Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It lives! And now even drives... daily.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
Took the motor out of this car 04/2011. Finally got the replacement in and cabled/hosed up. Fired right up as soon as I got the carbs full of gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0IEl28fFGM&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0IEl28fFGM
McMark
Sweet! mueba.gif
rick 918-S
Awesome! Ready for the next RRC!
Pat Garvey
Sweat!
sixnotfour
Nice !!!
Kirmizi
Bout time Gint, just in time for winter poke.gif
Glad to see it's running again!
Mike
mepstein
Good job!

Hey, can I have that old red tub that's been sitting around forever?
Gint
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Oct 18 2012, 06:02 PM) *

Hiya Mike! Winter, big deal. I'll get a pic in January with the top off when it's 50 and sunny.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2012, 07:00 PM) *

It's tangerine, and... no. biggrin.gif

Video was taken with open heat exchangers. I still need to swap out those 1.7/1.8 SSI's for 2.0 units so I can get my new triad installed. Also needs rear rotor/calipers at the very least. I have PMB calipers, rotors and Porterfields for all four corners.

There are worse ways to spend a week off work!
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 19 2012, 10:46 AM) *

Hiya Mike! Winter, big deal. I'll get a pic in January with the top off when it's 50 and sunny.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2012, 07:00 PM) *

It's tangerine, and... no. biggrin.gif

Video was taken with open heat exchangers. I still need to swap out those 1.7/1.8 SSI's for 2.0 units so I can get my new triad installed. Also needs rear rotor/calipers at the very least. I have PMB calipers, rotors and Porterfields for all four corners.

There are worse ways to spend a week off work!

Ha, gotta love Colorado, I will look forward to said photo!

Agreed, there are far worse ways to spend a week off, I'd choose 914 wrenching any day over a week on a cruise ship full of boring tourists! welder.gif
Gint
The transaxle I rebuilt in the Colorado Dr. Evil transaxle rebuild clinic works!

Yesterday I slapped on an old 1.7 glasspack muffler from the stash, installed the shift rod and half-ass adjusted it. Drove it 1/2 a mile. Glad I put Stabil in the gas tank about 100 miles before we pulled the motor out of it in April of 2011. I'm now sold on that stuff.

I might put off the brake replacements until next week when the whether goes to crap. This thing could stand to have a few miles put on it.
sixnotfour
smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
Took a 6 mile round trip to get gas and a quickie wash to get rid of 18 months of dust.

Transaxle shifts like buttah! Thanks Doc.

Thermostat doesn't work. Good thing I didn't cable it to the flapper rod.
Madswede
Kick ass! first.gif
Gint
I put 2.0 SSI's on today and my brand new Triad. Much better than that temporary rusty old glass pack. Got in a valve adjustment with the exchangers off. Easy-peasy... they were all tight. Glad I fixed that. Carbs that sat for 2 years still aren't right. Stumble when on the mains. Idles like a dream though. I should rebuild 'em, but I'm thinking about have ACE do a set for me anyway. I might even buy a couple of new Empi HMPX 40's and have them sent straight to ACE to clean out and jet.

Right now the car is driving and it's still a blast. Especially after not driving a 914 for a year and a half.
al weidman
Good on ya Gint. I dropped a valve seat on my test drive for the 2011 WCR in May 2011, found some rebuilt heads, 2.0, installed them and the motor has been sitting at the back of my car for a year. Lost the driver's side banjo bolt to my del orto 40's and have not been able to find it. Every couple of weeks or so, I get on my hands and knees and look around but it has not materialized yet. I have no idea why I didn't just put it back in the carb when I pulled the fuel line off. headbang.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(al weidman @ Nov 3 2012, 08:16 PM) *

Good on ya Gint. I dropped a valve seat on my test drive for the 2011 WCR in May 2011, found some rebuilt heads, 2.0, installed them and the motor has been sitting at the back of my car for a year. Lost the driver's side banjo bolt to my del orto 40's and have not been able to find it. Every couple of weeks or so, I get on my hands and knees and look around but it has not materialized yet. I have no idea why I didn't just put it back in the carb when I pulled the fuel line off. headbang.gif

Al,
I would be honored to buy you a new banjo bolt... biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE(al weidman @ Nov 3 2012, 09:16 PM) *
You'll find it right after you buy a replacement. laugh.gif

I forgot what a PITA that german jigsaw puzzle of heater tubes are. Seems to work. I need one of those J tube caps.

