Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Purple Factory Teener?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I was looking at the picture that a fellow 914World member posted this summer closely. It is at the Karma factory. If you will look at the last teener on the line on the left, it looks Purple! I blew the picture up and it looks purple! Is that a special order color because I have never seen one.
rick 918-S
Could be a code 98. Does it look like this Color?

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Yes! Never seen one! Cool! I guess that was special order color?
turk22
When I first looked at it, I thought Alaska Blue Metallic, but it does have a 'purplish' tint to it... tough to say...
Chris H.
Yeah it sort of looks like the color was enhanced in that photo... Could be Aubergine though...special order... That's an early photo eh? The VW's appear to be '69s based on the bullet KG turn signals and the smaller Beetle ones... I think the Ghia had a minor makeover in '70... Not sure why that's important but... cool pic biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Something else about that photo that has likely been discussed is the body color bumpers. WTF.gif I am no expert by any stretch but I have seen chrome and black.
turk22
They all have the euro taillights, maybe the body color bumpers was for 1970 in Europe? confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Body color was the standard bumper up through 1973. Chrome came on the Sixes and was an extra-cost option on the Fours. Most American dealers loaded up the early cars with options for higher profits, so the body-colored bumpers are a bit unusual over here.

--DD
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 7 2012, 09:40 PM) *

Something else about that photo that has likely been discussed is the body color bumpers. WTF.gif I am no expert by any stretch but I have seen chrome and black.

My '71 was Gemini Blue with Body color bumpers. confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
Oh..and just a warning.....

Don't call it "Purple" around Rusty. He has a purple 914 and he insists it has to be called "Aubergine".

McMark
I have one in my personal collection waiting its turn for restoration. biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 8 2012, 10:41 AM) *

Don't call it "Purple" around Rusty. He has a purple 914 and he insists it has to be called "Aubergine".

Can we call it Barney?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 8 2012, 09:35 AM) *

I've seen 914's repainted and during the process have the bumpers painted body color but I can't say I have seen factory body color bumpers here in the states. Is yours still in factory paint?
rick 918-S
Oh, I can't find the photo but someplace there is a photo posted of a factory lillac colored car. I think it was a 911 color.
Jgilliam914
I knew a girl who got a 76 914 2.0 that was " Purple " her dad it special ordered due to her favorite color. Last I saw of it and her was in The Camarillo Ca. area in the early 80's
Dave_Darling
If it's the gal I'm thinking of, the Cap'n knows her. The car was originally aubergine color, but it was hit and the body shop couldn't match the color very well. So they repainted it a purple color from a Saturn (?) of some kind.

--DD
scotty b
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 8 2012, 06:41 AM) *

Don't call it "Purple" around Rusty. He has a purple 914 and he insists it has to be called "Eggplant".

agree.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 8 2012, 11:06 AM) *

I've seen 914's repainted and during the process have the bumpers painted body color but I can't say I have seen factory body color bumpers here in the states. Is yours still in factory paint?

Yes, you have seen a 914 with factory painted bumpers...... Betty's.

Dave_Darling
But Betty's is a 74; didn't they switch to black bumpers that year for the non-chrome ones?

...And I thought I remembered Betty's car having chrome bumpers...

--DD
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 8 2012, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 8 2012, 11:06 AM) *

Yes, you have seen a 914 with factory painted bumpers...... Betty's.

I ass u+me..d they were repainted. biggrin.gif Interesting. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 8 2012, 08:51 PM) *

But Betty's is a 74; didn't they switch to black bumpers that year for the non-chrome ones?

...And I thought I remembered Betty's car having chrome bumpers...

--DD

If you bought the appearance group options then the bumpers were chrome. Otherwise they were black. Betty's car has NEVER had chrome bumpers. I suggested it once and was shot down because "that's not the way the car was born".
I didn't push the subject after that. I learned after the fight over a sticker in the back window. chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.