Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driver side mirror drill template?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jersey914
The PO filled in the mirror holes with "weld" and now the are unusable because they are full of weld material. I figured I would drill trough the weld material but that has proved impossible because of the lack of space and the fact that I Cant see well up in there. It looks like my best option is to drill from the outside and try to get as close the the right location as possible and then put some new lock nuts on the end of the threads from inside the door.
Has anybody created a good template for the OEM mirrors so that I can drill from the outside and be done this debacle? I want the mirrors mounted as close to spec as possible.

Please advise!!

rob

confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
If you can use a center punch on the inside and make a dimple on the outside you will have a target to drill on. Find the nuts inside the door. (If they are still there). Place the center punch as close to the center of the nut as you can and tap the punch lightly with a hammer. It will give you a small mark where you can then center punch from the outside and drill a reasonably accurate hole. Start with a small drill diameter.
jersey914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 7 2012, 02:22 AM) *

If you can use a center punch on the inside and make a dimple on the outside you will have a target to drill on. Find the nuts inside the door. (If they are still there). Place the center punch as close to the center of the nut as you can and tap the punch lightly with a hammer. It will give you a small mark where you can then center punch from the outside and drill a reasonably accurate hole. Start with a small drill diameter.

Eliott, that was the first thing that I tried to do bit the P/O filled in the nut with so much weld material it is sticking out the nut. There is no way to use a hole punch from the inside. Even if I could use those holes, the thread on the nut is unusable.

next???
t collins
Rob,
I took the following measurements from my 71 door. Sorry had to locate off the rear of the door due to vent rubber in the way. Hope this helps.
Tom
jersey914
QUOTE(t collins @ Oct 7 2012, 10:06 AM) *

Rob,
I took the following measurements from my 71 door. Sorry had to locate off the rear of the door due to vent rubber in the way. Hope this helps.
Tom

Where are the measurements
t collins
Sorry,guess this would help!
Click to view attachment
Harpo
I just got back from the garage to take this photo for you but t collins has done a much better job

Click to view attachment
jersey914
QUOTE(t collins @ Oct 7 2012, 10:12 AM) *

Click to view attachment

So Tom, if i am reading this correctly, we have 27.5" to the center of the front hole and 1.18" back to the center of the rear hole. The holes sit out .620 out from the molding (not the inside edge of door)??

Please confirm!

biggrin.gif
Harpo
Are the dimensions the same Right & left?

DAvid
t collins
No, its 27.5" from the rear of the door to the rear hole and then another 1.180" to the front hole. The holes are .620 off the inside door edge.......a measurement from the molding would not be very accurate.

QUOTE(jersey914 @ Oct 7 2012, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(t collins @ Oct 7 2012, 10:12 AM) *

Click to view attachment

So Tom, if i am reading this correctly, we have 27.5" to the center of the front hole and 1.18" back to the center of the rear hole. The holes sit out .620 out from the molding (not the inside edge of door)??

Please confirm!

biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.