McMark's speedo drive mod works great!
rick 918-S
I found a rubber cap that fit the J tube at either Home Depot or Menards in the plumbing dept. It may have been part of a kit of some kind. It was a tight fit (or loose...can't remember..) but i clamped it on and it works great!
Gint
Thanks Rick. I'll go have a look today.
Scott S
Hooray! piratenanner.gif

I cant remember what jets are in those carbs. I will look and see if I can find anything on them. All I ever did was up the idle jets.

Valves were tight? That is weird. They had not been adjusted for probably two years prior to pulling the motor, as the car was not being driven very much. I would have thought they would have been a bit loose!

beerchug.gif

Gint
Yup, tight. I know what they are now and I'll be checking them again as soon as I get Mikey914 valve cover gaskets.

To do list...
Side valances repainted. New clutch cable. Fine tune shift linkage adjustment (only put a wrench on it once). Wideband A/F gauge install before I mess with carbs so I can get a baseline. This thing could really use new door, front and side targa seals. I have plenty stashed.

Pic for fun...

Click to view attachment
Socalandy
WOW, That looks great. Cant wait to hear it aktion035.gif
bcheney
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 5 2012, 11:21 PM) *

WOW, That looks great. Cant wait to hear it aktion035.gif

Congrats!! I love to hear stories about cars getting back underway! It looks great and Triad's are so cool!
Gint
Glad to see it's running again!
Mike

Winter's almost here!

I talked to ACE again today about carbs and jets.

For posterity:
60 idles
115 mains
F11
2.0 AC
28mm Vent

Click to view attachment
Kirmizi
Winter, what's that? biggrin.gif
Drive it like ya stole it Gint!
Mike
914werke
Nice Job Mike!
saigon71
Looks & sounds great! beerchug.gif
Gint
Ordered jets and venturis from ACE.

aircooledengineering.com
Gint
Package from Art Thraen arrived yesterday. I'll have to wait until next week though. Shar and I are off to LA in an hour.

Click to view attachment
Gint
I got a care package from Tangerine Racing today. New MSD wires custom fit for a 914 with tin boots and a new cap for my Mallory. One tower had gotten some light corrosion and the MDS wires I had were always too short. Thanks Chris. Definite drivability improvement. Slight, but there none the less.

shelby/914
Now we ave two running cars. Brought mine home Wednesday and been driving it like I stole it. Even have proof, Rex, Ron and Kevin have seen or driven it. Heat even works so we can go for a winter drive.

Dan
Gint
I drove mine today! AFR gauge is hooked up. Pretty amusing...
AZ914
Congrats!
rhodyguy
good stuff mike. swapped out for 32mm vents? what was amusing about the a/f ratio? did you remember the small metal covers that go over the idle air adj screw o-rings? art and ACE in general are sure easy to deal with.

k
jbyron
That exhaust looks badass! Nice, Mike!
bandjoey
Looking good. How bout posting the sound of the triad?
Gint
Maybe after I get back next week.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 30 2012, 08:19 AM) *
good stuff mike. swapped out for 32mm vents? what was amusing about the a/f ratio? did you remember the small metal covers that go over the idle air adj screw o-rings? art and ACE in general are sure easy to deal with.

k

I haven't adjusted carbs yet.
Gint
Carbs rebuilt and back on, car running, driving. I need to do some more tuning, but I'd prefer to wait until McMark's bellcrank linkage kit shows up.
rick 918-S
Nice!
euro911
beerchug.gif
Kirmizi
Soooo is it going to make it to Rt66? beerchug.gif
Gint
Probably drive the 911 to that. It even came with a set of chains.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.