Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progressive Weber Choke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I'm new to this board and looking for info on adjusting the choke on my progressive Weber carb (single 2 barrel, progressive Weber, don't know the model type). Just bought the car last year, 71 914 w/1.7L. When first started and the engine is choked and when fully heated, the car runs real good. But after the first couple of minutes (when the choke opens), pre-warm low RPM (below 2k) has almost no power and difficult to get off the clutch without revving the engine above 2-3K. The choke opens pretty fast and the engine thermostat is missing but on order. I have a couple of questions about the carb and choke setup:

1) Is there a setup or adjustment for the choke to change the speed at which it opens?

2) I've read about the stock FI intake where warm-air is circulated into the air cleaner. I can't find where the warm air comes from in the sheet metal and how would I (or do I need to) get warm air into the carb? The air cleaner is a simple snap on type. (See pic)

3) There's a hose from the crankcase to the carb from the oil filler that seems to be a breather. What is this for and how should it connect to the carb? Should there be a valve or something on this hose?

Thanks,
Spoke
Series9
Proper adjustment is achieved by removing that carb and throwing it as far as you can. ar15.gif
Spoke
I don't want to spend much on the carb. What would you suggest for a replacement? Can I get it used?

Thanks,
Spoke
tesserra
Those carbs are actually not that bad, on cars other than a 914.
The problem is that the intake runners are sooo long that the fuel mixture gets screwed up by the time it reaches the intake valve. The runners are cold and the fuel vapors condensate and kinda stick to the runners instead of staying aerosolised (sp).

The choke adjustment should be the standard, a little tension when bone cold then fully open in about 2 mins. Those chokes are usually electric heated, so they open to whatever you set them to, independent of the engine temp.

Having said all that I have no experience running a car in the winter temps of Pa. and you could have cold weather problems that I have never even heard of.

Good luck
George
Spoke
QUOTE(tesserra @ Oct 30 2004, 04:56 AM)
Those chokes are usually electric heated, so they open to whatever you set them to, independent of the engine temp.

George,

How do you set up the choke? I don't know of any adjustment of the electric choke. I've thought about adding a resistor in series with the choke to slow down the heat-up rate.

Spoke
boxstr
www.redlineweber.com I believe they willhave the adjustment you need in teh table of contents. I have one on a ford motor, works great, electric choke, take s awhile to warm up.
Starting routine, turn on key, step on throttle, turn key, starting car, high cold idle, let run until motor tgemp increases then step on throttle to release choke, drive off.
CLINWEBERCARBS
tesserra
If the choke is opening too soon you just adjust it so there is more spring tension on the choke plate by turning the cover of the choke heater. Usually 3 screws loosen the cover then you just rotate it the direction you want. There are usually detents marked on the adjustment, you should use those as a guide.

George
Spoke
QUOTE(tesserra @ Oct 30 2004, 08:59 PM)
If the choke is opening too soon you just adjust it so there is more spring tension on the choke plate by turning the cover of the choke heater. Usually 3 screws loosen the cover then you just rotate it the direction you want. There are usually detents marked on the adjustment, you should use those as a guide.

George

Please see attached pic if I got this right. There's the 3 screws holding the heater unit that will adjust the spring tension of the choke. What's the other unit for? It seems to have an adjustment. I can't find an explanation of it on redlineweber plus their website operates at a crawl.

Thanks,
Spoke
Spoke
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 30 2004, 05:02 PM)
www.redlineweber.com I believe they willhave the adjustment you need in teh table of contents. I have one on a ford motor, works great, electric choke, take s awhile to warm up.
Starting routine, turn on key, step on throttle, turn key, starting car, high cold idle, let run until motor tgemp increases then step on throttle to release choke, drive off.
CLINWEBERCARBS

I found a bit more Weber info (and a faster website) at:
http://www.webernorthamerica.com

I saw some references to the other adjustment in the previous pic which is the choke pull-back. I think this is the mechanism that opens the choke a bit once the engine is running. I don't think I need to adjust this.

Thanks,
Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.