914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
heres a funny-

"whats the worst part about driving a miata?"

Telling your parents your gay! laugh.gif
Root_Werks
chairfall.gif
skline
I agree that a Miata is more of a chick car but some of them I have seen are petty bad ass and not so much chick cars. The car that could never be for anyone but a girl or a gay guy is a VW Cabriolet, That car has girl written all over it and there is nothing masculine about it.
Sammy
I didn't have anything against miatas, I actually thought they were kinda cool until they started showing up to the OCR/PCA ax events in mass.
The last couple of times I tried to sign up it was full because of the miatas.
i can't register way in advance because my schedule it too crazy.

Anyway, the normal thing to do when the miatas show up is to start a pool of which squid is going to take the timing lights out first.
These guys rev it up to 6k and dump the clutch, some of em get a little wheel spin, some bog the motor.
They take out more cones than anyone of the regulars. They drive the course like there is a zillion bucks riding on it and they get style points for sliding and spinning.
Really soured me on the cars seeing the type of people who own then around here.
914helo
I drove one once and though it handled pretty well, I was really annoyed at the foot pedals. They were too small and too close together, and I've only got average sized feet. Oh yeah, with the top on it was a little snug.
boxstr
I had one I like them, kind of reminds me of my old Bugeye Sprite and A Lotus Elan. Just need a little more power and some flares.
CCLINMIATAMATTERS
914forme
Yeah I got one cheap for $500 got it running for a less than a $1. First thing I did was take it down an auto-x it!

The all seasons sucked but I had a great time drifting the piss out of that car. And sold it that day to a guy looking for a Miata auto-x car. I liked them, but they are not me, I would take an elan (old school) any day before I would buy another Miata. I only kicked one cone with it even with the ass hung out as much as I did.

Made 5 runs that day had corner works cheering me on!! But I got the best cheer of them all guy offered me more than I could refuse and sold it on the spot. Last in class and still came home a winner!

But none the less I liked it as one of the few modren sports cars, in true form.
watsonrx13
Just bought my second Miata. The first one I owned was a '95, bought brand new. It has 213,000+ miles on it. This has been the most reliable sports car I have ever owned. I expect this second one to give me the same type of reliability. I drive 90 miles round trip a day. The reason I own (3) 914s is because I don't rely on them for daily transportation. You'll notice that I live in Florida, the sunshine state, yea right. It rains on a regular basis here. The Miata allows me to enjoy top-down driving every day it doesn't rain. When it does rain, the A/C works great. Everyone here is always putting the Miata down. This is the car that revived the 2-seater sports car revolution in 1990. I don't race or A/X my Miata because I rely on it for daily transportation.

Boxstr, you mentioned the lack of power, well I drove the new MazdaSpeed, with the turbocharger, what an awesome car. Unforturnately it would be too expensive for me to maintain, what with 20,000+ miles per year. BTW, the 914 was and is underpowered.

I've owned a Morgan +4+, several Bugeyes, MG midget, CarmanGhia and other 914s. The Miata is the only reliable sports car that I owned. Also, I don't own, nor will I ever own any SUV or Pickup. I learned a long time ago how to avoid an accident, not own a vehicle that would survive one.

So anyone that doesn't like the Miata go finger.gif
sanglee007
92 Miata: Bought in Feb03, Starts up everytime.
76 914: Bought in Jan02, drove it for 5 minutes in ~2 years.

If I put the money into the Porsche that I put into the Miata, yeah it would kick ass...and still be a VW. (Hybris is a bitch, so don't get ahead of yourself.)

I'm not a marque-whore, so I don't care if it's a VW or Suzuki, if it's a good car, it's a good car. I bought the 914 because of it's reputation as a "cheap" racer. I bought the Miata for the same. (one day, I'll have $$ and time...not one or the other)

Sang 92/Mariner Blue // 76/914.4
(doing his best to be an offended, not gay, over-compensating Miata owner!!! smile.gif
mrobin
i just sold my miata to purchase a 914.
the miata is a modern fun sports car. mine had over 200k with no problems whatsoever.
the reason i got the 914 was so i could work on it (something always needs fixing)
the miata just needed to be washed.

by the way..why are their so many automatic miatas ?
...so your right hand is free to adjust the air condition//
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 30 2004, 02:05 PM)
I agree that a Miata is more of a chick car but some of them I have seen are petty bad ass and not so much chick cars. The car that could never be for anyone but a girl or a gay guy is a VW Cabriolet, That car has girl written all over it and there is nothing masculine about it.

Holy shit!!! I have two 91' VW cabriolets!!! I'm not a fruit!!!...you can call home and ask my wife biggrin.gif

Yea they attract chicks laugh.gif
Joe Bob
If you think driving/owning a Miata is gay....try walking two mini Dauschunds.....got all kinds of gay comment shit from some dorks sitting at a sidewalk bar yesterday....

My retort was "my mutts have bigger balls than all ya put together".....broke the whole place up.

Later...went to a open air bar/cafe.....EVERY freaking pigeon, seagull and other skyrats boogied.....the patrons gave them a standing ovation and the manager booted my ass out because my mutts violated the health code......RIGHT, birds shitting all over the place and my dogs are a health hazard...... finger.gif
Howard
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 1 2004, 08:04 AM)
Later...went to a open air bar/cafe.....EVERY freaking pigeon, seagull and other skyrats boogied.....the patrons gave them a standing ovation and the manager booted my ass out because my mutts violated the health code......RIGHT, birds shitting all over the place and my dogs are a health hazard...... finger.gif

Nope, YOU are the health hazard biggrin.gif And my Yorkie can kick your Doxie's butt.

But seriously folks, if you've seen Spec Miata racing it's the tits! It really take cojones to enter that. The cars are really well matched so it's all driver skill.
To all you guys that need a penile extender, buy a 911 or a really big truck. I'll drive anything that burns dead dinosaurs.
Dave_Darling
Spec Miata? I overheard a couple of guys talking about that at a local SCCA race.

"I was thinking about driving Spec Miata.... But I don't think there's a place on the roll cage to hang your purse..."

In many places, the SM cars are seen as disposable--and driven that way. Thankfully not everyone does that, but all it takes is a few yahoos.

--DD
Root_Werks
I owned a 91 a few years back. nice little cars really. Mine had the terminal front crank key break away problem. Sucked, cost me $$$ to have the lower end replaced. Other than that, nice car, way underpowered.

Rode in one that had a 13B in it. Now that was what the MX5 SHOULD have been. biggrin.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 30 2004, 11:05 AM)
The car that could never be for anyone but a girl or a gay guy is a VW Cabriolet, That car has girl written all over it and there is nothing masculine about it.

My wife and daughters don't get this. They cannot understand why I don't drive ours unless I absolutely have to.
type11969
Dunno if you all have witnesses the same, but in my area I've noticed that the Wrangler has become quite the ladies car . . . Interesting and sad development from the old CJ7s which I think are pretty badass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.