Full Version: Our 914's are Beautiful
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Show 'em this: I'd rather be caught riding a moped av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
laugh.gif
rex66m
I disagree. The espada is another quirky but cool style from the 70s, just like the 914
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 19 2012, 09:09 AM) *

Show 'em this: I'd rather be caught riding a moped av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

I wonder if that triangle window adjusts...
JRust
Hey Mopeds are cool.

Unless your riding bitch on one anyway happy11.gif
JmuRiz
Not a fan of the Espada...the Jarama is a WAY better looking Lambo family car.
ScoopLV
For me the late-60s to mid-70s was the pinnacle of automotive body styling. I wouldn't exactly kick an Espada out of my garage for eating crackers. But this is the same period that gave us this:

IPB Image

And this:

IPB Image

And this:

IPB Image

And this:

IPB Image

In fact, the only sports car from this era that I really don't like is this:

IPB Image

To me, it looks like a Ford Pinto Station Wagon raped a Jaguar.
patrick3000
Here are a few pictures of my moped - I think it is cool beerchug.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
rex66m
QUOTE(ScoopLV @ Oct 19 2012, 01:40 PM) *

For me the late-60s to mid-70s was the pinnacle of automotive body styling. I wouldn't exactly kick an Espada out of my garage for eating crackers. But this is the same period that gave us this:

In fact, the only sports car from this era that I really don't like is this:

To me, it looks like a Ford Pinto Station Wagon raped a Jaguar.

yep, Miura and the Dino....as pretty as it gets
bfrymire
QUOTE(rex66m @ Oct 19 2012, 10:51 AM) *

I disagree. The espada is another quirky but cool style from the 70s, just like the 914

I am also a fan of the espada. I would be ok with one in my garage.

:-)

--brett
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Oct 19 2012, 11:41 AM) *

Here are a few pictures of my moped - I think it is cool beerchug.gif

I want it!
ScoopLV
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 19 2012, 12:50 PM) *

I want it!

Patrick, with that design, do you have to fight against the engine when pedaling? I'd love to know more about how effective it is as a bicycle. (No intention of getting one, just interested.)
stuttgart46
Favorite Lambo of all time. Definitively one of my bucket list cars.
pt_700
i agree with scoop on the mid 60's to 70's being a good time for automotive styling.

i found the 914 to be a bit quirky until i owned one, then it's looks really grew on me. depsite the rather worn condition of my current teener, i often get compliments while driving here in silly-con valley.

one of my favorites from the era is this very rare ferrari (1965 365 tp). only 3 were made. i have an old road and track with a feature. there's a pic of a red one within that has a beautiful rear spoiler in stainless. apparently, these also had rear ends that got light at speed, probably due to the vertical rear window. one intersting feature of this car is the central driver's seat. there's room for a passenger to each side. one for a spouse and another for a lover was a comment i'd read...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
billh1963
Don't be too quick to dismiss the Espada. My first encounter with the Espada was in 1986. I was a newly graduated engineer (EE) and Ferrari and Lamborghini prices were still reasonable. My roommate (graduated with me) came across an ad for an Espada in Columbia, SC. Price was around $10K.

It was a Saturday and we didn't have anything to do so we went to check it out. It was about an hour drive up in my roomate's '83 X1/9. As we got close to the address we saw a funny looking car at the gas station and realized it was the Espada. The owner was gassing it up so we stopped. As we checked out the car the owner said my roommate could ride with him and I could follow in the X1/9. I should have known it was going to be interesting when he told me to go ahead and leave and he would catch up to me...and I could follow him in.

What happened next is something my old roomate and I still talk about. I was about a mile or two up the road when I heard the most amazing...almost visceral...noise I had ever heard. To this day I swear my hair stood up on the back of my neck. The very few of you who have ever heard a Lamborghini V-12 at full song running near redline will know what I mean. I literally heard the Espada before I saw it...and then it blew by at a speed well over 100. My roommate swears he saw an indicated 150.

They were out of the car waiting on me when I showed up at the guy's house a few minutes later. My roommate never stopped grinning.

Quirky looking? yes. Pure awesome....no doubt! I would take an Esapada any day...just to relive the emotion that sound evoked one more time!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Back when the 914 was introduced, and during its production days, the pundits, critics, and scribes typically criticized the 914s' design as "awkward", "uninspired", "bland" and "one not dare call it pretty".

In todays context of current auto designs available, herewith are some autos that re-define "awkward" and "not pretty". As a matter of fact, they hurt my eyes to look at them......

By contrast, the 914 looks clean, uncluttered, restrained, and svelte.

Some of the ugliest on the planet......
1970 Neun vierzehn
...and barf.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
and for a little more money, you've got barf.gif barf.gif
veltror
I will raise you

bugsy0
With the amazing capability of modern mfg. technology, designs tend to be over embellished and just plain silly. I can imagine a conversation in the studio at nissan, "Oh that's sick! And we could add fake rivets here, big black bulges there, and bright metallic pink wings so it looks like a transformer!" ugh
Eric_Shea
That Derringer is amazing and yes, 914's have "quirky" looks. wink.gif

How much is a Derringer?????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.