Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire Size Recommendations?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Have good dry rotted tires with good tread.... (not good)

What size can you put on a standard stock 73 2.0L?

Any for sale out there?

Jgilliam914
205/60 is a good size
GeorgeRud
I seem to remember that 185-70 were pretty common back in the day. 165-75 were the original size if I remember correctly.

Are you looking for a stock appearance, or want to go with a lower profile size for your car. Unfortunately, most of today's ultra high performance tires don't come in these rather vintage sizes.
Jgilliam914
George is right on.But go to tirerack.com and you can find whats available and what will fit and you can decide what you want and how much they are worth new. from that information you can see what might be a decent deal and what it too much to pay. Shipping will be about 25$ PER TIRE regardless if they are new or old
kbrunk1
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Oct 7 2012, 11:10 PM) *

George is right on.But go to tirerack.com and you can find whats available and what will fit and you can decide what you want and how much they are worth new. from that information you can see what might be a decent deal and what it too much to pay. Shipping will be about 25$ PER TIRE regardless if they are new or old

Just stock appearance and economical.
kbrunk1
So the tire size for standard stock tires is

205/60 R15

?? Can they vary?
johannes
205/60 R15 is a bit extreme in my opinion.

195/65 R15 is a better choice for everyday use and the diameter is the same as the original 165/80

185/65 R15 is a bit smaller in the diameter but this is the size you will have the largest choice in brand and rubber. And this is also the size where you will find the cheapest tires.
wndsnd
Does anyone have any comments on 195/60R15/87S

steuspeed
Stock diameter is ~25". A 195/65/15 tire is a good place to start. TireRack provides detailed information on tires under the 'specs' tab for each tire they sell. Here is a recent thread on tires.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=direzza
gothspeed
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 8 2012, 07:25 AM) *

I had that tire size on my LE and they looked perfect in my opinion ....... they also improved the handling from stock ...... smile.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 8 2012, 01:34 PM) *

I had that tire size on my LE and they looked perfect in my opinion ....... they also improved the handling from stock ...... smile.gif

Great,

I purchased online and put them on yesterday after I rebuilt the suspension and they looked too big, in the rear (I hate that) yes however, I have no axles in as yet so I assume that the attitude will change once loaded.
trev0006
Yeah, tirerack has good info and prices too.

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Oct 8 2012, 10:22 AM) *

Stock diameter is ~25". A 195/65/15 tire is a good place to start. TireRack provides detailed information on tires under the 'specs' tab for each tire they sell. Here is a recent thread on tires.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=direzzadiscountdpc
Spoke
hijacked.gif

While we're thinking about tire sizes, I'm in the process of 5 lugging my 914.

I've got 6x16 for the front and 7x16 for the rear.

I'm thinking about 205/50/16 for the front and 225/50/16 for the rear.

Thoughts?
Drums66
......Just a suggestion(195-60-15)
stones.gif tunez.gif dead horse.gif thumb3d.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 8 2012, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 8 2012, 01:34 PM) *

Great,

I purchased online and put them on yesterday after I rebuilt the suspension and they looked too big, in the rear (I hate that) yes however, I have no axles in as yet so I assume that the attitude will change once loaded.

yeah tires can look bigger when the suspension is unloaded ..... the 195/60-15 is a tad smaller than stock ........ I think they look 'just right' on 15" stock width wheels on narrow body .......... I had 195/50-15 before and they looked too small in diameter for the style of the car ....
balljoint
That was two questions. Should have been good for two threads.
rgolia
agree.gif 195/65 15 is close to stock. here is what they look like on a stock setupClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
gothspeed
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 27 2012, 04:29 PM) *

hijacked.gif

While we're thinking about tire sizes, I'm in the process of 5 lugging my 914.

I've got 6x16 for the front and 7x16 for the rear.

I'm thinking about 205/50/16 for the front and 225/50/16 for the rear.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of 205/50-16 for the front smile.gif .......... for the rear, I am still torn between 225/50-16 and 225/45-16 ......... the 45 profile will match the front diameter of 205/50-16 ........ but I have seen people use a larger diameter rear ........... like a 225/50-16 ..... and it looks pretty good on some flared versions ... smile.gif

Here is a another members pic of that larger rear vs front ........ this example seems a bit exagerated but it is a good illustration of that effect:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/buic...rk/IMG_5822.jpg

What is your reason for the larger 225/50 rear vs a 225/45 ?
Woody
I'm running 205/50/15 in the front and 225/45/15 in the rear. popcorn[1].gif
toon1

I'm running that size on a set of westerns. The are a good size. It will give you 4.5%under drivewhich makes you shift a bit more.

Other than that they are a good size.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Woody @ Oct 30 2012, 08:13 AM) *

Cool! Thanks for posting ......... do you have any pics of your car handy smile.gif?
Woody
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 30 2012, 11:10 AM) *

Cool! Thanks for posting ......... do you have any pics of your car handy smile.gif?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Woody @ Oct 30 2012, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 30 2012, 11:10 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Wow! your car has a nice stance and tire size proportions beerchug.gif !! I think I just about made up my mind on tire sizes smile.gif!! Thanks for posting those pics .......... feel free to post more of them ..... popcorn[1].gif
Woody
Click to view attachment

And way back when,

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gothspeed
^^^ Awesome pics smilie_pokal.gif ...... thanks for posting popcorn[1].gif
Woody
No problem buddy. biggrin.gif
toon1
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 30 2012, 09:10 AM) *

No sorry, I will try to get you one tonight.

I am on the middle of a 5 lug conversion so I have Boxster snowflakes on the back and the westerns on the front. I think I have some pics of the car with Westerns all the way around.

