Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's talk about "being stock" vs "having the car you want"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ScoopLV
When I was a kid I had a 914. I wanted 5-lug Fuchs, the Porsche rear reflector, the front badge. And quite frankly, if I could have done one of those ridiculous Beach Boys body kits (the kind that makes a 914 look like a Ferrari) I probably would have.

I was on a parts website, buying some side lenses, when I saw a sale on the rear reflector and put one in my cart. Then I took it out of the cart.

Why? I have a basically unmodified teener -- 99% stock. It's almost like I feel I have a responsibility to keep it stock. I'm going to upgrade the fuel lines, and the shift linkage. One's a safety issue and the other is an invisible upgrade. But I'm going to keep all the old parts so that I could "put it back to stock" if I ever wanted.

I never really liked the look of the vinyl sail. I prefer the B column to be the same color as the rest of the body. My car doesn't have sails. Obviously a previous owner agreed with me on that point. But I'm seriously thinking about putting sails back on, because, hey, that's the only thing that isn't stock on the car.

I always liked the look of having a front badge. To me, the car looks nude without a badge on the front. But that would require drilling two holes into a perfectly good hood. Sure, I could fill the holes if I ever wanted. But that's one less hood out there that's never been mucked with.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post, or even if there's a point to it. But I'd like to hear from people about the validity of "turning your car into YOUR car" vs. "there aren't many unmodified cars out there anymore, so keep it stock."

Where do you fall in that spectrum?
Jeffs9146
I have purchased at least 3 cars with the intent to put a 3.0L in (which I had), and decided they were too nice to put the 3.0L in! I finaly sold them all and got a chassis that had a blown motor and messed trans! I pulled the trigger and I think I am happier than if I had modified a good stock car! Now I don't have to worry about what I want to do to it....it's my toy!! beerchug.gif
mharrison
If I felt like I couldn't do what I wanted with my car, I'd sell it and buy one that had already been "molested".

Although honestly, unless it was just a cherry, stock, numbers matching, 914, I'd make it the car I wanted.

My 2 cents.....
ScoopLV
QUOTE(mharrison @ Oct 15 2012, 09:36 PM) *

Although honestly, unless it was just a cherry, stock, numbers matching, 914, I'd make it the car I wanted.

That's what I've got -- cherry, stock, matching numbers. It just doesn't feel right to muck around with it.
Mike Bellis
Keep all the original parts to put it back to stock...

Do what you want. I'm not even sure what stock is... biggrin.gif
damesandhotrods
Well for me it’s more of matter of getting “having the car you want” out of my system in my teens and twenties. And now that I’m a little older I see the wisdom and appreciate “being stock”.
moparrob
It is your car. Do what you please as you answer to no one.

One day we shall each depart from this earth and it will matter not how you chose to indulge your whims while you graced the planet with your presence.

Carpe diem!
speed metal army
Aww heck,Its all reversible.I have a V8 in my car.If I feel he need to bring it back to stock( biggrin.gif )I could.So could you!Its your car,and not the only bone stock one out there!Enjoy it man.
ScoopLV
Well, eventually the engine is going to quit. Then I may "upgrade" to something a little less messy. But even then I'd keep the old engine. Hell, I'd probably have the old one rebuilt, and put in a crate. And then zip around town with a Suby or similar.

But how about some numbers. Around 120K of these cars were made. How many are still on the road? Forty thousand? Less? And how many of them are basically rust-free stock? Twenty thousand? Probably more like ten. I'm just pulling numbers out of my ass. But there can't be a whole lot left. Or maybe there are. I don't know.

I like the look of the GT. When you get down to it, who doesn't? But it doesn't feel right to me to have flares welded on and drop a big engine into it just because I can. If I want a faster car, I can always just buy a 911 and go to town with that. To put things in perspective, I live in Las Vegas. It's a rare day when I DON'T see a Lamborghini zipping down Tropicana Ave. But I've only seen two 914s in five years. And one of them was because I was considering buying it. The other I saw in a parking lot, rusty as hell, with a for sale sign on it.

