Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations for new 914 owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ronnie J
Hello 914 Club, wavey.gif
I'm new to the 914 world and have a couple questions. I am currently in Alaska and will be here for 20 months as a military contractor and my 914 is in Virginia. It is a 75 and does not have the original engine it has a 1.7 duel 40mm carbs and a 009 dizzy. I have had the interior redone and it will be repainted this spring. What Iam wondering is what dizzy should I be running and are 40mm carbs a good choice for this engine. Any and all recommedations are appreciated. Also it is yellow cause I heard there faster rolleyes.gif

Thanks,
Ronnie J
Bleyseng
The original FI dizzy is better than that 009 or find a 1.8L Ljet one. If you want to spend some cash get a Mallory.

The advance curve is the difference between them all with the 009 sucking and the Mallory being adjustable.
The 40's are fine but what kind of linkage are you running? Take the car to a dyno shop to get the carbs dialed in (A/F) wise.

Geoff
Rusty
Hi Ronnie! Welcome! clap56.gif

Another route might be to have your distributor recurved to something with a better advance. While the 009 advance curve works, it's not the ideal distributor for our engine. It was designed as a distributor for a stationary industrial motor.

If you have pictures of your baby, we'd love to see them!

-Rusty smoke.gif
Ronnie J
Sorry, I don't have any pictures and won't till spring after it's painted. I really do miss her but it was unreasonable to ship it from Virginia to Alaska and it will give my buddy who owns a classic car restoration shop plenty of time to do her up right. wub.gif
914forme
If you got the bucks the Mallory is the only way to go here.

If you have even more $$$$$$$ Kit Carlson EFI with ignition will be the only way to go, or SDS with ignition. Both of these would solve your carb issues - unless you like carbs, and your ignition system.

I myself HATE carbs ar15.gif only thing I have with a carb is my Glastron 21SSV boat, and I am replacing that carb this winter, EFI baby yeah!
type47
well..... i live in VA, i could drive your 914 for you..... keep the battery charged.... you know, keep the tires from flat-spotting.... driving.gif
Ronnie J
What would a KIT CARLSON EFI and ignition cost and where can I go on line to take a look????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.