EDIT....ooopps sorry replied to the wrong post.
gollygwagen
I was actually test fitting to see what might work for me last night. I have a few different wheels from my Audi I could play with, but they wouldn't clear the hub in the front. However on the rear I was able to try:

Black 18x9 +15 wheel with 235/40/18 tire
I was surprised at how close this was to fitting in the back. There is about an inch of clearance inboard and I I think if you used a +25 offset and rolled the fender lip it would work. This was a worn tire, but certainly a 225 should clear without much fuss.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Silver 18x10 +25 wheel with 265/35/18 tire
The +25 was about perfect in the back JUST clearing the swing arm, the tire (as one might expect) stuck out well past the fender. I'm not convinced that some liberal fender rolling couldn't make it fit a 255, which is my goal in the rear, but we'll see.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I was intending to run a silver wheel, but the black looks pretty awesome!
gothspeed
Thanks for posting those pics gollygwagen smile.gif! ......... they are a great reference! I will be going with fuchs 7s and 951 8s x 16 ..... with GT flares ........ and after seeing those pics that woody posted ....... I think my tires size options are pretty much settled ........ the tire profiles on woody's car look 'right' ......... so it will be 205/50-16 front and 225/45-16 rear for me ....... my wheels are 1" larger diameter than woody's .... so I will be ending up with that inch added to the overall diameter. I think it will look good sunglasses.gif
Woody
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 31 2012, 11:07 AM) *

Thanks for posting those pics gollygwagen smile.gif! ......... they are a great reference! I will be going with fuchs 7s and 951 8s x 16 ..... with GT flares ........ and after seeing those pics that woody posted ....... I think my tires size options are pretty much settled ........ the tire profiles on woody's car look 'right' ......... so it will be 205/50-16 front and 225/45-16 rear for me ....... my wheels are 1" larger diameter than woody's .... so I will be ending up with that inch added to the overall diameter. I think it will look good sunglasses.gif

Those are BBS 15x7s and 8s on my car, it is my ax setup. My street/track wheels are 15x7 cookie cutters.
gollygwagen
QUOTE(Woody @ Oct 31 2012, 10:36 AM) *

Those are BBS 15x7s and 8s on my car, it is my ax setup. My street/track wheels are 15x7 cookie cutters.

Do you happen to know the offset?
Woody
Don't remember. I'll look tonight if I remember.
ctc911ctc
Reviving this thread

I am buying new tires and am trying to determine the brand.

I have settled on all 4 corners having 195/65R15

Brands?????

Pirelli from 252 each down to Laufen (????) for 65 each.....ok, off with the Laufen....

I am going to drive in good weather, no rain or snow. would like a good ride with a little bit of sporty feel......also, if they could make me look slimmer, that would be a plus...

Thank you Teeners!
Badinfluence1
OK Ive had :
205 50/15 too big for the car- rode like a brick

185/60/15 these are easy to throw the car into turns and they look and ride nice- I like pirelli's and goodyear eagle in this size

165 165 15 stock...the car is nimble but breaking is not the greatest and they look a touch old fashion- driving.gif
emerygt350
I like the way the 16s fill the wheel well but also leave enough rubber to drive on real roads (or at least what they call roads around here).

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
johnhora
Vredestein
SPRINT CLASSIC - SIZE: 165HR15

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...C&tab=Sizes
horizontally-opposed
195/65R15 is the go-to size if you want the original OD with a wider, more modern tire at a lower price—that will fit most narrow 914s.

205/60R15 is the max for most narrow 914s, but may rub on one or both sides at the rear depending the tire as well as the individual car. 205/55R15 will help there, and doesn't get as small on the OD as 205/50R15.

I'm on 185/70R15 Avons now, and wasn't impressed with the Vreds in that size. I've heard rumors they're better now than they were then, and I did love the crisp steering and nice ride, but there was just so little grip that it didn't feel like a performance tire. Again, maybe they're better now? The Avons are pretty good in the dry, so-so in the wet, and last a lot longer than expected. Downside is cost and stiff sidewalls, which is part of what makes them good vs the Vreds.

I hear good things about the CN36, but wish Yokohama would reissue the A-008P in 195/65R15 & 215/60R15, or the A-008R in 205/60R15. Easily the best street tires I've had on my car over the last 30 years. They looked right, and sure went right.
Tdskip
I've actually been moving towards a smaller size and now prefer 185/65 R15. Let's the car move around a bit, lighter, and good ride comfort will little if any loss of grip in 99% of the driving you are going to do on the street. YMMV.
bbrock
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Oct 24 2021, 08:24 PM) *

Reviving this thread

I am buying new tires and am trying to determine the brand.

I have settled on all 4 corners having 195/65R15

Brands?????

Pirelli from 252 each down to Laufen (????) for 65 each.....ok, off with the Laufen....

I am going to drive in good weather, no rain or snow. would like a good ride with a little bit of sporty feel......also, if they could make me look slimmer, that would be a plus...

Thank you Teeners!

I really like the 195/65R15 Firehawk AS tires I have on my car. It's an all season tire because we have possibility of snow year round and night temps are a tad chilly for summer tires even in summer. There are better performing tires but these have not limited how hard I'm willing to push the car. In other words, my nerves give out before the tires do. They are quiet, look good, and pretty cheap. Speedo reads about 4 mph optimistic at 75 mph.
emerygt350
I use the Firehawks A/S as well (225/50/16 though). I have even been autocrossing with them. I wouldn't suggest that but I sure felt good with them on the car during an insane 2 hr downpour I drove through a couple weeks ago. They rarely made me nervous at 65 with a puddle for a freeway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.