When I was a kid and had my first 914, there were a lot more of them out there. Hell, there were three in my neighborhood. I suppose that's why I wanted a slant-nose, badged, 3.0 liter Carrera 914. Just to separate myself from the "herd" of 914 owners. But today I'm older and wiser. And even though I could just open the checkbook and make the slant-nose 914 a reality, I don't see any good reason to do so.
Krank
Funny you should post this. I also have one of those "numbers" relatively speaking and I have a slightly rusty body (car, not me). My intent was, and still is to leave one well enough alone and chop, cut, rebuild the spare body into the powerhouse toy each of us thinks about.

I also look at the time left to do this....

Some say we are only caretakers of our cars until the next owner. I think this is true to a point as the next owner will take care of whatever you pass on to them that is worth caring for.

BTW, here in central Canada, there are actually quite a few running, driving 914s especially considering our salt laden, car killer winters we have here. Probably not many (if any) are original purchases but...

Back to topic, the debate rages on. Personally I will probably just leave the one as a survivor and build up the other one.
speed metal army
QUOTE(Krank @ Oct 15 2012, 10:57 PM) *

Funny you should post this. I also have one of those "numbers" relatively speaking and I have a slightly rusty body (car, not me). My intent was, and still is to leave one well enough alone and chop, cut, rebuild the spare body into the powerhouse toy each of us thinks about.

I also look at the time left to do this....

Some say we are only caretakers of our cars until the next owner. I think this is true to a point as the next owner will take care of whatever you pass on to them that is worth caring for.

BTW, here in central Canada, there are actually quite a few running, driving 914s especially considering our salt laden, car killer winters we have here. Probably not many (if any) are original purchases but...

Back to topic, the debate rages on. Personally I will probably just leave the one as a survivor and build up the other one.

Im actually amazed there are any in Winnipeg.Its hostile there weather wise.Last time I was there it was salty,dirty and Fu%$*ng COLD.
Again,almost nothing is irreversible.Do watcha like. smile.gif (Ya Humpty dance reference)
Doot rrrr doot rrrr!
oldschool
I'm the 2nd owner of my white car, And my Red car is for toying around.... smash.gif
ConeDodger
Say! You guys haven't been modifying your cars have you? 'Cause if Garvey finds out! blink.gif av-943.gif
Rand
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 16 2012, 02:19 AM) *

Say! You guys haven't been modifying your cars have you? 'Cause if Garvey finds out! blink.gif av-943.gif

My '70 has a perfect rain tray, but everything else is modified.
JawjaPorsche
There is no right or wrong to this discussion. Just like some of us like redheads, or brunettes, or blondes........or all of them......... beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Have one of each. It's not like they are rare. Well not yet anyway. We do have rust issues but compared to other marks not so much. You see some cars rusted in half and others with nothing. Maybe 10 or 15 years from now we will be discussing the preservation aspect of the hobby. But for me right now, I plan to own both.
SirAndy
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 15 2012, 09:57 PM) *

Well for me it’s more of matter of getting “having the car you want” out of my system in my teens and twenties. And now that I’m a little older I see the wisdom and appreciate “being stock”.

agree.gif

When i bought mine it was already way beyond the "molested" phase. I don't feel bad adding to it since it was is a total hack-job.

I'm all for keeping the nice stock ones unmolested.
No need to cut up a perfectly good car, there's plenty of hacked ones out there that you can use as a blank canvas for your customization.
popcorn[1].gif
ScoopLV
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 16 2012, 10:58 AM) *

No need to cut up a perfectly good car, there's plenty of hacked ones out there that you can use as a blank canvas for your customization.

Well, unless it already looks like this:

IPB Image

Although I suppose you could take that down to the chassis and start from scratch.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ScoopLV @ Oct 16 2012, 11:01 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 16 2012, 10:58 AM) *
No need to cut up a perfectly good car

Well, unless it already looks like this:

How exactly does that qualify as "a perfectly good car"???
icon8.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 16 2012, 11:08 AM) *

How exactly does that qualify as "a perfectly good car"???
icon8.gif

agree.gif

Nice Miata stromberg.gif stirthepot.gif headbang.gif YMMV
MDG
I have one of each. An all original '73 and a hot-rod GT car.

