Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper sticking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Yesterday, my front left modified BMW 320i caliper began squeeking when pedal is off and going slow. Hit the pedal a couple of times and it went away. Got home and checked to see if caliper was hot. Pretty hot.

Is there a quick fix to this; or does the caliper need to be removed and sent in ?
Rusty
Had this happen two weeks ago.

Jack the car up... pull the wheel. Pull A pad out... it'll take some effort.

Using some wood in place of the pad, stomp on the pedal.

Pry the piston back. Repeat. Then repeat process with other pad.

Hopefully, you can break the stuck piston loose. If not, you can probably rebuild the caliper yourself.

-Rusty smoke.gif
jim_hoyland
Thanks for the headsup; Do you lubicate anything after prying ?

What causes the sticking ?

I'll try it tomorrow after work
Rusty
Nope. No lubrication.

Rust in the cylinder bore usually causes the cylinders to stick. You can usually polish it out with some 400+ grit sandpaper when you do the rebuild.

If you can R&R a caliper, you CAN rebuild the caliper. smile.gif Recommend you do both both calipers on the same axle. Invest in a couple cans of brake cleaner to help clean things up.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Before you do all that, hit the pedal hard, check the drag after it's released, then hit it again, release it, and crack the bleeder. If the drag is released, replace the front hoses with nice new OE rubber ones. The Cap'n
jim_hoyland
Do you think there is a defect in the hose ? Interestinly, the squeek ( rubbing againgt the rotor) alway returns when I brake to make a 90 degree turn. Would that make sense ?...

Thanks.
mike_the_man
Could be kinking the hose when turning. If you don't know the condition of the hoses, it wouldn't hurt to replace them. They're not that expensive, and the front ones are easy to replace. The back hoses, on the other hand, not quite so easy.
jim_hoyland
Hmm.. thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.