Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I get this damned switch out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lawrencedesigns
In trying to replace my starter switch, I have run into a snag. Pelican tells me there should be two screws holding the key mechanism in. In my 76, there is no such screws...
How do I get this mechanism out without destroying it?
Root_Werks
Your 76 is "newer" or different than the pre 74' ones. I cannot remember how, but there are no screws (in the same place anyway). Keep looking? confused24.gif
ejm
The lock is held in by a springy tab. If if has never been changed before you'll need to drill a hole in the housing to push on the tab. Look at the new lock cylinder and use it as a guide for the hole location.
lawrencedesigns
Thanks Ed. Unfortunately, I don't have a new cylinder. I am only replacing the plastic switch.
I will just have to keep working on it.....
TheCabinetmaker
Keith, before you start drilling holes, check this out.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...+switch+removal
Aaron Cox
i know how on a 73/74 car...but that dunt help sad.gif
eeyore
Just did this last week on a '75.

Remove the circlip on the left end of the shaft (circled in red). Pull the hex-head bolt holding the switch assembly to the column underneath (red arrow). You don't need to remove the circlip that hold the bearing to the switch assembly. The switch assembly will come off the shaft with medium effort. A small phillips screw holds in the switch assebly.

PS I hope you got a factory Porsche switch. It is well worth the $35. The $12 aftermarket part available from everywhere else wears out quickly and/or doesn't work reliably. I hate asking strangers for a push start.
lawrencedesigns
Thanks...I got it apart.
I drove over to Performance Products and got a $17.00 Switch. Have I screwed up?
eeyore
The cheap switch works. But not as well as the expensive one. Now that you have the hang of swapping the switch, no biggie. If you start having odd symptoms of intermittent headlights, hot start problems and other electrical issues, switch the switch first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.