Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
So this seems pretty typical for these cars and the older VWs that I have owned, you get one thing fixed and something else goes wrong. I finally got the thing on the road and was driving around the neighborhood. Pulled into the driveway and turn the lights off, as soon as I switch them off they start going up and down non stop. If I turn the lights back on the stay up and work fine. So now anytime I turn the key on the lights go up and down or basically the motors just keep running.

I think an evil spirit has entered the car and I hope on this day of Ghouls and Goblins it finds it's way out. Any Ideas on how to help it.
Aaron Cox
happened to me too. forgot what i did to fix it tho. i just laughed at it. laugh.gif
Rhodes71/914
Thank Aaron that helps a lot. Pretty much what I did when I saw it happen.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 31 2004, 01:39 PM)
Thank Aaron that helps a lot. Pretty much what I did when I saw it happen.

sorry- quirky little car makes me laugh. have you had a random winshiled wiper motion yet? biggrin.gif

i think i unplugged the headlights and plugged em back in, that made my prob go away
McMark
Try cleaning the ground on the back of the headlight buckets and take of the linkage covers (if they're there) and pull and replace the relay a few times to clean the contacts. I would suspect that will help.
Rhodes71/914
Random windshield wipers would be more action than i get out of my wipers. Nuther elec prob to deal with, gas tank is almost empty, will pull it and check out wiper motor.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Oct 31 2004, 02:08 PM)
Try cleaning the ground on the back of the headlight buckets and take of the linkage covers (if they're there) and pull and replace the relay a few times to clean the contacts.

agree.gif

improper ground can make them do this. i had a very similar problem, except mine would go up/down every time i used the turn signal (in the same interval as the signal).
kind of like the old "wavey" turn signals on cars from the 30s ...

unsure.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2004, 02:22 PM)
kind of like the old "wavey" turn signals on cars from the 30s ...

unsure.gif Andy

ahhh...semaphore signals wink.gif
IronHillRestorations
Very first 914 I owned, a 74 1.8 back in '78, had a interesting quirk with the headlights. If you turned them on and off quickly to flash someone, just one side would operate with a unique "winking action" wink.gif

Kinda wish I could get one to do that now laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.