Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh, joy!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
A message from Manny Alban, PCA National President:

As you know, we have been working diligently to choose the next Editor of Porsche Panorama. As a matter of fact, it has taken the better part of this year to identify the right person as we move into the next phase of communications with our members and advertisers.

With this in mind, it is with great pride that I announce the appointment of Pete Stout as the new Editor of Porsche Panorama and Director, Integrated Communications.

A little background on Pete: He comes to PCA from Excellence Magazine, where he has served as Editor-in-Chief since 1998. He is a graduate of Westmont College where he earned dual BAs in English and Communication Studies. He is also a graduate of Bob Bondurant Advanced Road Racing Course and the Porsche Sport Driving School. The club is very excited and proud to have a candidate of Pete's experience and caliber taking us forward.

You will notice the dual title that Pete assumes. The EC, along with the Integrated Communications Committee, felt strongly that moving forward, the role of the Editor needed to be expanded to reflect the communication needs of our membership and sponsor/advertisers. We feel that we have addressed these in the new role for which we interviewed.

Pete succeeds current Panorama Editor-in-Chief, Betty Jo Turner, who will retire at the end of the December after serving more than 42 years. Betty Jo has garnered an immense amount of respect from those in the industry and beyond. We will forever be indebted to her for her incredible work ethic and loyalty to PCA.

Pete officially takes over on January 1, 2013, but is working with Betty Jo between now and the end of the year to ensure a smooth transition. Please join me in welcoming Pete to the PCA family.
Elliot Cannon
I can hardly contain my indifference. yellowsleep[1].gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 16 2012, 08:41 PM) *

I agree. Why can't they give us an option to not receive Panorama?
oldschool
lol..I hope we have some cool new stuff on the pages aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 16 2012, 05:41 PM) *

Perhaps you've heard of 914world member "horizontally-opposed"?

Yeah, he's the new editor. A 914 guy.

How's your indifference now?

--DD
Mike Bellis
Well then we better see at least one 914 in each months issue! evilgrin.gif Everybody already knows what a 911 looks like...
GeorgeRud
As a PCA member of 38 years, I'm thankful for all the years that Betty Jo Turner devoted to Panorama, but I am eagerly awaiting the new editor as it has become stale many years ago.

I remember the fun I had in reading Pano when I got my first Porsche, now I can glance through it in a few minutes and then recycle it. However, I always read Excellence and look forward to each issue. Pete Stout should do a great job and be a breath of fresh air, however, the magazine business certainly is changing and it will be interesting to see how things move forward.
McMark
agree.gif

Way to go Pete! Put your car on the cover! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
I will now officially join the PCA. I have never had any interest in being a member. I approched the membership in MN around 1998 and got the cold shoulder.

WTG Pete! beerchug.gif
BajaXJ92
Congrats, Pete!

Incase you guys don't remember, he was nominated a while back for COTM. smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1569945

He owns one of my favorite 914's on this board. wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2012, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 16 2012, 05:41 PM) *

Perhaps you've heard of 914world member "horizontally-opposed"?

Yeah, he's the new editor. A 914 guy.

How's your indifference now?

--DD

I might have heard of "horizontally-opposed" but I sure don't know who he is. Perhaps if he used his real name I might know him better. Horizontally-opposed does sound pretty cool though. Is that the name he will use in Pando? happy11.gif
Krieger
Silly question. So is Pete done at Excellence? Congrats Pete. beer3.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 16 2012, 07:11 PM) *

agree.gif

Way to go Pete! Put your car on the cover! biggrin.gif

No... My car!
campbellcj
I look forward to the change. I still receive and 'read' Pano but I am typically done with it in 5-10 minutes and then into the recycle bin it goes. In contrast I actually read a substantial portion of Excellence - and I save them...
poorsche914
I have a stack of upopened Panos lying on the floor near my desk dry.gif

driving.gif
brant
congrats Pete.

I just let my PCA membership slide a couple of months ago after a consecutive 24year run

I may have to re-up now...

brant
Michael N
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Oct 16 2012, 11:12 PM) *

I look forward to the change. I still receive and 'read' Pano but I am typically done with it in 5-10 minutes and then into the recycle bin it goes. In contrast I actually read a substantial portion of Excellence - and I save them...

Exact same here, Pano get recycled and Excellence gets saved. Although the cover photo on Pano is always awesome.