The 73 I purchased from the original owner. He had done a remarkable job of preserving it with the exception of a poorly done repaint (at least in the original colour) back in the late 80's. When I bought it I knew it needed to be be repainted so I completely took it apart, took the shell down to the metal, fixed the very minor rust areas and had it once again shot in it's proper Phoenix Red. I did not find a single non-original part on the car. The only things changed were parts that were damaged. And I spent a couple of years (and way too much money) sourcing NOS parts to replace the few items that needed it.

The '76 was in really tough shape, some awful prior bodywork, paint that was flaking off, the interior was a mess and the 2.0 had already been blown and replaced with a 1.8 . . . yeah, I had zero issues using it as the tub to "build the car I want." In fact, that's exactly why I bought it.

If I was to only have one? That's not an easy answer for me but I tend to think I'd keep the '73. But maybe not. No - I would. Maybe. -ish.

unsure.gif

I'd better keep both.
turk22
I'm in same boat as Scoop.

I had a 914 in the mid 80's, and did everything 'wrong' with that car, took off the FI, replaced with single carb, low budget wheels and tires. I just didn't know any better, and there was no internet to resource to help me out.

So now I have a 99% original 73 2.0L and I'm trying to decide which is an acceptable usabiity upgrade (like a petronix ignition vs the points) or something that may well lower the cars value in years to come, instead of improve it.

I've heard some people talk about the car's 'patina' but it just looks tired to me. It needs new seat covers and carpet, the dash is badly cracked, the paint is... tired. But all that stuff is original.

So I'll decide as I go, but my plan is to from an engine standpoint, keep it fairly stock for the time being, and see if I can live with it. I'll freshen the interior because by the time I'm ready to part with it, it have that patina again huh.gif

Having two is a cool option, and believe me part of me would love a 914-8, but that kinda is not realistic for me at this point.

Turk
JawjaPorsche
I "freshen" my interior this year and it has really made a big difference! Got rid on my outdated cassette player for old school radio!

QUOTE(turk22 @ Oct 16 2012, 03:29 PM) *

I'm in same boat as Scoop.

I had a 914 in the mid 80's, and did everything 'wrong' with that car, took off the FI, replaced with single carb, low budget wheels and tires. I just didn't know any better, and there was no internet to resource to help me out.

So now I have a 99% original 73 2.0L and I'm trying to decide which is an acceptable usabiity upgrade (like a petronix ignition vs the points) or something that may well lower the cars value in years to come, instead of improve it.

I've heard some people talk about the car's 'patina' but it just looks tired to me. It needs new seat covers and carpet, the dash is badly cracked, the paint is... tired. But all that stuff is original.

So I'll decide as I go, but my plan is to from an engine standpoint, keep it fairly stock for the time being, and see if I can live with it. I'll freshen the interior because by the time I'm ready to part with it, it have that patina again huh.gif

Having two is a cool option, and believe me part of me would love a 914-8, but that kinda is not realistic for me at this point.

Turk
r_towle
mine will never be show cars, and that goes for everyone of them except maybe the 356....
Everything else I have no guilt about customizing to my needs and desire...then I actually enjoy driving them.

Rich
VaccaRabite
I built the car I wanted.
Then I changed it.
Then I changed it.
Then I changed it.

Its still the "car I wanted" but I keep changing it and have not driven it in nearly 2 years. Boooo!

Zach
DBCooper
Cars are like sex. For some the missionary position is all they need. Other people want more. Then they get old and for a lot of them it's all missionary again. Others never go back. So who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows? Who cares? But just like sex what you do is your business, not mine.
naro914
I believe in keeping the cars bone stock...like mine are... smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 16 2012, 06:35 PM) *

av-943.gif
Andyrew
I've never been able to not tinker with something....

