.

As far as the certificate it certainly can not hurt and if/when you ever want to sell to some people it does make a difference. Scottsdale Porsche can also order the door sill VIN/emissions sticker if you need one so long as you have title & registration.

Also, most of the insurance companies do not REQUIRE an appraisal on our cars but I am hearing more and more stories where the other guy is at fault and his insurance company will not pony up without a pre-existing appraisal so it sounds like a good idea for anyone with seros coin tied up in their 914. Especially for those of us in a state with mandatory insurance where less than 40% of the drivers on the road are actually insured.

Finally in the AZ region of PCA concours cars are not penalized for "performce modifications" like strut bars, roll cages, etc. I assume the after market gauge would fall into this category. IN addition in the STREET class of PCA concours the undercarriage is NOT judged so you need not worry too much.

Wash & Shine - Interior & Exterior
Street - Interior, Exterior, Engine, & Storage
Full Concours (including unrestored & preservation classes) - Interior, Exterior, Engine, Storage, & Undercarriage
Display - Not Judged... usually the nicest cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.