Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vanagon transmission?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sean_S
Hi all,

Here comes my endless stream of mostly rehashed questions.

I think I'll start with this one...

Aren't T4 engines in both 914's and VW busses, and if so what are the differences between the 914 tran's and the 3 or 6 rib bus/vanagon trannys?

Just wondering because I thought some of these would interchange and it seems like a bus tranny would be beefier.

Thoughts?

Sean
skline
The bus tranny might be beefier, but you would have to flip the ring and pinion on it. On a bus the engine is in the back, the 914 it is in the front. I have heard you can use an Audi 5000 tranny but I dont know of anyone that has.
Katmanken
Ugh....

5 speed replaced with 4 speed......

4000 rpm is 70mph.......

On top of that, there is a fatal design flaw where someone impersonated an engineer and put 3 rectangular notches into the gears. Seems there is no radius at the corners of the notches so the stresses are close to infinite at the corners. blink.gif

This shows up as a gear going away. When you go in there, you find 1/3 of the missing gear laying in the bottom of the tranny and usually one or two of the other notches having a crack.

Ask me how I know.. mad.gif finger.gif

I never designed crap like that! Musta been the same guy that put rivets in the GTI tranny...... another accident waiting to happen.....

Love my Vanagon tho....

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.