Hell I unbolted the rear muffler off of Jerikas new car while she was asleep because I couldnt take it any longer smile.gif
ScoopLV
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 16 2012, 03:08 PM) *

Cars are like sex. For some the missionary position is all they need. Other people want more. Then they get old and for a lot of them it's all missionary again. Others never go back. So who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows? Who cares? But just like sex what you do is your business, not mine.

I disagree with the analogy. It would be more like, "if you try a new position, you can never go back to missionary -- you're now stuck with that position." Or something like that.

I wouldn't exactly call stock 914s "plentiful." There's still enough of them that someone can buy one for not a whole lot of money. My new toy is a perfect case in point. But as more and more people rip out the four cylinder engine and replace it with a Suby or SBC, and as more and more people weld in flares and change the suspension to a 911 RSR, it will be harder and harder to find a "vanilla" 914.

It's probably a good thing that I was strapped for cash as a kid. Otherwise, I would have turned my 914 into something that belonged on the cover of VW Porsche magazine (are they even still in print?). It seemed back then that everyone wanted a Chalon body kit and the interior out of a 911SC.

I think I find myself agreeing with one of the general consensuses that if you're going to mod the hell out of a 914, buy a beater or one that has already been modded. Although I can certainly see the point of the "it's your car, do what you want," I think we're approaching the point with these cars that we're just caretakers for the next generation.

Of course, as more and more people turn their 914s into V8 screamers, my cherry teener will become more and more rare, and thus more and more valuable.

Erm...

Uh...

Oops, I've been looking at this the wrong way. Mod away! biggrin.gif
bigkensteele
My car has that patina being discussed earlier, and it was much more popular at the last couple of Porsche shows than I would have imagined. It is also very close to stock, which is not really what I want. However, it also needs the hell hole fixed, new paint, AND it is a '75 1.8. Even if prices go through the roof, the '75 1.8 will always be at the bottom of everyone's wish list. Therefore, I don't feel too bad about all of the modifications I am going to make when I have the time and the funds.
raw1298
Mine was a wrecked rolling chasis one day from the crusher, I'm doing what I want! smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I bought on already modified. I can't leave well enough alone...

If I had an all original 914, I may leave it like that. Not sure...

I had a 65 mustang that was so original, I felt I had to restore it to stock, original condition. At the same time a I had a 69 Dodge Super Bee set up as a pro touring car. I prefer to go fast and stop fast! A stock 914 does not fit that bill 100%...

Click to view attachment
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 16 2012, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 16 2012, 06:35 PM) *

av-943.gif

You laugh?

On Huey, the windshield, side mirrors, doors, front/rear/engine decklids, dashboard, and chassis are stock.

On Papa Smurf, the dashboard....and...um... oh hell, never mind. Well, if you're going to nit pick here, I guess my definition of Bone Stock and yours are a bit different now aren't they?
speed metal army
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 16 2012, 07:27 PM) *

I bought on already modified. I can't leave well enough alone...

If I had an all original 914, I may leave it like that. Not sure...

I had a 65 mustang that was so original, I felt I had to restore it to stock, original condition. At the same time a I had a 69 Dodge Super Bee set up as a pro touring car. I prefer to go fast and stop fast! A stock 914 does not fit that bill 100%...

Click to view attachment

This is wrong.This car couldnt possibly be more fun than a bone stock 914.Change it back. mad.gif

biggrin.gif
larryM
re: Porsche personalization (a.k.a hotrodding)

Automobilemag.com - August 2010 - ("R_Gruppe - Bad Boy Porsches"):

" ... it's worth remembering that Porsche was founded as a manufacturer of nothing but sports cars, and racing has always been part of its DNA. ....

Porsche published manuals that detailed exactly how they (privateers) could modify their cars to maximize performance.

Porsche titled the books, ""Information Regarding PORSCHE Vehicles Used for Sports Purposes."

In America, of course, we call this hot-rodding. ....

