Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting to see 914 and Boxster in same turn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
Interesting to see dynamics of two mid engine Porsche FP cars in same turns at Nationals

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Randal

One car is leaning, the other isn't. IMHO it isn't rocket science, just setup.

J P Stein
Of course it's rocket science. Grant was unable to make the thing quick but the fella that bought it, obviously a rocket scientist, could.

Feeding trolls causes them to return ..like possums to a cat's dish left out overnight...... trolls ain't worth spit at AX...nor are possums.
jjackson
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 12 2012, 11:28 PM) *

we went with a significantly stiffer setup on day 2.More on pace.We will see how we do on the 27th and 28th. J
Woody
That Boxster is a really cool car. Erik and Beth are very talented drivers and super nice people. I have been helping with tech support on the 2.7 install and we are trying to find a reasonable solution for the axles now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 12 2012, 09:28 PM) *

If you look closely at the two butt pictures, you'll notice that the suspension on the two cars is loaded almost identically going through that corner.

If you just look at the tires and how they contact the surface and the lean of the suspension without looking at the outline of the car, i can see no difference.

No matter how you slice that, it's still pretty impressive for a 40+ year old suspension design ...
popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Woody @ Oct 13 2012, 10:22 AM) *

That Boxster is a really cool car. Erik and Beth are very talented drivers and super nice people. I have been helping with tech support on the 2.7 install and we are trying to find a reasonable solution for the axles now.

Thanks the car was fun to build. I would have taken a couple different paths with it if I could do it over however Erik has done exactly what I had planned for motor in FP. We talked a lot about that 2.7. S axles should help with some of issues he and Beth are seeing. I've been talking with him too.
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2012, 10:56 AM) *

If you look closely at the two butt pictures, you'll notice that the suspension on the two cars is loaded almost identically going through that corner.

If you just look at the tires and how they contact the surface and the lean of the suspension without looking at the outline of the car, i can see no difference.

No matter how you slice that, it's still pretty impressive for a 40+ year old suspension design ...
popcorn[1].gif

Yeah amazingly similar. That's what I was thinking. However seems to me Boxster is holding camber better on loaded wheels as well. ....and Boxster just has a lot more wheel and tire up front and can use it.
URY914
30 years difference of engineering and design sad.gif
jjackson
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 12 2012, 10:30 PM) *

Interesting to see dynamics of two mid engine Porsche FP cars in same turns at Nationals

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Car setup in pix-Hoosier A 6s 285 30 18s in rear
255 35 18 in front
350# springs up front
175 # springs in rear

22MM front swaybar-3 inches from loose on adjustment.
no toe in front
1/8 toe in in rear (total)

Valved JRZ's all around.

2.6 negative camber in front with 6 degrees caster
2.5 negative in rear

We'll see how we do on the 27th and 28th.

We'll see how we fare against the Boxster on the 27th and 28th.
J
Woody
175 lb springs in the rear?
jjackson
QUOTE(Woody @ Oct 19 2012, 01:44 PM) *

175 lb springs in the rear?

Yes-175s J
ChrisFoley
Bigger sway bar and stiffer rear springs.
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 19 2012, 05:05 PM) *

+1

I'm running 245# in the rear, but without a sway bar.
jjackson
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 19 2012, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 19 2012, 05:05 PM) *

+1

I'm running 245# in the rear, but without a sway bar.

I agree-missed setup for Lincoln grip.Was happy with the car on practice course-tighter course-slower corners-
Ran sway bar adjustment 1.5 inches stiffer (full) and more compression on rear shocks second day.Was more on pace on day 2- J
PlaysWithCars
Surprised by your conservative toe settings. Thought a little toe out up front and zero toe in rear was typical autocross set up to improve turn in. Not practical on the big track because of instability, but I thought good on autocross course to improve rotation.
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2012, 10:56 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

+1 biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.