Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
911/914
Trying to find some help with chosing the right springs and torsion bars to use for a 914/4 vintage racer ?
john rogers
My car weighs 2278 pounds and I use 23mm t-bars in the front and 300# springs in the rear with Koni Sport shocks all around. I use slightly heavier springs since my car uses slicks and gets more grip than a car with v700s or something similar. I had to go with the rear 300# springs since the car was lifting the front wheel easily even with a roll cage in the car and they keep it flat. This works well for most of the tracks I race at in So Cal area such as Willow Springs and CA Speedway which are flat and smooth. At PIR in Az the car was a little too stiff and wanted to push some in the corners so I couldn't go flat out like the softer sprung cars could. What do the east coast guys run??? Good luck
campbellcj
I haven't tried this configuration yet, but I am putting in 22mm front t-bars and 225lb rear coil-overs for my next event.

Also keep in mind that your swaybars and tire types/sizes, as well as the track layout and conditions, all are important variables in sorting this stuff out. I currently have a Weltmeister 22mm front swaybar and no rear bar.

As John hinted, if you go too soft you might not be taking full advantage of your tires' traction due to extreme body roll and weight transfer. But if you go too hard then I think you can "overwhelm" the tires and skate or bump right off the track.

My car is a tad lighter than John's and has less torque, and I run DOT tires vs. slicks. So I think a 200-250lb spring rate is probably about where I want to be.
TimT
I have #450 fronts #350 rear spring on my 914/6 w/3.2. The car doesnt push at all, and throttle steers really well. I think if my car had a 4 banger id be using much lighters springs.
Zeke
This doesn't get brought up much, but the wider your track on front and rear, the more bar/spring you need to stay the same as a narrow car. 22/200 should be plenty for a narrow 4 cyl car. At least that's what I think 'cause that's what I have. But you can't listen to me, I haven't driven the car yet! Hah! laugh.gif
john rogers
Since you need to drive it some Milt, are you coming out to the CA Speedway vintage race next month on 6/21, etc.?????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.