Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first 914. HELP. Need advice.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael80203@
Hello,

I JUST ADDED A FEW PICTURES. TAKE A LOOK IF YOU HAVE TIME. THANKS.

I need some advice on purchasing my first 914. I found one I like and have a bunch of pictures of the car and 2 movie clips of the car being started and driven. The car is located in Barbourville, Kentucky and was hoping I might even find someone that could go look at the car for me. I think that might be a bit to much trouble so I was just hoping someone could guide me along with the information I have. Hope someone can help.

chad...
Jeroen
Welcome to 914world.com!!!

post your pics here, and I'm sure you'll get some good pointers
mharrison
Well, you need to particularly look at the area under the battery tray in the engine compartment on the passenger side. This is an area prone to rust over the years and can cause a failure in the right longitudinal making the car sag. An actual HOLE here is a definite sign of trouble. If it is rusty, ask if you can probe it with a screwdriver. If you can push it through, seriously consider finding another car.

One suggestion is the "big butt test". This is where you remove the top. Put a large friend in the passenger seat, and attempt to open and close the door. Problems doing so would be a good indication of the longitudinal problem.

I would also suggest that either you or a mechanic check the the compression on each cylinder.

-Matt
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

oh, and welcome to the club!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
plas76targa
Chad,

If you don't find a club member close enough to look at the car, then get a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) done by a repair shop that specializes in Porsches. Call around or perhaps some one here can suggest a shop near you. Should cost you an hour or more of labor to have that done. $125? I had one done near SF for just under that.

I trust you've researched these cars THOROUGHLY? They are great fun but do require attention and a bit of $$$. Good luck with the search. And post here when you make the big plundge!
Bruce Allert
IMHO I would not buy a 914 unless I could see it, drive it, inspect it..... thoroughly especially if it's your first one.

Even if someone that's knowledgeable in checking these cars out looks at it for you, their opinion would differ from yours as to what you want in a car.
Don't be in a hurry. There's got to be quite a few 914's within driving distance for you to check out.
Good luck & welcome.

.......b
rick 918-S
Welcome! wavey.gif
brant
chad...

post pictures...

(oh and after you figure out how, then teach me.... just got my first camera in the mail tonight)

brant
BMartin914
Chad,

Welcome to another (aspiring) Colorado 914er!

Cars usually pop up for sale around here every once and a while, and there are a lot of great local folks around to help answer your questions, etc.

I see you have your eye on a car, but just a note...
There is a '74 2.0 for sale here locally. Used to belong to Ferg, another local 914er. The car is in good shape rustwise and mechanically. I can probably help you get in contact with the owner if interested. Mail me off board if you have any interest.

Good luck!
michael80203@
HERE'S 1 PIC...
michael80203@
1 MORE...
michael80203@
smile.gif
michael80203@
biggrin.gif
Rusty
Is your car equipped with steel flares or fiberglass?

How do the longitudinals look? (Areas behind the black rocker panels.)

-Rusty smoke.gif
michael80203@
huh.gif
michael80203@
smilie_pokal.gif
michael80203@
biggrin.gif
michael80203@
wub.gif
michael80203@
cool_shades.gif
michael80203@
beer.gif
Bleyseng
A 1.8l car that hasn't been maintained to well. Some rust but from the pics not terminal. How about rocker pics?

Geoff biggrin.gif
michael80203@
pray.gif
brant
bump

b
mharrison
It doesn't look to be in bad shape. However, I wouldn't recommend buying this car with plans of just driving it. One of the first things I would suggest is that you address the rust.

NOTE: You can substitute POR 15 with your Rust Converter of preference in the posts below!

To do this I would:

1. Pull the engine and thoroughly wire brush, sand, POR 15 primer, and paint the Hell Hole (area under the battery). OK, you don't have to pull the engine, but if you do, you'll be glad you did. It isn't hard and it will make the rust repairs MUCH easier.

2. Repair the battery tray with factory or like factory parts,

3. Wire Brush, Sand, POR 15 prime and paint the firewall in the engine compartment.(part between engine and seat backs.)

4. Take a good look at the very rear of the trunk. There looks to be some rust there that has had either a primer, or cursory treatment.

5. Remove the black rocker panel covers and inspect for rust THOROUGHLY. Repair as needed.

6. Inspect that rear window is sealed well at the bottom, and that there is no serious rust at rear of floor pan where it meets the firewall. If there is, repair as needed.

If you are not comfortable with repairs check with the local members in your area about a good mechanic. Fuel Injection is not something easily troubleshot without a good working knowledge and the right tools. That said, A LOT of 914 owners work on their own fuel injection, and I'm sure you can too if you need/want to. Just remember that there will be a learning curve on this.

I would also not agree to purchase this sight unseen. (Well, without physically being around the car to inspect it.) I wouldn't have as many qualms about buying it without a personal physical inspection if the pics didn't indicate the level of neglect that they do. If you are really interested in this particular car, I would take a road trip and go take a look at it and drive with plans to either trailer/drive it home, OR leave it where it sits depending on the results.

I would also definitely look into the car the BMartin914 has mentioned in your area.

Just my 2 cents.

-Matt
Bleyseng
agree.gif

:givemebeer:Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.