Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock Coil - Electronic Ignition - Do most upgrade?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Just started the 73 2.0L

I noticed from most pictures that most folks do not have factory coil. To get more spark should you change it out? Mine seems to start good but right now have a bad muffler.
I noticed the Pertronix ignition and flame thrower coil for $110.
Not really wanting to buy stuff unless necessary.

What do you experts say about this? Is it necessary?
underthetire
Electronic ignition is nice, compu fire, Pertronix, whatever. Coil not really needed IMO.
struckn
If you go with Pertonix make sure you buy the one that is correct for the four Cylinder Engine, assuming you have a four, and Pertonic Ingnition needs a 3 OHM Coil. Also gap your plugs at .040-.050 as the hotter spark can easily jump the larger gap and give you a better burn plus the plugs will last longer. Ive had this in two of my cars for years and they it have been problem free. No moving parts to ware out and a hotter spark. Only negative I've heard is don't leave the ingnition on when the motor is not running as the Col will heat up and eventually fail.

Doug

bye1.gif
bandjoey
OK I just gotta ask. The Pertronix only gives a consistent spark, not a hotter spark, per google reading. So why gap the plugs double the factory specs? No smart ass here, just want to know more. Thanks
timothy_nd28
You won't get a hotter spark with the use of a pointless module and the stock coil. If you want a hotter spark, upgrade the coil and mod your ignition rotor to rid the resistive component.
Also, when using the pointless module, don't use copper core plug wires.
struckn
The Pertronix's 3.0 OHM Flame-Thrower Coil can put out over 40,000V. The Igniter Electronics under the Cap can handle the higher energy released from the Coil and send it to the Spark Plugs allowing the spark to cross the increased Gap.

The larger the Spark the better the combustion. You can use the factory gap but to take full advantage of the Pertronix and the increased energy that the Coil puts out you can increase the Spark Plug Gap.

slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.