Congrats Pete!
SirAndy

That is good news indeed!

first.gif

TJB/914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 16 2012, 10:42 PM) *

As a PCA member of 38 years, I'm thankful for all the years that Betty Jo Turner devoted to Panorama, but I am eagerly awaiting the new editor as it has become stale many years ago.

I remember the fun I had in reading Pano when I got my first Porsche, now I can glance through it in a few minutes and then recycle it. However, I always read Excellence and look forward to each issue. Pete Stout should do a great job and be a breath of fresh air, however, the magazine business certainly is changing and it will be interesting to see how things move forward.

agree.gif
I agree Pete Stout is great additon to Pano & a stand up guy. PCA made a great business decision for the future of Porsche/Pano readership. Now I wonder how EXCELLENCE will handle this change. stirthepot.gif Wow, our 914 world is changing. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
BKLA
I look forward to the changes that Pete will bring! Rather than reading one to two articles I find interesting a year, I hope to see a better diversity of article type and quality writing with Pete at the helm.

No disrespect to the previous editors. Having been our local PCA newsletter editor in the past, it is a thankless job that can be all consuming.
bandjoey
Tech corner this issue has an oil cooler question From a 914 owner. Who'd think? Respect...lets all sing along. R..e..s..p..e..c..t. Sock it to me baby!

horizontally-opposed
Many thanks, guys!

I've been between computers and am just back from Petit Le Mans, where I spied a couple of cool 914s, including a very cool red four.

Anyway, I got my start in a 914 so they'll always be special to me, and the one I've got will remain in the garage for good. And while I suspect the next 12-24 months are gonna be crazy, just as the last 12-24 have, I'll still be lurking here from time to time!

red914.jpg

Best,

pete
Krieger
Congratulation! Do you need to move?
Cupomeat
On the side of Pano, I appreciate the magazine for its new car reviews, historical race articles and European Windows section to better understand the marketplace and what I missed from the racing scene.

Glad to hear it will get even better now!

A car in every garage, a chicken in every pot and a 914 on the cover... in this election year, is this too much to ask for?
underdog
how can it be thankless if he gets paid?
Jgilliam914
I do agree that Pano has been a little stale the last few years. I was always jealous of the adventures the Turners were able to go on due to their status with PCA. When I first joined 25 years ago I couldnt wait to pour over the classifieds each month in hopes to find a gem and buy it before anyone else. But since the age of information technology has exploded the magazine has lost its usefullness. Before I open the Pano each month I always guess what is on the cover be if it is a racing car street car new or classic and it is about the most exciting part of the read.

Good luck Pete and hope someday soon I can envy your position with PCA beerchug.gif
mittelmotor
Hey Pete,

Good luck with the new venture! I have you to thank for getting my first 914 about 12 years ago...the care package you sent of back issues, other articles, etc...and now I went out and bought a second '74 that now has a small (block) upgrade in power. I may have to run the California Melee again with the new car!!

--Doug

bigkensteele
I am not a prolific poster. I am a busy guy who subscribes to about five magazines, and I struggle to get through them and keep up with what I record on the DVR and most importantly, this site.

I posted this thread because I have been subscribing to Excellence for close to 15 years and have received Pano for nearly as long. There has been a marked improvement in Excellence since Pete has taken the helm. I am certain that they will find a suitable replacement for him, and that the publication will continue to flourish. Pano, on the other hand, has been boring since I have been a member of PCA. By no means do I want to diminish the efforts of the previous editor - she clearly loves Porsche and the community, but the publication has grown a bit tired.

I truly feel that Pete will bring a new life to the magazine that will turn it from a 10 minute skim to cover-to-cover keeper, just as he did with Excellence. At the same time, I trust that the owners of Excellence will find another editor to keep that publication strong. I really feel like this is a win-win for those of us who still get excited about getting a new magazine in the mail each month.
mittelmotor
Rest assured, Excellence will be in very capable hands. I'm sworn to secrecy, but he's a veteran who is totally respected in the auto-scribe ranks.
strawman
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Oct 26 2012, 06:54 PM) *

Rest assured, Excellence will be in very capable hands. I'm sworn to secrecy, but he's a veteran who is totally respected in the auto-scribe ranks.

Good, I really enjoy Excellence. The only other mag I read is Grassroots Motorsports. Both have great writing; I might have to join PCA so that I can keep up with Pete's contributions. Good luck Pete!

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.