Huergas (says) " Those sports-purpose manuals told me that I could do anything I wanted."

. hotrodding Porsches

fyi - 914 references: Porsche publication ""Information Regarding PORSCHE Vehicles Used for Sports Purposes. 4890.20-200-03-72 2. Edition from Model 1970" and "Ersatzteilliste Marz 1970 Best. Nr. 6024.14"

RickS
I swear this is a repeat question from the 911 boards about 10 years ago.

My teener came pre-modded, with a 2.0 rather than a 1.7, Fuchs instead of steals. sails off, non-original wheel, rear reflector, and Porsche crest on front hood, Appbiz carpeting, and a big woofer in the consol and more. So, there was nothing to preserve.

So I decided to build a mild resto-mod which would meet my needs. So out came the 2.0 and in came the 3.0. the tail shifter gave way to a side unit. the rear fenders were mildly flaired to accomodate 7" 5 lug Fuchs, '72 911S alloy front calipers, front oil cooler, new seats an back pad, sliding passanger seat, chasis reinforcement kits and blah blah.

The car scoots, corners even better, and gets plenty of looks. As for value of a modded car, I was offered 30K for it and happily turned it down. I want to enjoy if for a while and perhaps make it more to my taste.
ScoopLV
QUOTE(RickS @ Oct 16 2012, 09:14 PM) *

I swear this is a repeat question from the 911 boards about 10 years ago.

My teener came pre-modded, with a 2.0 rather than a 1.7, Fuchs instead of steals. sails off, non-original wheel, rear reflector, and Porsche crest on front hood, Appbiz carpeting, and a big woofer in the consol and more. So, there was nothing to preserve.

So I decided to build a mild resto-mod which would meet my needs. So out came the 2.0 and in came the 3.0. the tail shifter gave way to a side unit. the rear fenders were mildly flaired to accomodate 7" 5 lug Fuchs, '72 911S alloy front calipers, front oil cooler, new seats an back pad, sliding passanger seat, chasis reinforcement kits and blah blah.

The car scoots, corners even better, and gets plenty of looks. As for value of a modded car, I was offered 30K for it and happily turned it down. I want to enjoy if for a while and perhaps make it more to my taste.

That sounds excellent. But I have a feeling when the "go faster" bug bites me, I'll just buy a 911SC cabrio and go to town on that. That way I already have the 911 brakes, wheels and suspension. I've seen some nice SCs going for cheap around here.
RickS
Yup you can buy a nice SC between 15 and 22K with all the bells and whistles and it will be a lot more comfortable too. I wanted a 914-6 for the pure driving dynamics that only a middey can provide, but driving a 911 well gives a whole different level of satisfaction. I have owned a couple of early 911s and they are great. Good luck on your quest.
JmuRiz
Obviously I'm all for building the car like you want it.
But, when I did buy my car I got one that was already running a carb'd 4-cyl and had some other minor mods on it. That made it OK in my mind to go all out and do what I wanted.

11+ years later I'm finally getting around to doing it.
Cupomeat
Yeah, I have this sort of "perfection paralysis" as well, if you can call stock "perfect"...

On my 914 I've restored it to a close to stock state and can't imagine doing ANY serious mod, especially things like carbs or anything that take more time from driving.

On my 993, it is so clean and pretty that I won't alter anything that isn't a wear item or can't be put back to stock in no time.

Heck, my last house in NJ was built in 1941 and was of such incredibly fantastic workmanship and quality that I had a hard time putting holes in the lovely walls or replace the original elgin steel kitchen cabinets.

I suppose I need to get over that all and worry less.
rnellums
In my opinion, a car that is perfectly stock is a rare find indeed. It is very rare to find one that hasn't had foolish modifications or a repaint to a different color. If you want to do a heavily modded car, sell the original one for a profit and buy one that is already headed to modded direction. Above all though do whatever you want with it. beerchug.gif
Madswede
I bought my 914 with all the malice of foresight! happy11.gif I had always intended to put in a 911/6 of some kind in there, and steel flares.

I did want to keep the original color, though, after I saw how the New Mexico sun and sunsets made the Phoenix Red color so beautiful. shades.gif

I even kept the original seats, though I had them bolstered. Steering wheel had to go, I'm too big for stock. Rennshift as well.

Having said that, the custom tail lights Joe O'Brien did are fantastic, as is the magic he's working with the upgraded 3.2. Yeah, this is a driver's car, through and through.

When the opportunity presented itself financially, and Joe described to me the options and benefits, I decided I wanted 2000's technology with an 80's Porsche flat six, in my 70's Porsche-VW chassis. So yeah, I did what I wanted. smile.gif
Jgilliam914
Ive had 2 914s one was completely stock and the other one never was while i have owned it.

I felt that with having one bone stock that it was my duty to preserve.

The other was my toy, the one I played with the one I autocrossed and have changed virtually every component on the car.

I no longer have the original one but I am drawn to ones that still are.

I would love a numbers matching 6 with a 110 hp to take into my old age but a 1.7 with a appearance package could easily suffice.
bembry
I like the stock look. Mine started out thrashed with a bunch of non-stock parts (worn out rivieras, cut door panels, hole in the dash, homemade carpet, destroyed center console, cheapie aftermarket steering wheel, antenna, and mirror, and cracked fiberglass from air dam) and a horrible oxidized maroon respray.

I took it back to stock light ivory with a cheap paint job, got stock fuchs alloys, a stock steering wheel, period Becker radio, and better back pad and door panels, and center console out of the junkyard. The departure from stock right now is the 2056 with dual carbs. I did save the stock FI and associated parts though.

I'm slowly going back to what I think my car should be, which in my case is mainly stock. Interior, rubber weather seals, and better paint job are down the road. Mikey's fiberglass bumper tops are on order. I also found a stock front valence, and put a dash cap on. I don't mind using things like the dash cap and fiberglass bumper tops. This car will never be concours.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
rex66m
I am in the stock, but to each his own. I have certainly seen some performance mods that look appealing.

One thing you can say about stock (especially re: appearance), on a good car it always stands the test of time.
JawjaPorsche
Wow! Looks like Cujo got a hold of the driver's seat! My teener seats were fried too but I was very fortunate to find newly upholstered seats on Craiglist! I was very lucky. Putting it back to stock is neat! It takes time and a lot of green!

QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 17 2012, 08:22 PM) *

I like the stock look. Mine started out thrashed with a bunch of non-stock parts (worn out rivieras, cut door panels, hole in the dash, homemade carpet, destroyed center console, cheapie aftermarket steering wheel, antenna, and mirror, and cracked fiberglass from air dam) and a horrible oxidized maroon respray.

I took it back to stock light ivory with a cheap paint job, got stock fuchs alloys, a stock steering wheel, period Becker radio, and better back pad and door panels, and center console out of the junkyard. The departure from stock right now is the 2056 with dual carbs. I did save the stock FI and associated parts though.

I'm slowly going back to what I think my car should be, which in my case is mainly stock. Interior, rubber weather seals, and better paint job are down the road. Mikey's fiberglass bumper tops are on order. I also found a stock front valence, and put a dash cap on. I don't mind using things like the dash cap and fiberglass bumper tops. This car will never be concours.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

bembry
Yeah--the seat is pretty rough. Seat covers from well known place are $200 extra for corduroy inserts which I want--yikes.
iamchappy
For me it was all about having the car i want....had a stock one for 30 years.
Now i have the car i always dreamed my 914 to be....
somd914
There is no right or wrong in my opinion, nor do I believe 914s will ever be in the big buck range even for "stock" specimens.

I appreciate the few stock 914s I've seen, but they are not something I want to own - I'll stick with my 2056, 5 bolt Fuchs, lowered suspension, body-color targa top, 904 multi-guage, Momo wheel, custom console, fuel door inthe hood, and a few other goodies. Looking forward to more mods... But do what makes you happy, that's what matters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.